What's new

H/T for beginners... (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Jordan,

No, for simplicity, I would run everything to the

receiver via S-video, and run S-video from the receiver

to the TV. That takes care of the video only. Audio is

another story.

My system:

Video;

IN-Cable Tv service > VCR > converter > receiver (S-video)

IN-DVD > receiver (S-video)

OUT-Receiver > TV (S-Video)

Audio:

IN-VCR > Receiver (analog L/R cables).

IN-DVD > Receiver (optical fiber).

IN-CD > Receiver (optical fiber).

IN-Tape > Receiver (analog L/R cables).

OUT- speakers & etc.

I use the TV as a video monitor only.

I use the receiver to switch everything, threw away the

TV remote and 'trained' the receiver remote to 'talk'

to the VCR/DVD/CD/& Tape Deck.

This is a very easy to use set-up, with the

main drawback being no PIP.

JRS

Alex Giese

Grip
Jordan- From what I understand (I hope) whatever video connector you use coming from DVD, VCR, and cable box to the receiver must be the same as the connector from receiver to TV.

Since your VCR doesn't have S-Video, you need to use a converter between the VCR and receiver that will change the composite (RCA type)to S-Video.

Component cable has 3 jacks for video while composite has 2 jacks. Do a search on these for more explanation on what component is as I don't have the technical ability to explain from top of head.

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Jordan,

Saab is stock with the 6 pack CD changer in the trunk.

The interesting thing is, the sound level of the buzz

seems to be gettin louder each month.

JRS

Really..... Very interesting... Hmm, I'm thinking either your alternator is going bad (certainly a possibility after 5 years) and is generating more RF noise as it dies, or your ground is coming loose. Either way, it SHOULD still be under warranty, you might want the dealer to check it out if you feel skittish about tearing apart your car.

Now, why would someone upgrade their house to high heaven for great sound, and use a stock system in their car? =)

Jordan

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Jordan,

I talk on phone while in the car.

I'll check the alternator ground and etc. because the

noise seems to 'spin-up' and 'spin-down', but not really

follow engine speed. I'll bet you are right, thanks.

JRS

Yeah, the Alt spins up & down, but also spins in direct relation to the engine too. I'm pretty sure that's your problem, and the dealer can do a simple test on that alt to see for sure.

But hey, it could be worse... I'm in the process of putting the equivalent of $3500 into my car stereo upgrades. It's a hell of a lot simpler that home audio, if you ask me. MOST mid-high end head units all sound pretty close to each other, go for looks and features. Amps are straight forward... I dunno, maybe I'm just more familiar with the 12v world. =)

Jordan

JerryW

Supporting Actor
How is the Onkyo better? They have better higher current amps, cleaner sound in 2 channel music, better remote, and better build quality. The Kenwoods aren't junk... they're just not in the same league as the 595.

How about the VR-509 to the Onkyo 575 that Jim is selling? The only thing missing from the Onkyo is DLP2, it seems, does that make that much of a difference?

Jordan

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
I can't speak to how it's BETTER becuase I don't know the specs of the Kenwood.. but go here and check out the specs on the ONKYO. It's a great receiver. It decodes DTS, 5.1, good power for a started HT. I had a SONY SE-501 and upgraded to the ONKYO and was astonished by the difference.
Check it out...
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?cl...=TX-DS575x&p=i
Jim

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I'm with you Jordan on the transition. I've been a car audio enthusiast with an occasional show system (years back) and in the early 90's, begame interested in HT. And I thought CAR AUDIO was EXPENSIVE!!!! Uou are right though about the learning curve and HT has a lot more stuff to consider and a lot of buttons and remotes to contend with....... but then again if you fall off the couch when the Spinosaur attacks, then no fenders are hurt!!!

The simpliest HT system is definitely harder to manuver than most high end car audio configs but the hobby is well worth it.... Having a background and knowledge in car audio is definitely gonna benefit you when you start evaluating what you have in your HT system and help you make some wise choices.

Good luck with your new fever.... it ain't gonna get any better for a while.... LOL

But at least here you'll find many more thrashing about with the same malady! And we'll even reach out to drag you in further!

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Despite it's lack of DPL2, it's a very fine HT receiver. I still use my 575x in my secondary HT (I have a 797 for my primary system) and it's just great. It's a beefy, well built piece of equipment with pure clean power.

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
That is too funny.. I'm a car audio/video man too! I have the Alpine IVA800 in my car hooked to the Alpine DVA 5202 DVD player w/ monitors in my rear head rests. ;)
I used to be very into the car scene going to car shows.. etc. Check out my website.. it's actually my buddies business but I do his website (he does my car) and my car is one of his show cars. Web site is in DESPERATE need of an update.. everything is super old.. but you get the idea.
http://www.streeteffectz.com/
Jim

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry, I just ordered the 898 I can't wait to get it! Can't wait for the extra 2 channels and the extra BEEF! :)

LOL Donny, no kidding... You don't even realise what my head has been plotting for furture upgrades for my house. Have you ever heard the new JL W7 or Image Dynamics IDMax? Best subs I've ever heard, with the W7 getting the nod, but also twice the price. These things would be INSANE in a home setup. I mean, the IDMax has 10% more cone area than an average 12, 27mm(?) one way X-max, handles 1500w with EASE, and takes a 1.3 cubic foot sealed box, with 93Db sensitivity, 1w/1m. Damn, one's in my room waiting to be installed in my car, but I'm tempted to hook it up for my house. =) Not bad for $280.

Jordan

Jim, looks like your friend does decent work. =) I'm looking to get my new install done soon, maybe I'll check their shop out. I was going to go to Sounds Impossible in Highlands, as they have a great rep, but hey, never can have too many options. =)

Jordan

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Do some more HT reseach Jordan.... read up on the SVS subs ;) I just ordered one of these bad boys with a seperate amp for power.
Supposedly it's "THE" amp for HT. I'll give you guys my HT newbie review once I get it.. I can't wait!
Jim

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I was thinking about the 898, but I got an incredible deal from an authorized dealer on a new 797 and couldn't pass it up (

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks