What's new

Green as grass and need advice (1 Viewer)

Lynn Bean

Auditioning
Real Name
Lynn
I've purchased a sharp front projector(PG-C30XU) for next to nothing and am interested in making a home theater system for a few hundred bucks. The projector only has 150 hours on the bulb and the picture looks good. I want the best picture I can get and there are three inputs that look like I could use: a single RCA jack, an S video and a RS-232C. What little research I've done tells me the RCA won't work in HD. Help!

Also, what's a good, cheap Home theater system. We're not perfectionists, just want decent video and sound.

Last, I've been looking at screen "goo", to paint a screen, is this any good?

projectionguys

Auditioning
Real Name
Projection Guys
There should be a VGA connection (monitor) on the projector right? Most projectors can accept a Component to VGA adapter. Read the manual to make sure. That would be your best quality option outside of digital. Please understand that a XGA projector will never do true HD.

Goo can be challenging. We have many people call us after to get an Elite Fixed screen. It can be uneven and produce hotspotting.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I have been using a Screen Goo screen for over a year and am happy with it. Make sure that your wall is clean and flat. I had the projector mounted and I used it to outline where the screen goes. then I painted about 1" over the line. Once the paint is dry, I turned on the projector again and outlined where the frame will start. The rest is simple painting, not much to it. Then I painted and nailed a frame around it. Here is the finished look.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Based on your description, you only have two choices, composite (RCA) and s-video. Of the two, s-video will give you better quality, but it won't handle an HD signal, either.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks