What's new

Gravity (2013) (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Tino said:
I don't know about " shaky cam" but there is a lot of vertigo inducing visual effects in the film. My wife said she was a bit queasy in the beginning but got used to it.YMMV
I had that problem initially with Gravity too, but it did settle down. While it's not really shaky, the movie opens with a camera that is constantly moving with no real sense of what is up and what is down---kind of like space. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tino said:
**** out if ****Easily the best film of the year so far for me.Every few years a film comes along that advances filmmaking into the next level. GRAVITY is that film. From the opening shot to the last shot, the film is an unrelenting terrifying journey.The fx are amazing. You will feel as though you are in space. Technically it is excellent across the board. And the music is great too enhancing the suspense superbly.Bullock and Clooney are terrific, especially Bullock. I can't remember a film that had me literally on the edge if my seat for the entire running time. It is truly that awesome.Oh and SEE IT IN IMAX 3D!!Seriously, if any film needs to be seen in that format, Gravity is that film.WOW is right!I can't wait to see it again.
I feel the same way about this film. It will go down as one of the great space films. I watched it in IMAX 3-D too and it really enhanced my enjoyment level.

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
Wasn't sure I would be prepared for onslaught of drama, tension, and effects that early reviewers have remarked about. I needn't have worried. "Gravity" is spellbinding cinema. The 3D effects were well implemented. Especially when her face is refracted in one of her tears floating in the cabin. Remarkable cinematography throughout the entire film.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Saw it tonight in Regal RPX 3D.

Some nits about orbital mechanics aside (it would not be as easy to hop from shuttle to station to station as in this film - they fly in different orbital inclination, altitudes and velocities and aren't that conveniently close to each other), I thought Bullock and Clooney did a fantastic job, the effects were simply incredible. It was hard watching all of that beautiful space hardware (billions of dollars worth) get destroyed, though.

(I would have been more impressed if the Chinese station had been harder to get to - say, she had to do a burn in the Soyuz to match orbits, and drift for a while until it caught up, only then to run out of fuel and need to use the landing rockets to get there - would have been more realistic and not required much adjustment to the story)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
A simply wonderful film. I saw it in 3D but not IMAX. I'm going to bring my wife and remedy that. Gravity must be seen on the biggest screen possible. It's beautifully shot.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Friend of mine saw it yesterday. Said it could do for home 4k what Avatar couldn't do for 3d.Of course the caveat being if the industry learns from the prior mistake of bundled equipment/content...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
Did you get motion sickness Travis?
Fortunately, no (another feather in the movie's cap!). Even the spinning/vertigo shots didn't bother me so I guess it's just the truly shaky cam movies (not the Bourne movies but stuff like Cloverfield or The Blair Witch Project) that get to me.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Gravity" was 'mazing movie-making. It was a bravura effort with equally riveting dramatic tension. The 3D effects were used properly, to set the stage of the story, and immerse the viewer into the environment of outer space and pull them into this most dire of situations, being adrift in space, but trying to find a way back to Earth against heavy odds. It's a simple plotline of survival, set in space, but so deftly directed by Cuaron and anchored by a solid performance by Bullock, with a good supporting turn by Clooney.

It's one of the few films in 3D where it's worth the extra cost for the 3D viewing.

I give it 3.75 stars, or a grade of A-.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Watched it tonight in a double header with Captain Phillips. Thought it was very, very good. And thankfully I didn't get seasick. TravisR has me apparently nailed - Blair Witch made me so sick at my stomach I left part way through to go vomit. Still one of the worst film experiences I have ever had.

The 3D on this definitely pays off. The setting, the structure and cinematography are incredible. Just two things.

A small real spoiler
I was surprised to see Clooney go so early, but it definitely ramped the tension and I thought that scene was gold.

Now, in regards to the end of the film..

The person I went with felt fairly confident that her character died in the Russian space craft when it was free floating, and everything after that was like a long oxygen deprived hallucination. I didn't think of it that way, but as we parted at the theater I keep thinking about that interpretation and it would make a lot of sense for the pacing and elements though I guess I'd find it a cheat. My friend was completely confident she had died earlier because of the way she splashed to earth and there was no one, and contended her passing out on the beach was just the last hurrah for her mind. I think I'll stick with the happier thought that she made it, but I'm wondering if others had different ways of looking at the end.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow. Fantastic film. I liked this much better than his "Chldren of Men"; Although, I have to credit the cinematography in both films. The cinematography in his films is always impressive. This is the first live action film shot in 3D that really impressed me. Some of the mechanics of motion in space were kind of screwed up for the sake of a good story, but this film moved relentlessly. A film about a space shuttle mission could have been extremely boring, but he managed to make a damn good story of it; although, I thought the triggering event was a little far-fetched. There wasn't a boring moment in it. This film shows that it doesn't have to take 9 hours to tell a good story.

The effects in the film were absolutely top-notch. You really got a "you-are-there" feeling. This is one film that I really would like to be able to see on a true IMAX screen. The only downside of watching this film was the constant reminder that the only manned lift capacity the United States has left is the one depicted in a movie. I'm going to give this one an A. That might not be saying much in my case, because I'm probably one of the few people who thinks "Marooned" is a great film.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Regarding the ending.

The person I went with felt fairly confident that her character died in the Russian space craft when it was free floating, and everything after that was like a long oxygen deprived hallucination. I didn't think of it that way, but as we parted at the theater I keep thinking about that interpretation and it would make a lot of sense for the pacing and elements though I guess I'd find it a cheat. My friend was completely confident she had died earlier because of the way she splashed to earth and there was no one, and contended her passing out on the beach was just the last hurrah for her mind. I think I'll stick with the happier thought that she made it, but I'm wondering if others had different ways of looking at the end.

I never had any doubts in my mind that she made it. The film would have been ruined to have her go through the tribulations that she did only to have her hallucinate the last third of the film due to oxygen starvation.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Edwin-S said:
Wow. Fantastic film. I liked this much better than his "Chldren of Men"; Although, I have to credit the cinematography in both films. The cinematography in his films is always impressive. This is the first live action film shot in 3D that really impressed me. Some of the mechanics of motion in space were kind of screwed up for the sake of a good story, but this film moved relentlessly. A film about a space shuttle mission could have been extremely boring, but he managed to make a damn good story of it; although, I thought the triggering event was a little far-fetched. There wasn't a boring moment in it. This film shows that it doesn't have to take 9 hours to tell a good story.

The effects in the film were absolutely top-notch. You really got a "you-are-there" feeling. This is one film that I really would like to be able to see on a true IMAX screen. The only downside of watching this film was the constant reminder that the only manned lift capacity the United States has left is the one depicted in a movie. I'm going to give this one an A. That might not be saying much in my case, because I'm probably one of the few people who thinks "Marooned" is a great film.
Don't you mean "the world"?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Don't you mean "the world"?
Russia still has Soyuz. I guess by "manned lift capacity" I mean the ability to put a man into space. Since retirement of the shuttle the U.S has no means to put a man into space other than to use Russian Soyuz capsules and launch facilities. Or have I missed news about the Russians retiring their Soyuz capsules?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
GRAVITY opens to $55 million..biggest October opening ever. From Deadline.com
Alfonso Cuaron’s premium-priced space drama starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney is looking at a record-setting $55.5M weekend for what execs tell me is the largest October opening weekend of all time. Other records include the largest IMAX opening in October, largest openings ever for Bullock and Clooney, and 2nd largest for Cuaron. Good thing then Warner Bros Pictures chief Jeff Robinov took this script out of turnaround at Universal after Cuaron and his reps asked for it back when David Linde left. After all, Cuaron really freshened WB’s Harry Potter franchise with the Prisoner Of Azkaban. This Oscar-buzzed original thriller scripted by Cuaron with his son Jonas about astronauts with its dazzling VFX earned an impressive ’A-’ CinemaScore from audiences. So the studio is predicting it’ll have long legs. Pic did $17.5M Friday (including $1.4M for Thursday 10 PM late shows and Friday midnights), then bumped up +35% to $23.5M Saturday in what is a traditionally slow time at the domestic box office which has been lagging of late. ”Would create a new window for a tentpole release,” Warner Bros Domestic Distribution czar Dan Fellman predicted Friday – and proved correct. Two of the studio’s previous Best Picture Oscar winners — The Departed (2006) and last year’s winner Argo — opened on the exact same weekend. Gravity already has the same awards buzz. With runs in 3,575 locations, it’s also important to note that a whopping 3,150 of those are premium 3D and did $44.2M and 323 IMAX which did $34.7M. It would be too simplistic to say that the enthusiastic reviews for Gravity were solely responsible for the 1.4% uptick in IMAX shares Friday morning — ending this week’s startling 10% drop. But the film took in $420,000 from 323 IMAX theaters in late shows so poised to provide a “noticeable jolt” to investor expectations, according to Wall Street analysts. Lots of debate over the budget of this pic ranging from $80M to $120M.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
I guess Russian Soyuz only puts Americans into space...
Don't be ridiculous. My remarks on this can, in no way, be interpreted as Soyuz only puts Americans into space. There are only three countries that have the capacity to put up crewed space missions. The U.S, Russia and, as of 2003, the Chinese. With the retirement of the shuttle, there are now only two countries at the present time with vehicles available to launch crewed missions: the Russians and the Chinese. As far as I know NASA was working on a "new" launch system for crewed missions. As far as I know it isn't anywhere near ready for carrying a crew into space. Right now, the only way U.S astronauts or the astronauts of any Western nations can get up to the ISS is by using Russian launch vehicles. Right now, with the retirement of the shuttle, the U.S has no independent means of putting a crew into space. Have I made myself clearer now?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Fantastic film. The last few months of the year will have to work really hard to top this as the Best Picture of the year. George Clooney should be a lock for a Best Supporting Actor nomination, and Sandra Bullock is pretty much a lock to win the whole damn thing as Best Actress.And I'm definitely glad I read the recommendations here to see the film in 3D, when I usually hate 3D. It's right up there with Avatar among my great 3D experiences at the movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks