What's new

GoVideo 3840 (1 Viewer)

JohnCN

Auditioning
I am looking for an easy, reliable DVD recorder-VCR combo for videotape conversion of my old tapes. Costco is offering the GoVideo 3840 for 279 bucks.

Good deal? Any recommendations for or cautions against this recorder? Any reason not to buy it?

JohnCN

Auditioning
Just noticed that BB has the Sharp DVRW340U for 299 bucks....Is this a better deal/unit?

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
Got the 3840 the day after Christmas and it is eating my VHS tape. I had recorded one many years ago that it chewed up. I believe it's chewing up others. Will be taking it back and getting another. Other than than, I would warn you against using Imation DVD-Rw's in it. They evidently are not very reliable, as I found out the hard way. It drove me crazy until I realized the disc was the problem.

Having said all that, the 3840 is capable of producing excellent video quality and is really easy to set up and use. I am hoping for much better results when I replace this defective (?) machine and use a better quality disc (like Maxell).

If the problem persists, I will probably order their Pioneer 810-hs. It's $399, with a $100 rebate from Tivo. It has an 80GB hard drive in it and lifetime Tivo basic. You have to order a month of the upgraded Tivo to get the rebate. With the rebate, it's only $20 more than the 3840.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks