What's new

Got the Energy C5s today! (1 Viewer)

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I finally broke down today and took the trip over the border to Windsor. Got a killer deal on the C5s !(I dont know if the store made 10 bucks on this one!)

Anyway, currently Im running the Energy Take 5.2, so these are my new fronts. I just got them hooked up to my Integra, so havent had a chance to sit down and listen yet, did alot of listening at the store and they sounded great through a Pioneer Elite reciever.

Couple of questions, the salesman told me expect 80-100 hours of playing for break in, and to NOT crank them up during this time, just to keep them at mellow listening levels...why? Also, Im not sure if I like the silver feet in front. Would I be crazy to spray paint them flat black to match the speaker?

Any comments and suggestions would be great!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Mike,
Sounds like your salesman wants you to break them in gently. I have the C-1 as my left/right speakers in a small stereo setup in my den, and the speakers don't sound all that different after you played them for a while. Usually, speakers tend to "mellow out" after a break-in period. But I found the metal tweeter on these Energy sounding fine right out of the box. But that's just me. Play with them for a while and gently test their limits in YOUR room.

Glenn Mcc

Grip
Mike how do you like your take 5.2's? Do you run the sw crossover from your receiver? And if so what frenquence do you have the crossover set at (80-100-120)? Also do you run the speakers small or large in your set-up?

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
The Takes are great little speakers! I ran mine with the recievers crossover set to 100 hz, sub-yes, and all speakers-small. I did plug the subwoofer cable into the 'input' jack on the sub, not 'x-over'. This way I can control the volume and the subs LFE right on the sub as well. I have the volume at the 1 oclock position and the LFE all the way clockwise(at 100 hz to blend with the sats)

By the way, on the my reciever, I have an option for fronts - small or large. However if my crossover is set at 80 for my new fronts, what difference will small or large make? Or is the crossover only used if you select 'small'?

Steve Goolsby

Auditioning
Hey Mike,
Are you still using the Take 1.2 as your center speaker? I also have a set of the Take 5.2's and have been thinking of upgrading my front speakers as well, so I was wondering if I also had to upgrade the center too.

How do you like the C5's? I've been looking at the C1's and C3's, but I haven't really looked at the C5's.

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Steve, ya Im still using the Take 1.2 for my CC as of now. Doesnt seem to be a problem but its something Ill upgrade down the road, Im sure. So far the C5s sound really nice. I sat down with some CDs last night and listened for quite awhile.

Even at low volume and not being 'broke in' they have way more presence then the small 2.2s. The tweeter sounds so awesome too. Female voices, drum cymbles , pianos...all are crystal clear. I have the 8.2 sub quietly filling in for the lowest notes...awesome! Also, Ive yet to try these in the 'large' setting on my reciever(see above post). This might sound even better! I cant wait to crank these up!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QuirkyProtection
Recent bookmarks