What's new
World Wide Stereo

Got My New (Old) Receiver Today! Woohoo! (1 Viewer)

Brad Wood

Stunt Coordinator
I've recently considered delving into the vintage hi-fi world recently. I checked on E-bay and saw a Yamaha CR-1020 in reasonably good condition and just for fun I threw a bid in of $95 for it. I had seen other CR-1020's go for as much as $350, so I didn't really think I would be the top bidder. Much to my surprise, I actually won the thing. I didn't enjoy dealing with the seller as he had a pretty condescending attitude and held on to my money for a week before he shipped the item. I did get the unit (poorly shipped as well) and luckily, I'm ecstatic.

Miraculously, it's in great condition. The case is a little worn but I think I saw a guy on the web who will refurb old wood cases for a reasonable fee. I'll probably pop the hood and check all the connections and solder joints, clean the pots, etc, but for now it works great. I hooked it up to my Tannoys, turned it on and it was wonderful. I hate to describe anything as "warm", it's an overused term, so I'll just say that the sound was very '70's, and that's a good thing. After about 2 minutes of listening, I was suddenly 8 years old again, sitting in my parent's family room listening to "Still Crazy After All These Years" on our hulking Magnavox console stereo.

Since my HT budget is depleted from some recent purchases, this may keep me busy for a while. Maybe my next toy will be an old Mac Tube pre or something like that. Heck, it might even be time to pull out the old vinyl!

728x90

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I hear ya! After trying to get by on various HT receivers for stereo, and then trying budget separates (which was a vast improvement)I recently decided to give an old Marantz a try so I got a great deal on a 2270 ($104) and I am in audio heaven. I liked this so well I bought a 2250 and then a 2220....they ALL sound fabulous, and all 3 only cost me a total of

Brad Wood

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the same boat Rob. I have a great speaker set up in my home theater, but I'm still saving the money to get a nice HT processor that also does great stereo. It's going to be a while before I can justify the $4-6K of estimated expense for that. So in the meantime, my $100 mid seventies yamaha will be just fine for a new two channel system. Even better, I can listen downstairs by the fireplace with a glass of wine instead of having to lock myself up in my HT bunker.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

I guess you'll be giving him some positive feedback - Not! :frowning:

Best of luck enjoying your vintage receiver. That is some good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks