What's new

google home and mini problems (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Up until about a week ago, i found the google home and mini very useful and reliable. But lately they have been very unreliable. Often commands must be repeated several times and a speaker in another room will answer when a command is given in a different room. I have unplugged/reset several of the speakers, with no change. Any idea what is happening....and better yet how to fix it. I have done a google search but really found nothing helpful. Thanks.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We have put a hub or mini in every room, and like you, we find that after being ultra reliable, they are driving us nuts! Suddenly the system would only turn on half the smart bulbs. After replacing the cable modem this problem was solved. Now the hubs randomly default to the "Set Up" screen and must be unplugged to reset. This can happen at 3:00 am and cause us to sleep in when alarms don't go off.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It must be an issue at Google headquarters because I'm having similar issues. They recently pushed out an update which may be a factor. I have one Max and 4 Nest displays. Strangely, everything seemed fine until I added the Max about a month ago. It is located in the kitchen, fairly close to the Nest display in the living room and they do not play well together.

I haven't found time to really dig into this yet but one thing you can do is adjust the sensitivity level, which basically controls how loud the "Hey Google" command must be before it is recognized. This can be adjusted on a per-device basis and is found under Assistant Settings in the app. If you have multiple users in your household you should also consider setting up voice match which can be found in the same area.

technohobby

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
I've got 3 Google minis (18 connected devices), all operating fine. Glitch free. However, life is not always so great. I've uncovered some predictable problems and solutions. After fruitlessly trying to chase down each separate end device, re-installing, re-booting, it turns out there is one issue that always is at the core of my problems.

When a W-Fi extender or Wi-Fi node goes down, even momentarily, it will often fail to recover its links to my Google minis (and their downstream links to devices) on its own. It may appear to be running fine, but those links were not re-established reliably. [The continuing operation of some devices is mere distraction, and only adds confusion.] A full reboot of that W-Fi node is a must. This corrects my problem, 100% of the time. [In my situation, the usual culprit is an Apple Time Capsule which I use for backup and as a node. I should just replace it, but . . . ]

I never even have to re-establish mini-to device connections. [If an individual device --light?, etc -- fails to respond individually, unplugging/unscrewing, and replugging solves it.]

I can only share my situation, and yours may be different.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks