What's new

Goodbye 3802, Hello Elite (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I have to agree with John on that one. 20-years ago Pioneer produced some very fine stuff. I would say "strong" in that day, and as time went forward Pioneer went backwards in this area. Spending more time in the lower end stuff and "all-round" quailty suffered from this
It appears that they now are on the ~{up-swing with the *Higher Elite Line* Receivers}~, getting stronger each year.
Their processing seems to be their strond hold now, with better amp sections following quickly behind.
This coming from a "NON Pioneer Fan" as of the last 10+ years. I have to admit their now getting it going in the right direction now for sure......
Enjoy the new toy!!!
Regards
Geoff
Edt:
Seems that Sansui, Pioneer, Rotel, Marantz, and even top end Kenwoods ruled the Bad Boy Receiver world back then. Some of these were serious monsters weighing in at near and over 100lbs + ... ;)

Ron_N

Grip
John Garcia said: You're right on target with that one! Back then Pioneer was THE BOMB! They really had it going on between 1989-1992 with products like the LD-S2 Dedicated Laserdisc Player, CLD-97 Combi Laserdisc Player, CT-93 Cassette Deck, F-93 Tuner, PD-65 CD Player, and the TZ-9 Loudspeakers.

Now that Pioneer is back on track with their receivers they really need to work on their speakers. Maybe they can bring back the TZ-9s and incorporate the IRIS tweeter/midrange into them.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Listen guys 20 years ago, I was a college student at Ohio State. I traded in my Marantz receiver in 1981 maybe 82 for a 125 w/channel honker from pioneer. I have Pioneer speakers with 15 inch woofers and this receiver still blows them off the wall.

Once in a while, every 10 years or so, I have a resistor blow. But its is fixed and I go on. This is still one damn fine musical stereo recever!

Incidently it probably weighs 75 pounds.

But my new 45 is great too!!!

Mike

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Devin:

After you reset the receiver did you go thru the auto cal before you did anything? I mean was this your first action?

I'm thinking I'll try the reset - go thru auto cal and then enable the bass limiter and then check out if the stereo is working with the sub.

What do you think about this approach?

Also - I have an e-amil into Pioneer requesting help on the problem.

My Harman Kardon did the same thing.

Mike

DevinT

Grip
Mike,
I do think your approach is the best thing to do. I suspect the auto cal is the reason for the sub not being used in stereo. That is when I noticed the sub was not functioning. Maybe the auto cal thinks it is best not to use the sub in my particular stereo setup. The JBL's do put out great bass for no sub being used. I am confident that all we need is a tiny change in settings after using mcacc. If you contact pioneer let me know what they say. I bypassed the auto cal last time I set everything up. Good Luck!:)

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Devin:

I'll try it my way and write down the auto cal settings,if the sub is still not working in stereo. I'll then set up the receiver manually (with the auto cal settings) and see if the sub works.

I'll let you know. Keep in touch. Been listening to anything you really think the Pioneer shows off?

Thanks Again...

Mike

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
One thing I was told is that Pioneer and Pioneer Elite are like two totally different companies. They are both owned by the same parent, but that they have totally independent R&D and design teams. That may not be true anymore, but it was for a while.

Bryan

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Bryan I believe that still is true I have also heard that. Devin with the MCACC it normally sets your speakers to large unless you have real small ones for ex. I have a full Klipsch Reference setup RF-5, RC-7, and 2 RS-7's these have 8in woofers and all have somewhat decent bass response I personally wouldn't label them as large but my rear surrounds are JBl n24's and these are 7'in tall and have about a 3 in woofer and they are always labeled as small but everything else is labeled as large. So if everything is large when you play a stereo source the 45tx will send a full range signal to your speakers and no signal will go to your sub. That could be all it is, have you checked that yet.

Daniel Smith

DevinT

Grip
Daniel,
I think you are correct with this. I noticed the mcacc set all my speakers to large in the setup. I bet once I manually set them to small everything will be fine. Thanks for the input.
Mike,
I brought home BladeII last night and it sounded amazing. It is a rare DTS es disc with heavy use of all channels. Not the best flick, but worth the purchase just for the soundtrack. Of course I love LOTR and the Moria sequence. I am excited for the extended version, which will include DTS es unlike the standard version. I highly reccommend the opening scene from Gladiator and as I said before, Pearl Harbor and the Japanese attack.

Ron_N

Grip
Hey Mike!

With Pioneer Elite receivers, when the fronts are set to large the subwoofer is automatically turned off. On my 39tx I have a subwoofer setting called "Plus". This setting turns on the subwoofer to add more bass to large speakers. Check your manual and look for the "Plus" setting for subwoofers.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Hi All:

Sounds like Ron may have hit my problem. My fronts were set to large and the other speakers were set to small by the mcacc. Last night I was reading the manual and just getting ready to do what I had told Devin above and found some information on the plus setting.

It does have the plus setting - so when I get a chance today I'll try your advice before I reset the receiver.

Thanks for the info everyone......Ron - how have you liked your 39?

Mike

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Ron:

Thanks! You were right - the plus setting fixed the problem..

Thanks again.

Mike

Ron_N

Grip
Glad I could help ya Mike!

As for my 39TX, I love it to death, but it's gotta go. The 49TXi is screaming my name and demanding that I bring it home! :)

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Go for it Ron, it went from the 37tx to the 49tx and I absolutely love, as if you couldn't tell (see below, ha ha).

Daniel Smith

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Today I traded my beloved 3802 in at Ultimate Electronics for a brand new Pioneer vsx-45tx Elite. Once again Ultimate was great and sold it to me for $829.
Devin, do you mind me asking where the Ultimate Electronics store was that you purchased it at? the one here in Oklahoma City wont sell it to me for less than $1100. i was gonna email you and ask for a copy of your receipt for them to match, but your email address isnt shown here :frowning:

DevinT

Grip
Thomas,
I purchased mine in Salt Lake city. My email is [email protected]. i don't know how i would email you a copy of the receipt though. I don't have a scanner or digi cam. Try seeing different salesmen and see what they can do. I go to the same guy every time and he knows I will come back to him whenever I need something. Next purchase: Sony 34" wide screen HDTV!

BobRoulier

Second Unit
I have a 49tx and after calibration all my speakers were set to large, I left them at large and set it to plus for my svs sub and upped the decibels on the sw channel to what sounded good to me;)
Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks