Good online source for a new cpu?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Varto, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Im looking to buy a new computer...
    something with these specs:
    1.4 Ghz AMD or P4
    256 MB Ram
    20GB HD
    CD RW
    16x DVD
    Everything else can be minimal (video card, speakers, I don't want a monitor)... basically, I want a barebones system with the above "necessities". Ill do the other stuff myself.
    Can anyone recommend a reliable website that can provide this type of "barebones" system? Thanks in advance!

2. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

I get most of my parts from either NewEgg or Mwave . Both places have good prices and good service (shipping is decent for the most part). I know for sure that Mwave has barebones systems, and I'd guess Newegg does too
    ------------------
    My DVD collection

3. Roy C.

Roy C. Second Unit

I've also used Mwave with great success. I would try ubid.com as they are an auction site and you might be able to get good pricing, if cost is an issue. Further, try pricewatch.com to find out what people are asking for components.
    Good luck,
    Roy C.
    ------------------

4. James St

James St Supporting Actor

I second Newegg. I just purchased an Asus A7M266 mobo from them. They have some of the best prices I've seen. If you're looking for a place that builds barebone systems for you then try cyberpowerpc.com. You can custom configure a pc however you want. I got a barebones system from there back in December.

5. brian a

brian a Second Unit

Try www.pricewatch.com
    If newegg.com is close to the best price I usually go with them since, as others have said, they have never let me down. But I have never had a problem with any of the vendors on pricewatch.
    brianca

6. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

i will add another vote for both www.newegg.com and www.mwave.com both are great places and will service you well. BTW GET THE FOLLOWING:
    AMD Athlon 1.4Ghz
    Epox 8KHA KT266 DDR Board
    256MB PC2100 DDRRAM
    Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM
    Plextor 16x/10x with BurnProof technology
    All of this for under $700! And thats one smoking PC.

7. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Kelley B, where can I get that system? I checked both sites you mentioned, but I got a feeling I could look forever and not find that same system - what a deal!!