What's new

Good Metal with Clean Vocals? (1 Viewer)

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
troy evans said:
I'll third Airbourne and throw in: Avantasia, Axel Rudi Pell, Iron Savior and Jorn Lande. Alot of really good bands fall under the radar with the steady diet of crap that gets played. For every Airbourne that gets through, "the shit that is current radio", there are 20-30 bands that you may like just as much, but, will never hear. Thankfully there's the internet.
Troy,
Thanks for recommending Avantasia. I hadn't listened to them before. I just received "The Scarecrow" and, WOW!. Awesome. I was surprised to hear Alice Cooper doing vocal on "The Toy Master".

troy evans

Screenwriter
David Willow said:
Troy,
Thanks for recommending Avantasia. I hadn't listened to them before. I just received "The Scarecrow" and, WOW!. Awesome. I was surprised to hear Alice Cooper doing vocal on "The Toy Master".
Yeah! Man
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
This has been my favorite cd of 2008. I went back and got the 2 previous cds as well. Tobias is the man and the guest list of the "Scarecrow" reads almost like a who's who in rock/metal. One thing that struck me after my first listen was the diversity of music. Whether you like hard rock or heavy metal, and all in between, there's something on this cd for everyone.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I'm digging Iron Savior's sound (the internet is truly a godsend for sampling music). They sound like they decided to base their entire career on Iron Man and Painkiller, which is fine with me
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I'm finding that a lot of these power metal bands, despite some interesting sounds, are just a bit too flowery for me, and while I appreciate singing with range some of the vocalists sound more like eunuchs. Hansi in Blind Guardian hits a solid middle ground in that he can sing but his voice has a bit of an edge to it, and the guy in Iron Savior is similar.
I've also been impressed by Blaze Bayley's solo work. From what I've heard of his Iron Maiden work he didn't seem to fit but on his own he can obviously tailor the music to better suit his voice.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Just yesterday I discovered a Swedish metal band called Communic. Very heavy and moderately proggy with vocals that aren't too growly or screamy. I dig 'em. Track samples available on Amazon.

Hogie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hogarth
Drem Evil works into that mould also. Cool stuff. Aaron was right though, there's probably 7000 power metal bands out there. Lots of likeable stuff, but once you start digging into it, you'll find that 6900 of them sound the same.

If you like the prog stuff, try Pagan's Mind and Jag Panzer.

Carlsonkid

Auditioning
Real Name
Ian Carlson
I highly recommend Protest the hero. There is also an underground band from Ottawa Canada called Today I caught the Plague. In addition check out bans such as Mastodon, Symphony X, Between the Buried and Me, Last Chance To Reason, Nevermore, TesseracT, Opeth, and Seventh Wonder.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
What's up everybody.
For the past few years I've been designing and constructing my home theater. I've also been busy recording an album.
I figured I would try throwing this out to you guys and see what you thought. Feel free to post your thoughts, both good and bad. :) Really, I'm just curious if what we do is relevant to this thread. If not, then sorry for cluttering things up.
Anyway, here's the site.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Jeez, Brian. First Romney goes after Big Bird, and now here you are resurrecting the anti-Cookie Monster thread! :)
Anyway, good stuff. I really dig the studio video.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Carlsonkid said:
I highly recommend Protest the hero. There is also an underground band from Ottawa Canada called Today I caught the Plague. In addition check out bans such as Mastodon, Symphony X, Between the Buried and Me, Last Chance To Reason, Nevermore, TesseracT, Opeth, and Seventh Wonder.
Listening to Today I Caught the Plague clips. I approve. Amazon only sells MP3s but the band appears to offer CDs on their own website.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Aaron Silverman said:
Jeez, Brian. First Romney goes after Big Bird, and now here you are resurrecting the anti-Cookie Monster thread! :)
Anyway, good stuff. I really dig the studio video.
Haha, nice reference. As soon as we get the budget, we've been planning on doing a 5.1 mix.

Howard Evans

Auditioning
Real Name
howard evans
I was just searching for this same type of music. Since this thread was recently revived I thought I would sign up and drop a couple suggestions and say thanks for the suggestions mentioned; they've led me to a couple songs I like already.
My suggestion would be: Five Finger Death Punch
On another site I searched today I found a mention of the group Nocturnal Rites and have tried a couple of their songs and enjoyed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks