What's new

Good enuff for HTPC? (1 Viewer)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
AMD Athlon 700mhz Thunderbird, (2) 128meg Infineon PC133 RAM, Adaptec 29160uw dual channel SCSI controller, (1) 18gig Seagate Barracuda and (1) 9gig Seagate Barracuda hard drives, Ricoh 8x4x32 CDR-RW burner, Toshiba 8x DVD-Rom, Realtek 10/100 NIC, ATI Radeon 64meg DDR video card, Creative Soundblaster Live 128 audio card
Found this somewhere being sold at a good price...
------------------
Eric Samonte
Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
That system will work just fine as an HTPC. I know some people have had problem with the SB Live card, but I know just as many who use it with no problems.
Good Luck!
Scott Shanks
Louisville, KY
------------------

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
OK..u guys r scaring me. SB Live not good enuff then? Does it have at least the SPDIF output? Currently, I have the now defunct Aureal SQ2500 which has a coax digital out.
Is that even better ? If not..which one is better to have?
MB with a VIA chipset? The guy who's selling this gear happens to be a computer geek and he says its been running fine and dandy. He just needs money for his car right now.
------------------
Eric Samonte
Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Don't worry about the SBLive! card as I have it running in a motherboard with the 686B Southbridge chip(the actual problem :) ). All you need to do is install the latest VIA 4in1s from http://www.viatech.com
Thats a sweet machine for a HTPC, especially with that ATi Radeon 64MB card, has such great 2D output, the quality is amazing. Their iDCT functions in the chip are really good too.
With RAM so cheap right now I would bump that up to atleast 256, but with the pricing currently you should buy a couple 256MB sticks, then you would be good to go when Windows XP comes out.

Abdul Jalib

Stunt Coordinator
Most SB Live! cards do not output SPDIF with the correct specs. SB Live! cards have been reported to destroy the SPDIF inputs on Denon receivers. You can buy a Hootech doohickey to bring the SB Live! card's output up to spec.
Do some research at Link Removed to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

Abdul Jalib

Stunt Coordinator
You got a "just fine" and "pretty awesome"... what more do you want? Price?
$42 AMD Athlon 700mhz Thunderbird
$100 ? Motherboard
$40 (2) 128meg Infineon PC133 RAM
$200 Adaptec 29160uw dual channel SCSI controller
$120 (1) 18gig Seagate Barracuda and
$110 (1) 9gig Seagate Barracuda hard drives
$150? Ricoh 8x4x32 CDR-RW burner
$100 Toshiba 8x DVD-Rom
$15 Realtek 10/100 NIC
$160 ATI Radeon 64meg DDR video card
$worthless :) Creative Soundblaster Live 128 audio card
$600 21" Sony monitor
$150ish Windows SE?
$60? case + P.S.
----
$1847
You're getting a used system, I assume. If it's new, I'll take three. :) Does it come with an O.S. including the necessary CD? The price seems fairly reasonable, but I'm not sure what kind of a deal you could get from Dell right now.
------------------
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Thanks for the reply Abdul. I will have a choice of OS and from what I read ME seems most HTPC friendly..correct?
He'll also provide some other stuff like Photoshop 6
(yipee~!), Office 2K and also the original CDs.
I guess I'll go and get it then.

Abdul Jalib

Stunt Coordinator
ME is recommended by some who know their HTPC stuff. I personally feel more comfortable with Windows 98SE, since I'm under the impression that more software works under 98SE, and I know Windows 98SE does the trick, since that's what I have. Don't go with 2000 without researching it carefully, as some things don't work well with it. I'll be skipping straight to XP, once it's released and the first wave of HTPCers bloodies themselves on it.
------------------
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks