What's new

3D Blu-ray Review Godzilla (2014): THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I didn't see it in theaters, but the Blu-ray is VERY dark, so much so that it's actually difficult to ascertain what is going on in some sequences. If that's what it looked like in theaters I think we would have heard about it. I would be very surprised if a major studio released a film that dark in theaters.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
haineshisway said:
I didn't see it in theaters, but the Blu-ray is VERY dark, so much so that it's actually difficult to ascertain what is going on in some sequences. If that's what it looked like in theaters I think we would have heard about it. I would be very surprised if a major studio released a film that dark in theaters.
The darkness of the WB BDs is what's making me wait for the Toho BD from Japan.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I don't think the average theater would be able to get blacks as deep as the Blu-ray. I saw it in an average theater, and while it was very murky, I could always tell what was going on, but I found myslef straining for details about the monsters and figuring the filmmakers wanted it that way.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
haineshisway said:
the only reason I can remember if the screen was too dark in the theatre, if they are not able to change the brightness level from 3d to 2d screenings. I remember having that issues at times. it would be more dark then its suppose to be. I remember the amazing spider-man 1 and Now you see me being much darker then it should be in the theatre. it was fine on my panasonic 3d set at home.

Jacob

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
TheBat said:
the only reason I can remember if the screen was too dark in the theatre, if they are not able to change the brightness level from 3d to 2d screenings. I remember having that issues at times. it would be more dark then its suppose to be. I remember the amazing spider-man 1 and Now you see me being much darker then it should be in the theatre. it was fine on my panasonic 3d set at home.

Jacob
They can change it but too often they just leave the 3D lens on, link below explaining this, now the link below mentions Sony cinema projectors but i have read elsewhere that the same thing happens with other brands of projectors.

http://www.geek.com/news/sony-digital-cinema-claims-3d-projection-lens-fine-for-2d-movies-1384151/

Earlier this week we reported on the issue of trying to sit through a 2D film that was way too dark due to a 3D lens being left on a Sony digital projector. Ty Burr of the Boston Globe has investigated and tracked the problem down to a 3D lens that was too complicated to remove and risked the projector shutting down. He found movie theaters were deciding to leave the 3D lens on those projectors which is what is causing all these dark 2D movies.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
FoxyMulder said:
They can change it but too often they just leave the 3D lens on, link below explaining this, now the link below mentions Sony cinema projectors but i have read elsewhere that the same thing happens with other brands of projectors.

http://www.geek.com/news/sony-digital-cinema-claims-3d-projection-lens-fine-for-2d-movies-1384151/

Earlier this week we reported on the issue of trying to sit through a 2D film that was way too dark due to a 3D lens being left on a Sony digital projector. Ty Burr of the Boston Globe has investigated and tracked the problem down to a 3D lens that was too complicated to remove and risked the projector shutting down. He found movie theaters were deciding to leave the 3D lens on those projectors which is what is causing all these dark 2D movies.
that is the reason.
my local theatre is a regal. I go elsewhere for movies now.
Jacob

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If the theaters aren't willing to swap out lenses, they really should designate a screen either 2D or 3D and only show the designated format on that screen.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Wayne_j said:
If the theaters aren't willing to swap out lenses, they really should designate a screen either 2D or 3D and only show the designated format on that screen.
No crap Sherlock.

Jacob

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What i cannot understand is why Gravity got a 5.1 sound mix release while Godzilla get's 7.1, surely both deserve 7.1.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
What i cannot understand is why Gravity got a 5.1 sound mix release while Godzilla get's 7.1, surely both deserve 7.1.
Maybe Warners listened to consumers' complaints about the lack of a 7.1 mix on Gravity and made sure one was included for Godzilla? Obviously, the best solution is re-release Gravity with a 7.1 track and offer a replacement disc for people who already bought it but hopefully this shows that they've made a change that will carry on.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
TravisR said:
Maybe Warners listened to consumers' complaints about the lack of a 7.1 mix on Gravity and made sure one was included for Godzilla? Obviously, the best solution is re-release Gravity with a 7.1 track and offer a replacement disc for people who already bought it but hopefully this shows that they've made a change that will carry on.
The best solution is to re-release gravity with an Atmos soundtrack which down converts to Dolby True HD 7.1 for non Atmos people.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I hated every single second of this film, including the 3D. Paid good money to see it in a theater, with very high hopes. You couldn't give me the Blu-ray for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks