What's new

Getting ready for my first RPTV - some questions (1 Viewer)

Maneesh

Stunt Coordinator
I've been considering upgrading from my puny little 27" for some time. I got a good deal on a used Toshiba 51H93 locally and I'm pretty excited about it :D

I wasn't able to find a lot of reviews for this tv, but the feature set looks great (DVI, Firewire, builtin tuner etc).

I have a few questions -

- Adjustments: turn down contrast, turn off VSM, select normal color temp, and use Avia to adjust other settings. Anything else?

- Calibration: once I'm confortable with my tv, I'll try and find a service menu setting and tweak it - carefully! I can't afford ISF calibration and I'm pretty sure I can live without it :) Any links for this will be helpful, e.g. Toshiba tweak sites.

- This may be a simple question - if I use a set top box (Comcast hd box) then am I correct in assuming I can't use the tv's builtin tuners. And if so that means the PIP feature, program guide, channel memory etc in the tv is useless? That would suck.

- I just got the Philips DVP-642 for progressive scan playback (and because it plays mpeg4/divx). How is its output quality?

- Does this tv support 720p? I read somewhere it can upconvert to 1080i but not sure.

- I have a HT to go with this. Where do people place the center channel on tv's with narrow tops like this one. On the floor? The Tosh will let me use its speakers as a center channel but I'd rather not since my speakers are all matched.

- I have lots of stuff to hook up - replaytv, xbox, dvd, vcr, not to mention routing through a receiver, so I'm sure I'll have questions on that :) I know not to waste $$ on monster cable and usually buy Ratshack, but should I spend more on component cables?

Any other advice on the care and feeding of this beast gladly accepted. Thanks.

Craig

Second Unit
In addition to turning down contrast, turn down the Sharpness to around 25%. It doesn't support 720P. I was able to put a fairly large center channel speaker on top of my Toshiba 56". I'd recommend trying to use a smaller center channel speaker if possbible, the TV audio doesn't really compare to a decent speaker.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
If you look at some retailers they may carry a set top center channel mount for RPTV's. I know soundtrack does.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I'd be very cautious about buying a used CRT rear projection TV. It could already have burn in before you even get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks