What's new

Getting Bose system removed by dealer (1 Viewer)

Soumitro Tagore

Auditioning
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question. I am in the market for a new vehicle and most of the dealers for this particular model(its a Mercedes ML 350) have showroom models with Bose 6 CD changers installed (this is supposed to be an option, but the dealers get it in most of the models because apparently everyone wants the "high-quality Bose audio systems").

Is it possible for the dealers to remove (mechanically, I mean - whether they will or not that's another matter, I guess) the Bose systems from the car? That would save me about 1200 bucks and allow me to buy a system that can actually playback music decently.

Thanks for any help with this.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
If it were me, I'd look at doing something with the speakers, and add a proper sub. Iwouldn't change the headunit and CD changer.

I don't think they'll give you an option, but you can get them to look for a model without it.

Brent

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Yea if they come from the factory that way I don't think they'll do that request. Good luck with it though, hopefully if enough people will ask they'll do away with BOSE altogether.

Soumitro Tagore

Auditioning
Yeah, its a bummer. I certainly don't want to pay $1200 for a Bose system when I can get something after market of higher quality for much less. Looks like I might have to go for the stripped-down version and add on things I really want. Problem is those come with "leatherette" (a fancy word for vinyl) seats :-(

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I have it in my 2003 Nissan Pathfinder...and it's okay. I'm 100% positive something better can be found though, with not too much of a cost to me.

The 6 CD changer (head unit) in my PF is actually made by Clarion, so this may be the case with your potential new car as well.

I may just try and replace the speakers later this fall and see if that improves the sound.

It sounds okay..and is integrated into the vehicle nicely...but I just don't think it sounds as good as it should or as good as I want it to sound.

My wife has a Mach 460 system (from Ford) in her 2001 Mustang and it blows my Pathy away.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
I've got a Bose system in my '03 Yukon (I didn't shell out for the in-dash changer, though), and frankly, I'm quite pleased with the way it sounds. The placement of the speakers is excellent, and the sound can go plenty loud without getting harsh. Granted, it just doesn't have the low-end that the $3k aftermarket system in my old '94 Pathfinder had, but it still sounds awfully good to me for a factory installed stereo.

My biggest gripe would be the ability to upgrade different parts of the system. I've got Onstar, and that works through the existing stereo system. I have managed to locate a few aftermarket adapters that will still allow Onstar use through a new head unit, but the rear audio controls in the back (a blessing with teenagers) won't work anymore. So it seems I can't do anything about the actual head unit without losing some of the cool integrated features of the factory deck (if anybody here knows of any solutions to that dilemma, please let me know). It looks like just about the only thing I can do is change out the actual speakers, but the ones running right now actually sound pretty good. Right now I'm looking into potentially piggy-backing a new amp with a bigger sub off of the built-in sub in the back, but I don't know if that will work either.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Just got rid of the bose in my 96 Maxima and replaced with an Alpine HU, Rockford amp, and Focal Components. Now I hear highs. When I got the tweeter out I was scoffing at how small it was for such an expensive option. I admit it's much better than a stock premium system but the system costs way too much.

KurtW

Stunt Coordinator
Bose systems in most cars are terrible, and they're a bear to try to work around. Most of the time, each individual speaker has it's own amplifier, and the speakers are 0.5 ohms (as opposed to the standard of 4 ohms). Meaning that if a speaker ever blows, and amp ever fries, or you want a new head unit, you have to either replace the entire system (recommended), or use one of several crappy aftermarket adaptors to try to make it work. It also means you can't install aftermarket speakers if you're trying to improve the sound in your vehicle.

So if you have the opportunity to save $1200 by forgoing the Bose (or any other stereo system) do it. Put that $1200 to better use on an aftermarket system that will perform like you want it.

Same thing with window tint and security systems. Don't ever get them from a dealer. There's always a cheaper and better aftermarket solution. None of which will void any factory warranties.

CarlP

Agent
I own a MB CL500, and was told by various installers that changing out my stereo/nav system would run between $5-12K(!) Yes, the Bose systems have individual amps for their speakers and its all connected via fiber optics. My gripe is the sound is compressed and there are MAJOR d/a artifacts with this "state of the art" system. I miss the audiophile system in my Volvos!!!

Soumitro Tagore

Auditioning
Well, I ended up having to buy the vehicle with the factory-installed Bose (couldn't find a single one without it). I did get a pretty good deal on the car (this time of the year is always the best time to get a new set of wheels), so the system ended up costing me next to nothing.

And yeah, it sounds pretty bad. Anyway, the primary user of the new SUV will be my wife, so I am just gonna live with it.

Chris Bates

Stunt Coordinator
This is going to sound odd, especially on this forum, but here goes. Yes Bose is way over rated for the home theater market, and yes nearly everybody here hates Bose....Including myself, but...........You actually have to do allot to a car to beat the factory Bose system. Personally, I would go ahead and get the factory Bose system for a couple reasons. First and foremost, it helps the resale value of the car. Second, these days its a heck of alot easier to add to or completely change a bose system than it ever was before. I owned a car audio shop for several years, and it used to be nearly impossible to do something as simple as change the head unit without either completely gutting the system, or spending $400 on an interface. Now you can purchase head unit interface for about $35. Now the speakers are a different story. The last time I checked, If you want to swap the speakers without buying an interface you have to change the head unit, as well as fabricate all new mounding plates (if you intend on putting the originals back in for resale). Not to mention that you have to run all new wires since the factory wires are only intended for preamp signals, but if you were going for a higher quality sound system wou would want to do this anyway. Ultimately its up to you. Personally, I would get the Bose system, then enjoy the time I spent ripping it out. Not to mention you could turn around and sel it on eBay for a pretty penny, that is if you didnt want to re-install it when you sell the car........OK Im done rambling now.

Jonty Rees

Stunt Coordinator
Take the old system out, leave the wiring in, run new wires next to the old, install all new components, s/b able to mount speakers ok, if not just use some mdf to mount to. When you sell the car, put the old stuff back in. Or just leave it alone if your missus is driving!

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
The $700 Upgrade Bose Premium Sound System in my 350z lasted 3 weeks. I pulled that piece of crap right out of my car, and replaced it with a new Sony XPLOD Head Unit, New Speakers, New Sub in the trunk, and XM Delphi....

I will never again buy Bose Car Audio!!!!! Worst sounding system I have ever had in my cars....

kevitra

Second Unit
In my old 99 Grand Prix I removed the headunit/speakers, installed a new headunit and speakers and ran new speaker wire. When I just sold the car last month all I had to do was replace the factory head unit, speakers and pull out the wire I had used. It was fairly easy to do.
Local shops wanted at least $300-400 to do the same job.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
My 96' Audi A4 came with the Bose system. It didn't sound that bad, but it was the cassette HU and I wanted to be able to play cd's. So I went out and got a new HU (Alpine 9811) at Soundtrack and they were to install it for free. Well, the guy calls me up 5 hrs later and says there is a problem. I had the separately amped speakers as mentioned above by KurtW and they wanted $40 to finish the install. It sounded like a nightmare problem so I told em to go ahead. Well, after getting the car back and setting up the HU, I actually like the sound of the original HU. I should've just kept it in there and gotten a 6-disc changer. That or get all new speakers. What have I gotten myself into? :frowning:

Shawn C

Screenwriter
My new Avlanche has the Bose system in it with the "subwoofer" under the center console. You know what, it really doesn't sound too bad! It's certainly alot better than the 'regular' unit they install in the GM trucks.

Sure, you can do alot better with aftermarket stuff, but I don't think the Bose system sounds "bad" at all. I also like the fact that it's integrated with the rear seat audio controls and the rear seat DVD. I can do all that with aftermarket stuff, but at what cost?

Not ALL Bose systems have the seperate amplifiers for each speaker. Mine doesn't. It just has one amplifier for the speakers and probably one for the subwofer.

VinhT

Second Unit
One thing to keep in mind if you just plan on replacing the speakers of a Bose car audio system. Don't the head units used by Bose contain specific EQ for the speakers used? If so, then merely replacing the speakers may actually result in degraded sound quality. Furthermore, keeping the Bose around will help your vehicle resale value tremendously. Remember, most people think of Bose as the ultimate in sound technology, so they will take Bose over a fancy aftermarket system anyday.

VinhT

Second Unit
And one more thing, how come you guys don't care about sound quality for your wives, eh? Not cool... :D

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Don't the head units used by Bose contain specific EQ for the speakers used?
Yeah, I believe so. In my old Avlanche, you had EQ setting for "Rock", "Pop", "Country", whatever. But with the Bose systems all you get is "Custom" or "Talk". "Custom" really just means BASS/TREBLE settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks