What's new

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (2 Viewers)

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
The London Critics' Circle presented their awards over the weekend.

GFgubdHWIAEPFzp.jpg GFg4PMjWYAAFpzJ.jpg GFgsxleXMAksMMN.jpg

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
I watched SPOILER ALERT last night. Unlike many other people, I never thought that it was a tearjerker. It was a good film with great performances but there have been far too many films on the same subject in the past 30 years.Many of those were real tearjerkers including some TV movies on the same subject. HOLDING THE MAN was an unforgettable stage show that really bought the tears flowing.It was a pity that the film never had the same effect.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Almodovar's latest short film (32 minutes), Strange Way of Life, came out today--DVD only with digital code. Available for $2.99 at iTunes in a 4K UHD stream.
Ethan Hawke and Pedro Pascal play two men who enjoyed 60 days of connubial bliss 25 years ago. They reunite for one night, and then...
Pascal displays his cheeks lovingly spread on the morning-after bed.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
To add on to what Mark wrote about new or upcoming queer treats, I'm absolutely obsessed with Emerald (A Promising Young Woman) Fennell's new film, Saltburn. It will NOT be to everyone's taste, in fact it may me one of the most depraved things I've seen in recent memory. It's already proving pretty divisive, but I find it to be a giddy, twisty delight with great performances from Barry Keoghan, Rosamund Pike, (the beautiful) Jacob Elordi, Richard Grant, and a brilliantly funny extended cameo from Carey Mulligan. I saw it in theater and can't wait to see it again when it drops on Amazon Prime on December 20th (or 22nd?) I find Fennell one of the most exciting filmmakers working today and Keoghan and Pike have already scored Golden Globe nominations. If you have any interest in it, I'd recommend not reading anything about it before you go in. It's best to go in blind and fasten your seatbelts!

Hey Will,
I finally got around to watching Saltburn, really having no idea what to expect, because SO MANY people really hated it. I did enjoy it. It certainly doesn't qualify as a movie that can be included in a "Gay Friendly" thread! :D I loved the sumptuous, colorful (and Academy Ratio) photography. And I agree with you about the acting and giddiness. It has elements of Brideshead Revisited and Maurice (the director admits to being influenced by both). I'm also surprised that no one has mentioned that
this is also a take on Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder (or Kind Hearts and Coronets) but then I realized of course making that comparison gives away the movie's secrets.

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Many people compare "Saltburn" to "The Talented Mr. Riply". Actually it's much closer to 'Something for Everyone" with Michael York and Angela Lansbury.

But all we got in that one was Michael York in his underpants. (Not that I'm complaining, mind you, they were some mighty nice underpants!)

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I finally got around to two films I had been dying to see, both now on Hulu. Theater Camp was funny and fun, and it made me envious that I wasn't offered such a place in my youth instead of the sports camps my parents insisted I attend as a pre-teen and young teen.

All of Us Strangers, as expected, wiped me out. Adam's two heart-to-hearts with his dad just devastated me (kudos to both Scott and Bell for their perceptive performances), and that ending really took me by surprise (it shouldn't have but it did). A gorgeous film I'll be thinking about now for weeks.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
All of Us Strangers, as expected, wiped me out. Adam's two heart-to-hearts with his dad just devastated me (kudos to both Scott and Bell for their perceptive performances), and that ending really took me by surprise (it shouldn't have but it did). A gorgeous film I'll be thinking about now for weeks.

I am still positively flummoxed by this one. I usually detest movies like this (if you know, you know, is all I can say) and, by all accounts, this should not have remotely worked as well as it did. Yet there I was (and there I remain) devastated and bawling like a baby over it. I don't get it (even a little bit) but I completely surrender to it.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I watched All of Us Strangers last night, and was hugely disappointed. Perhaps all the hype made my expectations too high. There were no surprises for me because I fully expected several possible scenarios and knew at least one of them would be the answer. Well it’s too bad, because I am a big fan of Haigh’s Weekend and Looking.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Watched and enjoyed STRANGERS last night. Performances were fine...real good and fantasy elements well handled......BUT i don't like to think; so i wish the ending were a bit more definitive.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I haven't watched All of Us strangers, because one critic here in Greece who I mostly trust, gave the film half a star out of 5, and said it's one of the 10 worst films of the year.
Maybe I'll give it a play when it hits blu-ray. I don't know.
I loved Weekend.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
I haven't watched All of Us strangers, because one critic here in Greece who I mostly trust, gave the film half a star out of 5, and said it's one of the 10 worst films of the year.
I loved Weekend.
Sorry but that critic must have been having a very bad day. You really should see this film.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I loved Weekend.
Watch it if only for the superb acting from all parties concerned.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed Summer of 85 (streaming on Tubi and Hoopla). When Alex has a boating accident, a stranger David, comes to the rescue. The two French teenagers become friends quickly despite having different outlooks on life. The movie follows their progression from friends to lovers, but it’s not all clear sailing. Alex is a budding writer with a death obsession. David is obsessed with taking chances and going after the speed thrill of life.
i won’t give away any more of the story but the two leads are excellent. They’re completely believable as young passionate adults who both fall hard for the other. Both are charming and magnetic, and the way they look at each other is captivating. There are a few other movies available by them here so I’m definitely going to check them out. Definitely recommended.

⭐⭐⭐⭐️ 4/5

IMG_4384.jpeg

DigniT@DigniT!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
There are a few other movies available by them here so I’m definitely going to check them out. Definitely recommended.

I really enjoyed Summer of 85' as well. Benjamin "David" Voison can also be seen playing sweet, sympathetic rent boy Jean (a very revealing performance) in Rupert Everett's The Happy Prince, his 'labor of love' that picks up where Wilde leaves off. A glimpse of Oscar Wilde's life in France after getting out of prison, it's an absolutely marvelous movie with Everett (who, I must admit, I'm not really a personal fan of) giving a bravura performance for the ages. Voison is very effective as is the entire cast of heavyweights.

Last edited:

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I watched Saltburn last night. I loved it!
My thoughts:
The less you know going in, the better.
It’s a pitch black comedy and a drama.
Fantastic cast!
It’s definitely NOT for everyone. It’s about love, jealousy, social/economic class, sex, ambition and so much more.
It was NOTHING like what I expected and I think hardly anyone would see where it takes us.
In some ways it reminded me of Talented Mr. Ripley

Thoughts?
IMG_4402.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks