What's new

Gas BBQ grill recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Myself...I just bought a $200 three burner (plus a side burner) Weber from Target a few weeks ago and am thrilled (so far!).
So that's my own post from six years ago.

First off, I erred in writing Weber. I bought an Amana Grill at the time.

Coincidentally, I just said to my wife yesterday as I was grilling some turkey burgers that it looked to be about time for a new grill (and I couldn't remember how long we had had the current grill). So now I know.

While I have been quite happy with the performance of the grill over the years, it is rather disheartening to have to decide that the foundation of the grill has had enough. I have replaced the burners and burner covers over the years. But when the inside metal rims which serve to hold the burners and their covers in place have deteriorated to the point of no return, I think it's time to move on. It's too bad because the exterior is in pretty good shape and those metal rims are probably replaceable. But I just don't feel like it anymore. I also used to do all my own oil changes on the cars. Not any more.

For those in-the-know: What would moving to a Weber get me (in terms of improvements)? Do they really use parts that are more resistant to rust than the other manufacturers?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The grill I'm replacing is a Weber charcoal grill with a gas charcoal lighter. Bought in 2005. I've been careless in keeping it covered. It's still in good shape. Nothing has been fixed on it and nothing needs fixing. I'm just tired of fooling around with charcoal. I'm looking forward to better temp control and more cooking space. I went in to Home Depot and checked out the weber. It is quality and I'm impressed with the stories about customer service.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
We have had a Weber Summit six burner grill for approx. 8-10 years. I finally needed to replace the burners and igniters (only some were bad but all came in the kit), the "flavorizer bars" and a piece of the upper grill They replaced the burners under warranty, the others I had to take care of but original parts were still available. Its now as good as new. Other generic gas grills have only lasted us 4-5 years and needed "generic/universal" parts before the demise that never seemed to fit correctly.

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
I believe the Weber burners are warranted for 10 years on the lower lines. I've had a Weber 3 burner purchased in 2001. I have replaced the grates twice, the burner covers (flavor bars) once, and the igniter twice. Stainless burners are warrantied for 10 years, and that's Spirit, Genesis, Summit... Mine are in no need of replacement any time soon.

http://help.weber.com/warranties/

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nathan_F said:
I believe the Weber burners are warranted for 10 years on the lower lines. I've had a Weber 3 burner purchased in 2001. I have replaced the grates twice, the burner covers (flavor bars) once, and the igniter twice. Stainless burners are warrantied for 10 years, and that's Spirit, Genesis, Summit... Mine are in no need of replacement any time soon.

http://help.weber.com/warranties/
I can confirm that!

I was near a Lowe's tonight and my wife and I did a little "window shopping."

First, it was clear to see the difference in build and materials between the Webers and the other brands stocked at out local Lowe's: Char-Broil, Magic Forge, Broil King, etc. The Webers were far and away more heavy-duty and had much better warranties (2-years on all parts, 10-years for burners--on all models). Of course, they were much more expensive...but you get what you pay for.

So, I've got my wife all lined up for a new grill! :biggrin:

And when she saw that some of the grills came in green...I knew I was good-to-go. :laugh:

Johnny: We saw the copper E-330 set up in-store. It was sweet. We are leaning towards the green Genesis E-310 (same model but without the side burner).

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Mike Frezon said:
Johnny: We saw the copper E-330 set up in-store. It was sweet. We are leaning towards the green Genesis E-310 (same model but without the side burner).
The other thing you get with the 330 is the sear-burner. The sear burner is not a burner on the side, like the side burner for heating a pan of beans. It's actually an extra burner in the main compartment. I think the side burner and the sear burner is why the 330 is another $100.

I should point that the apparently Amazon and Lowes, Home Depot charge the same prices of Weber, at least our Home Depot is. I bought from Amazon because 1) I don't have to lug it home from the store, and 2) No sales tax, which is a significant savings.

There's a 3rd important reason, I use Amazon Smile so that some of the proceeds go to my favorite charity, Feline Rescue and Rehome.

I downloaded the assembly instructions, it's going to feel like putting the space shuttle together. OK, ok, i exaggerate a little. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mike Frezon said:
Hmmm. My wife and I both took note tonight that Lowe's offers free installation of their grills AND free delivery of any grill over $399. ;)
Prices are the same everywhere on Weber grills. I'll probably buy from Lowes next month, and get the delivery and setup.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Mike Frezon said:
Hmmm.My wife and I both took note tonight that Lowe's offers free installation of their grills AND free delivery of any grill over $399. ;)
I didn't know that. It's probably. 1-2 hour job pitting it together. I guess one advantage of doing it myself is I'll know how well the thing is built.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Johnny Angell said:
Mark, the Summit line is above my budget, way above. But you are one more vote for Weber. I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger on the copper colored genesis 330.BTW, does yours have a sear burner and do you use it?
No, I don't have the model with sear burner. Mine does have a smoker box (and dedicated burner for it). I use the smoker box fairly regularly for fish, chicken, turkey and ribs. For steak, I crank on all burners (except the infrared rotisserie burner) and get it good and hot before I put the steaks on there. It gets up to about 650 degrees and the stainless steel grates leave wonderful sear marks. With steaks (always thick filet), I do 2 minutes at full heat and then rotate the steak 90 degrees and do 2 more minutes. I repeat with the other side and then I turn off the center burners (leaving side burners on full) and finish the steaks with indirect heat. I check center steak temperature every minute or so using a Thermopen. I pull them when they've reached 120 degrees at center, add a dash of salt (pepper and other seasonings were added before grilling) and cover with aluminum foil to let them rest for 5-10 minutes. When I uncover the steaks the salt has helped pull juices to the top of the steak and they are a delight to the eye (and tongue)!

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Hmmm.

My wife and I both took note tonight that Lowe's offers free installation of their grills AND free delivery of any grill over $399.

;)
I purchased my Summit model from ACE Hardware. They offered $20 off list price (which is about as big of a discount as you'll find on a Weber), free assembly, and $10 for delivery right to my back yard. Top-notch service!

Mark

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Anyone use a STOK Quattro? Heres a link to what I'm talking about: Link Im curious if the inserts are actually useful or not. If they are, that would be pretty cool.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Mark, thinks for the steak grilling tips they may be put to use soon. Jacob, I'm wondering if a pizza stone couldn't be used on any grill?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks