This is my next gaming laptop I think:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Wow, Sam! That is a monster and, since I'm not a gamer, well beyond my needs but, as a nerd, I'm still duly impressed.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
You never have to use it.
True - but it's ugly and most of those software things like that are, or can be, difficult to disable.

I'd also have a lot of trouble convincing myself to purchase a laptop that expensive as well. If I'm spending that kind of money I'd want a fully loaded desktop system as it'd likely provide a few more years of service and be far more repairable should issues arise. From my experience, even the best laptop has roughly a 5 year life.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'd also have a lot of trouble convincing myself to purchase a laptop that expensive as well. If I'm spending that kind of money I'd want a fully loaded desktop system as it'd likely provide a few more years of service and be far more repairable should issues arise. From my experience, even the best laptop has roughly a 5 year life.
Alternatively, that amount of money would go a long way towards a new Pre/Pro. :cool:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I don't "game" so I am curious about this. Wouldn't it be better to game with a huge monitor, maybe a 65" 4K TV set, connected to a desktop PC?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Not if you aren’t at home. And big screens have their limits. At a desktop most people can’t scan more than 27-32”. 42 is pushing it. 48 is right out. To game on a 55”+ you need to be in an easy chair.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Of course, the other side of that is many designers seem to think *everyone* sits in front of a desktop computer with a ~32" (or larger) screen *or* a laptop streaming to a *HUGE* screen and has perfect vision. This is based my use of consoles and watching my grandson play on his ~32" screen (desktop) with much of the text I see on-screen that's just too small to read on anything smaller than a 65" screen unless that screen is "in your face" - and even then much of it is still a bit too small for my old eyes...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thread for news in this arena. Deals too

This is my next gaming laptop I think:
Neat!

What’s your usage? Is this around the house gaming on the couch? Or when you’re on travel, visiting family, or such?

Do play off battery or plugged in?

You’re much more into gaming than me: my travel gear is a Switch for gaming (iPad for shows, iPhone for audiobooks). No experience with gaming PCs let alone laptops in recent years.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I multibox Diablo at home and have been spending a lot of weekends with my parents in nj. I can game on pc while they watch 10 straight hours of judge Judy and house hunters. I played the Diablo beta on my MacBook Pro but that wasn’t really optimal. Ideally I’d have a real gaming pc and augment that with my iPad Pro for social.

On the multibox front having laptops side by side with my main gaming rig lets me run alts and packhorse accounts while I do the “work” of seasons on one character while getting double the benefit on other characters. It’s madness but I find it fun and rewarding. :)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
True - but it's ugly and most of those software things like that are, or can be, difficult to disable.

Or if it’s a MacBook, double that number. 😉

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Keep toying with the idea of getting a gaming PC, but can't decide on the specs. Whenever I start looking at these things I find I always find myself gravitating toward getting a top of the line machine. I found an SI, Falcon Northwest, with a machine I like. The build quality looks stellar, but 7200 Canadian before shipping and taxes, Yowch.

All aluminum case, 14700 or 900K CPU, 32 GB of RAM, 2TB SSD and 4090 GPU. The thermals are pretty good considering the case.looks like it should be a cooling nightmare but,apparently, a lot.of testing has gone into validating their cooling design. The cable management is the best I've seen out of all the reviews I have watched.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I really wanted the Strix Scar but went with much more reasonably priced plain 4060 Strix. I firmly believe it’s the best bang for the buck gaming laptop of 2023. Fans aren’t too bad either

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I finally decided on a PC. Went with a Lenovo Legion desktop. Intel I7-13700KF, 4080, 16GB 5400 DDR5, 512GB SSD (which I think is too small, but can always buy 1 or 2 TB secondary storage drive during another sale). The only other thing is it uses air-cooling rather than a liquid cooler, but I figured C$2700 wasn't bad for what it has.

Probably could have waited, since they have announced the 40 series supers at CES, but I bought it because it actually uses standard computer parts, so I can upgrade it when ever I feel like.

What I'm looking for is a list of PC games that do not have console analogues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks