What's new

Galactica 1980, anyone?...Anyone? (1 Viewer)

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Actually, I would submit that so-called "fans of the original" who aren't willing to confront the duplicity of Ronald Moore and his campaign of running down the original to justify the existence of the imposter version, are the ones who need to learn a bit more about having an open mind.

Rutgar

Second Unit

You do realize that what you just wrote makes absolutely no sense. Mr. Moore's personal views and opinions have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not I like the new Galactica, or whether or not it's a good show.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I'd rather just avoid the "politics" behind the show and watch it at face value. Closed minded... sure.

I know I'll regret asking this, but if it is so bad, why did Richard Hatch do an episode?

Martin

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Course, there are those who don't think there was all that much special about the original series in the first place.

I kinda understand the vitrol a bit, considering what Richard Hatch was trying to do. At the same time, Ron Moore does have a good pedigree, and the series seems to be doing fairly well with those who have an open mind. Course, part of the argument is, why do you have to screw around in someone else's sandbox?

Personally, I've only seen one episode, and I thought it was pretty decent, from what I've seen. It takes getting used to familiar characters in different forms, but I think it works.

Jason

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
"You do realize that what you just wrote makes absolutely no sense."

The notion that the animosity toward the new series on the part of many in TOS fanbase is the result of not having a hint of an open mind is what made no sense to me, and that is what I commented on.

As for why Richard did an episode, the answer to that one is obvious: His ego and desire for attention which in large part is why he suddenly out of the blue was trying to spearhead a revival a few years ago with his novels that revealed how little he knows of the original series to begin with. Dirk Benedict, thankfully, knew what kind of proper answer to give regarding a similar offer.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
The new series had better be a lot better than the pilot I rented this weekend.

I couldn't believe a modern re-telling was so much slower with so much less action and FX than the original.

And characers you couldn't give two shits about.

I just love how in modern TV everyone has to be an alcoholic, have major family problems, questionable sexuality, or be a robot. What happened to likeable characters? I knew Starbuck had become a woman, but I was surprised to see Boomer went from a black man to an Asian woman. And it was strange that all the prominent female characters from the OS were gone, and the important African-American characters transformed to different races and/or genders. In 2003 miniseries bonus material, they act like they're being revolutionary: "there are now female pilots in the navy, so now they're in the show," when there WERE female fighter pilots on the original BG series. It's obvious the new creators never watched it. And why fight an enemy with a really cool backstory when you can revisit the tired man(creator) vs. machine(created) plotline every body and their brother has created a movie series about lately? Then, of course there's the irony, that not only is Starbuck a woman, but she has shorter hair than her male counterpart. I guess if you're going to change things, you may as well do a total 180.

Now, there are two schools of thought: Start with hateful characters and slowly make them likeable so that people will warm up to them. Or, start with likeable characters that are all friends, and gradually make them hateful people who hate each other. (The ER strategy.) Ironically, the only character I liked was the baddie.

Sorry for the rant. I really didn't think the new version was HORRIBLE, and will likely check out some episodes to see if it gets any better. Back to topic: I hope BS1980 comes out, just so I can rent it, but from the sounds of it it does the OS more harm than good.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter

I would think you should avoid it then. A lot of good points. My only counter argument is, what the hell else sci-fi are you going to watch this year? :frowning:

Martin.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
"Course, there are those who don't think there was all that much special about the original series in the first place."

Granted, but why should the people who didn't like the original be responsible for "reinventing" that show in which they grub off the name that was kept alive because of the fanbase of the original, to turn it into something else? People who hated the original have no business doing anything with an end product called "Battlestar Galactica", which should have been left to those who did like it, like Tom DeSanto.

Rutgar

Second Unit

Well I think obviously he liked the "concept" of the original, and had his own vision of it. Nothing wrong with that.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
He did not like the "concept", because if he did like the concept he would not, as a matter of course (1) jettisoned the concept of the Human-Cylon war being a component in the absolute Good-Evil struggle in favor of the stalest, smelliest of cliches of "man's creation turning on him" and (2) he would not have changed the gender of Starbuck on the phony ground that the original had no strong female characters when the character of Sheba renders that laughable and (3) he would not have changed the strong family relationships of the original and the positive view of religion and faith that was essential to the original in favor of dysfunctional characters and an anti-religion mindset. It's one thing if you want to make a sci-fi series that epitomizes that way of thinking, but not in a show called "Battlestar Galactica".

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Universal, unfortunately owns the show. Glen Larson recently had to sue to get the movie rights to Galactica free and clear, but unfortunately he does not have the money or the strength to put forth a genuine continuation effort, thanks in no small part to the PR machine for TNS which is determined to run down TOS's value and importance to its fanbase.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Eric, I share your love for the original show. But do you have to bash the new one on every thread that has the name Galactica in it. I myself LOATH Galactica 80 for many reasons, super flying bikes to super scouts. It has nothing good in it, except great actors in a bad show. HOWEVER, that is only My opinion. If someone else loves this show, or any other show...go for it man! If you want this on DVD i stand behind you, but please stop with the crusade to tell others that it is a bastard child. Have you been watching it? I mean REALLY watching it, with your negative feelings held at bay? Dont think i am saying you HAVE to like the new one, but really we did a few pages on it on another thread.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I had no intention of raising the subject, but unfortunately it doesn't sit well with me when I see comments about how those who don't like it don't have a "hint of an open mind". The animosity toward the current version stemmed from the fact that most of us took a long careful look at what was going on.

I never like seeing the subject come up at all, to be honest, but unfortunately it doesn't take much for the old wounds to get opened up again and then the next thing you know we're off and running.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Eric, i hear ya man. I feel the same way about Berman and Braga on How they handle Star Trek. But back on topic, i would own one episode of Galactica 80, the same one you all would own. "The Return of Starbuck" was a classic all the way. I remember how exciting it was to have Galactica come back in the form of Galactica 80, but that was killed so fast with Dr. Zee and thewhat if the Cylons attact our primitive earth demo.
Nice use of footage from Earthquake though. Anyway, as i said if anyone loves this show, enjoy!:)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Bah! If Universal owns it, then they own the vision going forward. Good for them for taking a 26 year old stale story and making it something of value again. Ahem. :D

Martin.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
The only thing I find stale is the arguments used and put forth by bashers of TOS to justify the fake version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks