What's new

Funny Girl? (1 Viewer)

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Rafael-
No, you are in good company. I've been waiting for Funny Girl since it was first announced and postponed almost 2-3 years ago. Read the dvdfile review and looks like it's been worth the wait! I'm grateful it's taken then this long, sounds like they've done some extensive restoration! Thanks for directing me, I've been clicking around and somehow missed their posting.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
There definitely wasn't much fanfare with this release. I had almost forgotten I had pre-ordered this until I got an e-mail notification of shipment. I am really looking forward to this one. I am, however not as interested in Funny Lady.

RafaelB

Second Unit
Brian-
I was actually lucky enough to catch the re-release last month here in DC and just seeing it on a big screen was a treat.
(In fact, we were so close to the screen, that we noticed that Babs has acne scars)
I've been waiting for this one since the first announcement years ago as well, since it's my favorite Streisand movie (a close second is "What's Up Doc?").
Rafael

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Rafael-
To me, it is the ONLY Streisand film, her ultimate showcase, working with the director William Wyler, her best showstopping musical moments etc.
I agree What's Up Doc rates second with me too, next would be Way We Were, Hello, Dolly, and I love Clear Day and Owl and Pussycat too. After the mid seventies most of her films were a major disappointment, seems like after her relationship with Jon Peters nothing ever measured up.
Good for you, able to see the new print on the big screen. Depending on the set up sounds like this disc could be a close second to that experience. I've only seen it on TV, VHS, never saw it theatrically. It's movies like this that have caused me to invest in all the latest, expensive home theater technology. Very few releases get me this excited. Tomorrow is the day!

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Mine is on the way. What I love is that I sold my widescreen LD of this title on Ebay last year, believing it would be out a few months, for $202.50! It was a longer wait then I expected, but, at least according to the reviews I've read, well worth it.
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

Russ Felton

Stunt Coordinator
Just got mine in the mail today. I didn't get to watch the whole thing but what I saw of it looks great. Can't wait to watch the whole thing.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
The DVD doesn't look bad, but I expected the negative to look cleaner. Colors are right and the print is sharp - but there were more white speckles running through the print then when I saw the film last month at the Royale Theater in Los Angeles, especially during the "My Man" number.
The white speckles are from the negative and appear on the letterboxed laserdisc as well. I would have though they could have been digitally removed for the DVD release. Then the picture would have been truly stunning.
[Edited last by Greg_M on October 25, 2001 at 03:58 PM]

James D S

Screenwriter
Damn! I knew I was forgetting something when I left the store. Oh well, back to Best Buy...
[Edited last by James D S on October 23, 2001 at 11:06 PM]

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's a miracle that studios are taking the care and time to restore their classic films. DVD File says that the "Funny Girl" project took three years to reach completion and it's apparent from the new DVD that a lot of work (and money) went into the restoration.
But the annoying presence of white specks throughout the film is more than a little annoying, especially when you know that the technology exists to remove blemishes like this. The rest of the film looks incredible. The clarity is so good that many scenes have a 3-D quality to them. The most dramatic improvement (to me) was the soundtrack. Wonderful!
But those white specks... why would the restoration go 95% of the way towards perfection but stop just short of it?
It's great to see the 'new' "Funny Girl." It's also a little disappointing.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I think that the Funny Girl DVD looks and sounds good and found the small amounts of speckling to be hardly any distraction at all. My biggest criticism of the video is that it has some slight registration problems, but you need to be watching carefully to see them and they are undoubtedly from the restored film element. Given the reported number of negative sections that had to be recreated from separation masters, this effect was much slighter than I anticipated. As far as extras, the Barbara-worship in the featurettes was a bit hard for me to take, but they are easy to ignore. :)
Thanks, Columbia!
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
It had been quite a while since I had seen this movie. What a great movie. I had forgotten how vibrant the colors were. The sound was also very good. All in all a great transfer for a movie that is 33 years old.

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Since I was among the most excited and anxiously waiting for this release I should probably share my enthusiasm regarding this restoration and transfer. It is magnificent. If you haven't already -you should read the interview with the film restorer Grover Crisp on dvdfile.com.
Yes, there is some noticeable enhancement which one could argue is the only flaw in this glorious and otherwise reference quality transfer. The EE is pretty minor though, you really have to be looking for it to be annoyed -it was never too intrusive to me. The luster, colors, detail, sound (as Ms. Streisand said to Mr. Crisp, this is how the musical should sound) are all right on the money and I can't wait to sit thorough it again! Thank you Grover Crisp and Columbia!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I was actually lucky enough to catch the re-release last month here in DC and just seeing it on a big screen was a treat.
Raphael,
no body told me this and i missed it!
Hey...we're both local. Have you been to ProVideo in Georgetown (near the cathdral) to check out the Sharp 9000 yet?
-dave

RafaelB

Second Unit
Hey David,
I can't believe you missed the screening! It was at the Uptown for two weeks, actually, before Hearts In Atlantis started its run there...
I only found out about it because I caught a trailer for it attached to Hedwig & the Angry Inch and had my eye looking for its release.
And, no I haven't checked out that Provideo place in G'Twone. Is it good?
Rafael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks