What's new

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011 (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Jack P said:
I only want to clarify one thing because at the time the partially corrected fixes came out I was among those who reacted more with a glass half-full attitude after the horror show of the initial Season 2 Volume 1 release but I don't recall ever suggesting "get over it" nor do I recall anyone else doing that. I'm quite happy we got the fixed verison in total and applaude Carabimero and all others who helped make it possible, but at the time the partial correction came out, it was possible to react in the half-full way as opposed to half-empty.

That was exactly my feeling. I too was happy enough with the S2 V1 replacement that I could have lived with it. It was certainly miles better than what we got previously, but truly, the final MOST WANTED set is the way it should have been all along.

I always try to look on the bright side of things. It makes life a lot better.

Harry

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The "half-full" sets found a happy new home when I was able to let my father have those for his own "viewing copies" (he's not particular about the music) after I got the Most Wanted set.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I have more than 400 Fugitive DVDs. I have the split season sets, the replacements, the episodes I fixed, several sets of series fans sent me so I could rip music for my restorations, a ton of special features discs someone sent me, a set of incredible restorations done by a fan, one-inch master DVD transfers, a complete set of check discs, the first boxed set, and the second boxed set. I don't know why I keep them all; Jack's post made me realize I should donate some to folks who might enjoy them. Maybe in a few years I'll be able to let them all go. Right now there's still too much emotion attached to them.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
If I were to buy the complete series DVD set on amazon right now, would the discs be correct? Or would I have to do the trade in program?

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
remain optimistic ??? oh-oh, i better stop there !!!!! :D

i also would like to thank those who went above and beyond (was not aware of this) to help convince cbs to give us a better product.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Not to be argumentative, but there were a few comments of "stop complaining" about the semi-corrected sets and yes, many that felt the glass was half full. When we got replacement discs for S2V1, I thought I could accept that level of replacement and then, the totally unacceptable release of S2V2 arrived. And the truth was I couldn't accept the first half either. I determined I could not watch any of the episodes that featured replacement music and that I would have to continue watching crappy quality VHS tapes. They were preferable to me than beautiful prints with replacement music. Like Caribmero, I was determined to get restored episodes.

I guess some of us were a little obsessed but I do have the collector mentality and I had to have this show in perfect quality. I didn't expect CBS to provide it but all of us on this Forum helped make it happen.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Jack P said:
The "half-full" sets found a happy new home when I was able to let my father have those for his own "viewing copies" (he's not particular about the music) after I got the Most Wanted set.
Even if someone doesn't know about the music, I wouldn't want them to see the series with the replaced score because the original music is so important to the feel and mood of the series. I would not want to deprive someone of the full impact of this show. I couldn't stand that MeTV was showing the program with replaced music.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What a great story everyone--especially Alan. Thanks for revisiting it in these last few pages. Sounds like quite a ride you guys went on! :biggrin:

I guess I just wasn't paying attention to the Fugitive issues back then.

Is THIS the thread in question?

If it is the Season 2 Volume 1 thread, I cannot find it right now.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Just FYI, I *told* my father the difference and it didn't matter to him. He's happy with what he's got, and I'm happy I've got the version I want to watch so let's leave it at that.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Mike, that's a different thread. I remember that one, though. It's not the season two volume 1 thread. I believe the thread in question was put on mothballs because someone ended up getting kicked off the boards by the end of it. That's my recollection, anyway.

On my deathbed I will post some cool Fugitive links that fans will find interesting... :)

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I remember eagerly pre-ordering S2V1, then watching in total disbelief at what had been done to the music.

With each new half-season release, I kept expecting that CBS would have ironed out the problems, secured the rights, and fixed the music. And it was infuriating that this wasn't happening. I was absolutely livid with anger.

Thanks to all of the angry fans, whose united outcry shamed CBS into fixing the music.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I have not heard the back story behind The Fugitive being fixed to the quality it is today. When S2V1 came out, I had never seen an episode of the TV show and didn't know what all of the fuss was about. From reading about the show on this forum, I decided to buy S1V1 to test the waters and was blown away. I bought S1V2 soon after and was apprehensive whether to continue with all of the terrible reviews of the S2 and S3 sets.

The Most Wanted Edition came out soon afterward, so I waited patiently for it to be corrected.

Now I have the fully corrected set and it is not only the best box set I own, but one of my favorite TV shows. I can't believe I never watched an episode until a few years ago. I'm still working my way though a corrected Season 2.

Thanks to everyone! (especially Gary OS and Carabimero)

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
So the music brouhaha actually created a new fan of the show, Phenri. Glad you got to see it the way it was originally produced. Are you a person old enough to have seen it in the 60's or a younger classic TV fan?

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
stevelecher said:
So the music brouhaha actually created a new fan of the show, Phenri. Glad you got to see it the way it was originally produced. Are you a person old enough to have seen it in the 60's or a younger classic TV fan?

I was an infant when The Fugitive started in the fall of 1963, so I was not old enough to watch it. My Mom remembers watching it, especially the finale. The day the running stopped is her birthday.

I'm surprised it was never in reruns when I was growing up in the 70s. I saw the movie with Harrison Ford long before I saw an episode. I didn't hear any of the replacement music until I watched a Season 2 episode on Me-TV. I admit it is jarring. It doesn't go well with the flow of the show.

This is easily the most exciting drama of the 60s. If it wasn't for Mannix, this would be my favorite show.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I was another one that didn't see this show until it was on DVD. I had always been curious about it since seeing the Harrison Ford film, but until it started coming out on DVD I hadn't seen a single episode. It wasn't rerun in my area when I was younger and when I did get cable in the late 80s, it wasn't on then either.

I was going to get it when it started being released on DVD but I held off. Then the whole music fiasco started and I didn't want butchered sets so I held off. I missed the first Most Wanted set so I was gong to get the second Most Wanted set when the faulty discs were discovered. So, I again waited. By that time I finally got to see a few episodes on MeTV and really liked it. So, I got the Most Wanted set and the replacement discs.

The show has since become one of my very favorites. I try to watch it from beginning to end at least once a year. My next viewing should be later this spring or early summer.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Since we're doing our histories here, my story is that while I was old enough to have watched the series when it started, the fact is it was on against my favorite variety series in its first year. I was a big fan of THE GARRY MOORE SHOW on CBS with the likes of Carol Burnett, Durward Kirby, and Marion Lorne.

When ABC put THE FUGITIVE on against it, I thought it looked tempting, but I couldn't give up on old Garry Moore. I'd been watching his show since the late '50s. I recall my dad and sisters wanting to watch THE FUGITIVE while I went upstairs to my room to watch my show, and I recall seeing the opening train accident and thinking it looked like a pretty good show.

I also recall conversations between my sisters about how exciting THE FUGITIVE was.

In the second year, I didn't start watching the show until sometime in the middle of the season. Not sure why - perhaps something else was on CBS then. I know THE FUGITIVE's great ratings had killed off GARRY MOORE, so I might have been a little miffed to give in to "the enemy." I don't recall when I DID start watching it. I must have eased in, but once I did, I was sold on it and it became appointment television.

Every Tuesday at 10, it was time for THE FUGITIVE. I eagerly awaited the rerun season that summer so I could see some of the ones I missed. Third season rolled around and I continued watching, and the fourth season it went to color - a big event as we were early color adopters.

When ABC started running the fourth season, they also began running the first three years on ABC daytime. Every chance I got, I watched it in those early afternoon births with the hopes of seeing some of the first season. Eventually summer came around and I made sure to watch THE FUGITIVE ever Monday-Friday in the early afternoon. That was the summer that we waited for the finale.

Harry

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Harry-N said:
When ABC started running the fourth season, they also began running the first three years on ABC daytime. Every chance I got, I watched it in those early afternoon births with the hopes of seeing some of the first season. Eventually summer came around and I made sure to watch THE FUGITIVE ever Monday-Friday in the early afternoon. That was the summer that we waited for the finale.

Harry

hi harry,

we would always combine our lunch break with the fugitive, and then go back to play ball in the afternoon. so out here, it must have run either from 12-1 or 1-2 ?

but i was thinking they did that for more than just the last year ?

there was a tremendous amount of ado about "who was really gonna be the killer ?"

lots of people thought that they were gonna pull a fast one, and have someone else end up as the killer.

i went to see the angels and tigers play on the night of its original airing.

but they showed it again the next night or that weekend, and i got to watch it without anyone telling me the outcome !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.