What's new
World Wide Stereo

FS: ASL Tube Preamp (1 Viewer)

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
The preamp and tubes have been sold. Thanks for looking.

I am selling my Antique Sound Labs AQ2004DT tube based stereo preamp. This model was ASL's entry level unit and has just recently been discontinued. It is approximately 2 years old, black and in excellent condition. It was used to drive a solid state Sherbourn amplifier without any trouble. The AQ2004 has 3 line level inputs and a single output via gold plated RCA connectors. It takes two 12AU7's (ECC82), one 12AX7 (ECC83) and is being sold with 2 sets of tubes.

The first set of tubes consists of a pair of standard new production Electro-Harmonix ECC82's and a JJ ECC83. These are nice tubes and IMO are an upgrade from the stock tubes originally sold with the preamp. The second set consists of a GE JAN 5751 and a pair of NOS cryo-treated CIFTE 12AU7's. The 5751 is a military version of the 12AX7, with a gain of 70, rather than the gain of 100, which is typical for a standard 12AX7 tube. The 5751 seems to make the preamp background quieter in comparison to a standard 12AX7. IMO the cryo-treated NOS CIFTE 12AU7's ($100/pr by themselves) provide a noticable improvement in high and low end frequency response and detail over the Electro-Harmonix tubes.

I like this preamp a lot, especially with the CIFTE tubes, but it simply does not have enough inputs for me. I have replaced it with a Bryston preamp that has a phono stage, which I also need. Unfortunately, I can't afford to keep 2 preamps, so this one has to go. If you have ever wanted to try a tube preamp, this is an excellent unit to start with. If you have experience with tubes you know what a great value this little preamp is, especially with the cryo-treated CIFTE tubes included. I will be happy to demo this unit for serious local buyers. Here is a link to the ASL page for the AQ2004. FYI, the picture on the page shows gold tone volume and input selector knobs, but my unit has black knobs.

$275 + actual shipping cost for the preamp and both sets of tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomkzufomsg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale