What's new

From Here to Eternity (1953) Blu-ray in October (UK)! (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Gary16 said:
Laura?The Maltese falcon?Casablanca?Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein?Treasure of the Sierra Madre?Titanic (Clifton Webb)?Shadow of a Doubt?Strangers on a Train?The postman always rings twice(Lana turner)?Sunset blvd?
Out of all those titles there is not a Sony released title. The only one has been ON THE WATERFRONT and that was from Criterion. Only three have been this year others year, or two and more years ago. Where are the Sony titles, on Criterion or Twilight Time .like THE BIG COMBO.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Robert Crawford said:
Nah, I think Sony wants to release this one themselves.
You really think so. I hope your right but I think that it will head to Criterion or Twilight.Criterion would be a good thing.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
ahollis said:
Out of all those titles there is not a Sony released title. The only one has been ON THE WATERFRONT and that was from Criterion. Only three have been this year others year, or two and more years ago. Where are the Sony titles, on Criterion or Twilight Time .like THE BIG COMBO.
The titles were not selected based on Sony or any other studio. It was a response to your earlier post that said:
"I don't know. A 1.37:1 black and white movie is not a big seller on store shelves. Perhaps Criterion."
All the titles listed are 1.37:1 black and white movies and all were released on blu-ray by their home studio, not by TT or Olive or Criterion. Therefore I see no reason why "From Here To Eternity" which is arguably a title as big as any of the others shouldn't be expected to be released here by Sony.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Gary16 said:
The titles were not selected based on Sony or any other studio. It was a response to your earlier post that said:
"I don't know. A 1.37:1 black and white movie is not a big seller on store shelves. Perhaps Criterion."
All the titles listed are 1.37:1 black and white movies and all were released on blu-ray by their home studio, not by TT or Olive or Criterion. Therefore I see no reason why "From Here To Eternity" which is arguably a title as big as any of the others shouldn't be expected to be released here by Sony.
A lot have time has passed since those were released and released by other studios that do not have an affiliation with Twilight Time. Sony does not seem to be regulating known titles to a regular release pattern. LOA and FUNNY GIRL are the only two titles released in the past 12 months that were considered classics from Sony. FHTE is not as epic as LOA and there is not star of Streisand's following in it

It would be nice for Sony to do it with bunch of extras, but I think Twilight or Chriterion has this.

EDIT: While Fox does have an agreement with Twilight Time. They also are making an effort to release one classic a month on Blu-ray themselves. Which Sony is not.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ahollis said:
A lot have time has passed since those were released and released by other studios that do not have an affiliation with Twilight Time. Sony does not seem to be regulating known titles to a regular release pattern. LOA and FUNNY GIRL are the only two titles released in the past 12 months that were considered classics from Sony. FHTE is not as epic as LOA and there is not star of Streisand's following in itIt would be nice for Sony to do it with bunch of extras, but I think Twilight or Chriterion has this.EDIT: While Fox does have an agreement with Twilight Time. They also are making an effort to release one classic a month on Blu-ray themselves. Which Sony is not.
I think you're wrong because of the UK release and it probably being Region Free, I think Sony releases it here too.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Robert Crawford said:
I think you're wrong because of the UK release and it probably being Region Free, I think Sony releases it here too.
Certainly hope I am. If so it will be a tremendous release.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I have a contact within Sony who assured me there will be a US Blu-ray release in either October or November so it could very well be the same as the UK date. If i hear more I will post it.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I posted this question on the Way We Were thread but did not get a response. Since this thread is currently more active I will ask it again here. I hope that is not against the rules.

Many Columbia/Sony films being released by Twilight Time in the US or not being released at all in the US are being released by Sony in Germany and Italy. Posts have mentioned that many of the German discs from Sony have been region free. I have heard nothing about discs sold in Italy. The discs from Italy are cheaper than the discs from Germany at least currently.
Other than the language on the cover, does anyone know if there is any difference between discs sold in different countries in Europe?

RBBrittain

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
Garysb said:
I posted this question on the Way We Were thread but did not get a response. Since this thread is currently more active I will ask it again here. I hope that is not against the rules.

Many Columbia/Sony films being released by Twilight Time in the US or not being released at all in the US are being released by Sony in Germany and Italy. Posts have mentioned that many of the German discs from Sony have been region free. I have heard nothing about discs sold in Italy. The discs from Italy are cheaper than the discs from Germany at least currently.
Other than the language on the cover, does anyone know if there is any difference between discs sold in different countries in Europe?
If they're from the same studio (and it's a major studio), generally no. The EU wants as many of its languages as possible on discs sold there, regardless of country. Also, studios don't wanna spend money making extra BD masters without good reason; absent rights issues there usually isn't one in Europe. Where you run into problems is where the rights were fractured among multiple studios (i.e., Dances With Wolves) and/or belong to a smaller studio that uses multiple indie distributors in Europe (i.e., LOTR since New Line's overseas distribution contracts are still valid even though it's part of WB now); that's not true for the Sony releases in question.

Look at the BDinfo scans (below the picture comparison) of As Good as It Gets (DE vs. US) at http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cID=1644#auswahl . While the U.S. TT version (bottom scan) has only English audio & subs, the DE Sony version (top scan) has 11 audio tracks in 10 languages -- the doubled one is Spanish (i.e., Castilian vs. Latin American) -- including Italian as well as German. On this title, I can just about assure you the Italian disc is the same as the German one -- and eventually the UK one, assuming it is eventually released there. (Since the languages include Japanese, I suspect even the Japanese disc is the same.) That will probably also be true of *any* title Sony owns worldwide that is licensed to Criterion or TT (if at all) in the U.S.--FHTE, On the Waterfront, Philadelphia, etc.

Where you might get burned with ordering from Italy (vs. Germany or the UK), however, is shipping. Amazon DE only recently slashed its U.S. shipping rates so deeply (€3.00/order + €3.00/kg) that they're obviously aiming for Americans accustomed to importing from Amazon UK due to low shipping rates offset by VAT refunds (which all Amazon EU sites offer to non-EU customers). Since Amazon UK is increasingly using DHL Global Mail for its U.S. shipments, I suspect Deutsche Post (which owns DHL) may have cut a sweetheart deal for the U.S. with Amazon DE as well (all Amazon EU sites are now centrally managed from Luxembourg). OTOH, Amazon FR, IT & ES all still have high U.S. shipping rates (€8-10/order + per-item or per-kg add-ons); either Amazon or Deutsche Post/DHL isn't as interested in selling from those countries to the U.S. ;)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Thanks I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. I was aware of the difference in shipping but even with that the price was almost 20 euros cheaper for six discs ordered from Italy instead of Germany. The discs from Italy come out after the Germany releases so I hope there is confirmation that the discs are region free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks