What's new

Fritz Lang's M: Criterion - review and screen caps (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Gil, thanks for the excellent review. I've been hyped for this release ever since I heard it was going to happen, and it's great to see that it's a home-run.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Very nice work, Gil! :emoji_thumbsup:

Although I have the Eureka, and enjoyed the set a great deal, I did find the actual transfer to look very"digital" and shimmery. The Criterion looks the ideal mix of detail and lack of artifice. I've already ordered it!

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Actually, the Eureka picture is incredible. There is really not a significant amount of difference between the two, save the cropping. So, when you say "not nearly as good as the Criterion" t'ain't so.

Gil Jawetz

Stunt Coordinator
That's cool. What I saw of the Eureka looked overly sharpened to my eye, but it was certainly better than, say, the old Criterion. I found the new Criterion, however, to be just incredibly beautiful.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

FWIW, I noticed the same problems with the Eureka: it looked harsh and processed to my eyes (but still very good). And just as I sold the old Criterion to get the Eureka, I've recently sold the Eureka and ordered the new Criterion.

And isn't the "cropping" that's seen on many Criterions and Warner classics just done to stabilize the picture (remove jitter), and well within reasonable bounds?

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
I'm wondering how do you crop a movie shot in nearly 1:1.2 aspect ratio? Was the cropping necessary to remove damaged film artifacts?

Tony Scello

Second Unit
Looks like another home run for Criterion. I've had this release pre-ordered for months and can't wait to get my hands on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks