What's new

Frankenheimer's The Horsemen (1 Viewer)

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
I picked this up tonight and have been watching it with mouth on floor. You will never hear me bitching about Columbia, because their occasional and annoying faux pas will never outweigh the incredible catalog titles they are making available in their OAR in stunning transfers. They are putting out catalog titles that no other studio in their right mind would put out, titles that really don't have a chance in hell of being big sellers. I mean, first The Swimmer, then the gorgeous new DVD of Bonjour Tristesse (which I wrote about here a few days ago) and now Mr. Frankenheimer's The Horsemen, one of only three Frankenheimer films I'd never seen.

Like the film or not (and so far I'm liking it very much - an hour into it), this transfer will knock your socks off. It is sharp as a tack, perfect color, and just amazing thus far. I don't know what their source was but whatever it was it was in magnificent shape (save for some dirt specks, which I only bring up because that seems to be a big bugaboo with reviewers here at the HTF - I don't really give a flying Wallenda about a few dirt specks - the ones here are on display mainly in the opening titles).

If you're a Frankenheimer fanatic, it's a must. The action scenes in the first hour are some of the finest things he ever directed.

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Bruce!

Your wonderful words should make everyone on my Yahoo group happy.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info Bruce! I had no idea this was coming out. Ah, another DVD for my ever-expanding Amazon Wish List...

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
I've finished watching it. What an interesting and strange film. Frankenheimer's work is terrific. It's fairly short for a film of this type 106 or seven minutes. The camerwork is terrific. Now, I don't think Columbia did any "restoration" on this film, I don't think it went to Lowry's Digital or anywhere like that, and yet it looks amazing, like it was shot yesterday and is up there with the best of film transfers from shows of this age, including the restorations.

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Bruce!

The reason it seems so short at 107 minutes is because it was intended to be a road show film, to clock in at the 3-hour mark. When the studio changed hands, the new suits decided to make it a standard film. "Does this pose any problems?" they asked JF. "Just that I have to scrap half the scenes we've shot, including this one," was Frankenheimer's response.

Can't wait to see it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks