What's new

FOX drops ball with Demo DVD #2 (1 Viewer)

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Fox's explaination of Widescreen was lacking. While it is commendable that Fox added an explaination of Widescreen it should a been in the form of a video presentation with many examples instead of the text form that most mainstream customers won't bother to read. And even if they do read the text presentation it is probably too abstract for most to clearly understand.

The point would have been made more effectively with video instead of text. IMO

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The Fox Demo DVDs use an abriged version of The Digital Bits "Guide To Widescreen." So its not really Fox's fault that its not completely thorough. It just covers the basics in simple words...remember that explanation is generally aimed at new DVD owners.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Rutger, I did give Fox credit and said it was commendable. However, Fox is totally responsible for the content of their DVDs. By the way, I'm not arguing whether the explaination is good. After all, they are presenting video trailers on a demo DVD so why not present the widescreen explaination in video form while keeping the text if necessary?

My point is it would have been better had they used a video presentation. People tend to grasp things faster visually.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They did exactly what they did last time. Used Bill's article (except this time fixed the images/used new ones)

It provides a visual representation

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
It seems like Fox would made a better attempt at getting the Widescreen point across a video presentation would have been perfect. Ironically, Fox never lacks for trailers touting their movies at the being of every DVD. "I want you to hit me as hard as you can" Do you think Fox would try text in place of their trailers to tout their movies? No way, because they know a visual presentation (especially in this format) has more impact than text.

Fox I hope you'll do a video presentation in the future.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I think it has to do more with Best Buy not willing to pony up the cash for the licensing fees it costs to do this. You have no idea how much hassle it'd take even to just port the die hard bit, and Best Buy is not willing to pay it

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Jeff, perhaps you're right about the licensing fees. However, that does not preclude Fox from making a DVD using segments from their own catalog.

Sorry, but sadly I just don't believe Fox wanted to present a quality (video)presentation.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Reginald...

Real world facts:

Both Demo DVDs are promotional releases. 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment does not charge for these discs.

Each demo DVD includes several long clips for which royalty payments were made to procure. Not only that licensing issues were also handled for the inclusion of some deleted/alternate scenes, gag reels, and other bonus features.

Now, do you think 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment wants to pay a DVD producer to create a very elaborate demonstration of the benefits of "original intended aspect ratios?" Not after the money they paid out to secure the licenses for the other stuff.

Its cheaper and faster for TCFHE to just use an abridged version of a guide already freely available on the internet.

Cost to Fox? None.

Benefit to Fox? Somewhat.

Benefit to The Digital Bits? Great.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I think you're being unfair to Fox which is providing this disc at basically free of charge while other studios aren't doing anything similar. To me, busting Fox's chops over this issue is very picky! Sure, the disc could have been better, but at least Fox put in the effort to promote the benefits of dvd and their films.

Crawdaddy

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, perhaps you're right about the licensing fees. However, that does not preclude Fox from making a DVD using segments from their own catalog.
Yes it does. This type of thing is not covered by traditional contracts and probably every clip results in some kind of payment.

They made the effort which they didn't have to do. Stop busting their chops

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Please note, one of the benefits of constructive criticism is bringing something to the attention of someone/company/entity that they might not be aware of otherwise. By doing so, this gives them the opportunity to rethink and improve their future products.

I apologize to all who were offended by my observation of what I consider a shortcoming in Fox's DVD presentation. It seems like they could have included the widescreen video presentation from the Die Hard DVD also. Especially since Die Hard is a Fox DVD. Perhaps, they might include it on more of their future DVD releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks