What's new

For Projector Owners: Watching a movie on the projector that you missed in the theatre.... (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have recently joined the projector club. I got the optoma gt1080.

I have been watching movies that I missed in the theatre because I was too young to see it. I had seen it on vhs, dvd, blu ray. it was not the same as watching it on the projector. I watched the first alien movie, rambo first blood, mad max 1 and 2, jaws, and many others. I was curious if others have differnt reaction or the same as me. I understood better the films on the big screen then small screen say the first alien or mad max 2. I guess some movies might lose translation on the small screen.

Jacob

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Congratulations on joining the projector club. I joined last year when I also bought an Optoma. Watching films (and TV in HD) is an entirely new experience and is what blu-rays are made for.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Yes, congratulations. Projection is amazing; I've revisited lots of old favorites as well.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I very rarely go to the movies...but, some are meant for the big screen, like the newest Mad Max. I love my dedicated HT, but seeing that movie in a Regal RPX screen with Dolby Atmos speakers on the ceiling, that was worth the extra few bucks! But, then again, I can't wait to see it in my HT!

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Thank you. I am enjoying the projector very much.. I have mad max on vudu.. it was great. I also saw it in the theatre twice.. once in 2d and once in 3d with dbox chairs.,it was excellent.

Jacob

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
What sized screen do you have, Jacob?

I went front projection last year with a dedicated theater room with 7.1 audio. Amazing experience; I'm using a pro calibrated JVC RS4810 and Stewart ST100 2:35 screen that is 9 feet wide.

One thing that became apparent to me was how some movies truly are made for the big screen - a number of scope epic films in particular.

I haven't seen the new Max Mad, but plan on renting it next week. It should be a great experience.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I am about 132 diagonal. its a great size for movies. I am still getting used to the tv shows. I mostly remember tv being much smaller.

I am using a wall at the moment.

Jacob

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
TheBat said:
I am about 132 diagonal. its a great size for movies. I am still getting used to the tv shows. I mostly remember tv being much smaller.

I am using a wall at the moment.

Jacob

You'll really like it once you get a screen; just be sure to get a decent one based on the environment and viewing conditions.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Bob Cashill said:
Yes, congratulations. Projection is amazing; I've revisited lots of old favorites as well.
Not only revisiting old favorites but first experiences of old classics, never seen before.

It's not the same as watching them on a TV-set, even a big one.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Dave H said:
You'll really like it once you get a screen; just be sure to get a decent one based on the environment and viewing conditions.

I heard it was best to use a wall so you can figure out the size of the screen. down the road i will deal with a screen.

Jacob

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
A general question about projectors because you all seem like my kind of home theatre fans: how long do projector bulbs last, and how much do they cost?

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
TheBat said:
I heard it was best to use a wall so you can figure out the size of the screen. down the road i will deal with a screen.

Jacob
I used a white painted wall before I got my screen(s). It works well, especially with some black masking around the image. I used the rolls of felt tape they sell with peel-off sticky back for that.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
davidmatychuk said:
A general question about projectors because you all seem like my kind of home theatre fans: how long do projector bulbs last, and how much do they cost?
The lamps are usually rated around 2000-3000 hours. They don't burn out usually, just get progressively dimmer as they age. I replaced my lamp a while back and it was around $120 as I recall. Some projectors have lamps that are 3-4x that. I don't use my projector other than for showing movies (don't watch TV on it), so I replaced my lamp after about five years. I'm sure many others replace it much more often that that.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
John Hermes said:
I used a white painted wall before I got my screen(s). It works well, especially with some black masking around the image. I used the rolls of felt tape they sell with peel-off sticky back for that.

thanks.

Jacob

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
davidmatychuk said:
3,000 hours is a lot of viewing. My Optoma DLP projector has been in constant nightly use since mid-June. and I was shocked when I saw my lamp timer was clocked in at just over 100 hours last night.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
davidmatychuk said:

I've owned 6 different projectors since 2006 (3 Pannys, 1 BenQ, 1 Sharp, 1 Epson).

The turnover rate has been such that I've never had to replace a lamp yet. However, since my Sharp 30K DLP has been getting the most use, I did invest in some extra lamps which I purchased from a source in China.They are the bare, OEM lamps, and I already tried replacing one (not terribly difficult) just to make sure that I could do it, and that they work. If I had to purchase the entire assembly, it would have cost me more than double what I paid for the bare lamp.

Anyway, lamp assemblies range from approx. $150 - $350 for most entry level - mid priced projectors. And some now last up to 4k - 5k hours. So I wouldn't worry too much about the lamps. Just find a projector that you can afford and enjoy the big picture! :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
For me personally, the 3D presentation of my projector was worth the price of the projector alone. I have viewed 3D on a few TV sets(which were fine) but on my projector the immersive feeling I get is second to none. Good thing I have been buying 3D titles all along. That decision is paying off big time.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Bryan^H said:
For me personally, the 3D presentation of my projector was worth the price of the projector alone. I have viewed 3D on a few TV sets(which were fine) but on my projector the immersive feeling I get is second to none. Good thing I have been buying 3D titles all along. That decision is paying off big time.

Its much better on a projector for sure.

Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks