What's new

Followup on Denon 3803 two channel bass management (1 Viewer)

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
A few months back, Mike and I had a discussion over how the new Denon 3803 handled 2 channel bass management. Here's the original thread (although it has been edited pretty heavily.) http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=&pagenumber=1

Essentially, we were trying to determine whether 2 channel analog signals were digitized at any point during their travels thru the 3803. The questions were for regular Stereo, Direct and Pure Direct modes.

Well, I finally got an answer. Jeff Talmadge, USA Denon Product Manager posts from time to time over at the guest forum of AVS forum. I post as HAN over at AVS, so that is why the answer is listed as such.

Here is the question and answer...

DenonJeff: I have been having a discussion with a fellow 3803 owner regarding the 3803's bass management when in the 2 channel Stereo mode.

I have been saying that the bass management of the 3803 is essentially unchanged from the earlier Denon's. In other words, the Stereo mode had analog highpass filters and digital lowpass filters that allow you to run small speaker with a sub and remain 100% analog with the 2 main speakers. (It appears to me that the only difference between the 3803 and most earlier models is that the analog highpass can be switched from 40 to 60, 80, 100 or 120 Hz. Earlier models were locked on 80 Hz.)

The other 3803 owner believes that the highpass filters on the Stereo mode are all digital, both highpass and lowpass. He also believes that the only 100% analog pathways are the Direct or Pure Direct modes.

Can you clarify this for us?? Many thanks!

Han,

You are correct, almost, on the BM of the 3803 (in fact all of our AVR product). Stereo with an analog input, stays analog as it passes through an analog hi-pass filter (if the speakers are configured to small) while a seperate but parallel signal goes to the DSP for low-pass filtering. In Direct Mode the hi-pass filter is bypassed, while the digital low pass is still active. In Pure Direct, both the analog high pass and the digital low pass are bypassed, however an analog low pass takes over, so in PD it is 100% analog.

Here is the URL for the AVS thread if any of you are interested. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=5

Hope this helps...

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
Great news...I read it as:

Stereo mode...analog highpass with digital lowpass
Direct mode...analog highpass bypassed with digital lowpass
Pure Direct...Everything bypassed.

I like it, and I can't imagine better available choices. Would I be correct in saying adding an amp to my 3803 and using the Pure Direct mode, an analog signal should be sent from the player to the 3803 to the amp unchanged except for the volume level?

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Yep! Actually, if you turn off the sub in any of the modes (which is possible on the 3803 and still have it on for DD and DTS), you'll have analog all the way from the source to the speakers. (Even if you have speakers set as small in the Stereo mode, turning off the sub makes them full range in that mode.)

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck, This may be a silly question....its early after a long evening. If there is no filters engaged on PD what is routed to the sub?

Edit
Never mind Just re-read DenonJeffs response

In Pure Direct, both the analog high pass and the digital low pass are bypassed, however an analog low pass takes over, so in PD it is 100% analog.
He states "an analog low pass takes over" is this a fixed crossover point-say 80hz.
Thanks Jeff

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Jeff: That's the one piece that he didn't resolve. Short of doing some tests (which I'm not particularly motivated at this point to do) I don't know whether it's fixed at 80 Hz or not. For most of us, I'd hazard a guess that the sub is turned off for Pure Direct...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks