What's new

Flash Drives (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Oh,sure, you can send me the bill. Send me all the bills you want. I've got a shredder for that sort of thing...

Seriously, if you think NTFS is more aggressive to flash drives than FAT32, use FAT32. Perhaps you can partition your 64 GB flash drive into two 32GB sections to make it work.

But even for daily transfers, how much are you writing? I have trouble imagine a constant usage pattern where for a thumb drive. And if that is the behavior, it seems like a simple LAN would be well worth the cost and bother.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Dave,

Thanks for taking care of my bills. It's much appreciated.

I download hundreds of images a day (images for a couple of books I'm working on), and I transfer and store Word documents four or five times a day. These documents are around 1300 and 750 pages in length.

I read different views on which file system (FAT 32 or NTFS) is more reliable. I'm beginning to think no one really knows for certain, as the views are numerous and often times contradictory. (I'm speaking of reviews of both I've read, not what I have read on HTF.)

Thanks for the advice, though. It's helpful and informative. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Well I obviously don't understand your data transfer situation. And I've seen enough to not be surprised by the things we have to do to manage data. So I'll trust that sneakernet is your best option :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Dave,

Look what I found today with a little more digging:

"For readers with a Microsoft Windows XP/Vista operating system and looking to store files larger than 4GB on the drive we highly recommend formatting this drive immediately upon receipt to an NTFS file table to increase the performance and capability of the drive. Users who anticipate moving the DT150 frequently between OS X, Linux and Windows based may want to retain the original FAT32 file table on the drive for maximum compatibility between operating systems."

As I use Microsoft Windows XP and Vista every day, I wish I had known this when I first purchased the drive.

http://www.everythingusb.com/kingston-data-traveler-150-flash-drive-15865.html

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I have a flash drive with many corrupted files. I do not wish to reformat, as I will (I think) lose what data I do have that is not corrupted. I am finding several sites that offer this and that, but I really don't know where to begin to recover corrupted files. It may be that the utility exists on our PCs here at work, but I am not certain. I have tried the Tools function under Properties ("This option will check the volume for errors"), with no luck. I have also scanned with Malware, but the drive is still corrupted. And when I plug it in, a folder appears rather than a 'drive' icon.

I have been looking at the following site, but I don't know if it is reliable. It may be that I can fix this problem without going here.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/Backup_and_Copy_Utilities/USB_Flash_Drive_File_Recovery_Review.html

and (navigating from the above URL):

http://www.stellarinfo.com/partition-recovery.htm?gclid=CODc94fWsJ8CFQjyDAoddHa9dQ

Note: The flash drive is a Kingston, and it is currently formatted in NTFS.

What steps does one take, and in what order, to fix corrupted files on a flash drive? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I fixed my flash drive problem. :) Well, a couple of days after I wrote to Kingston and received word that they had no plans to make available the 256GB flash drive in the U.S., I read this today (on the DT310): http://www.kingston.com/press/2010/flash/02d.asp It’s simply astonishing to me how fast the technology for data storage is progressing. I'd speculate that the USB terrabyte stick is probably 1-2 years away, if not sooner.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's quite something. But I'm still waiting for an affordable SSD hard drive for my MBP. I'd like to upgrade my 160GB drive to a 256+ GB SSD.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Dave,

And I'm still waiting for an affordable 128GB or 256GB flash drive. I'm considering putting much of my home library on it (in my spare time, of course). :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Well, I don't know if I'll ever want (or need) one of these, but the Kingston 256GB flash drive (DT 310) as of about two weeks ago is now available in the U.S. And it carries quite the price tag, as one might expect.

[url=

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks