What's new

Finding (in your favorite store) CD's that come with Bonus DVDs (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Many CDs are being released nowadays with a bonus DVD in the same jewel-case. It's almost up to flood levels now...a far cry from late '01, when I first got excited over the Janet Jackson limited "All For You" release! :)

I don't buy too many of these, and I would like to. IF I can find them at the stores! The problem is that most stores are not heavily marketing them for what they are.

In a recent Video Business magazine article (free registration required to view), it was noted that:

They don't want to miss CD sales to folks looking just for the CD side of it; I get that. But I buy fewer and fewer CDs for the sake of the audio side of it...but wouldn't mind buying a music video DVD "that came with a free CD". :wink: However...I don't know what's out there, because I'm not actively shopping the CD sections and won't be for the conceivable future.

Mixing these into the DVD "Music" section might get them mixed up with DVD-A titles, I guess, since the jewel cases certainly aren't all that different. That wouldn't be the best idea. Maybe the right thing to do is treat them like SACD: put them in their own section or display, separate from the DVD-A titles or standard (keepcase-style) music DVDs. But still have a way for folks to find them easily.

The best of both possible worlds would be, for every one of these CD titles with a bonus DVD, to have about half the stock in the music section, and have a display visible from both the music and the DVD sections which contains the other half of the stock. Employees with a planogram can balance stock between the two areas as appropriate, and give feedback to management as to which needs more replenishment. I suspect it would be the special display!

Having said all that, I know it can't be an original thought. Yet none of the stores I regularly visit seems to do this.

Does anyone have a favorite store which focuses on these titles? Now that I think of it, is there a website that lists them, so I can at least know what to look for?

My dilemma is this: if Survivor came out with a "Greatest Of" CD tomorrow (or already had done so yesterday, for that matter) which had a bonus DVD featuring all of their great MTV-era videos, I would want to own that ***NOW*** (upgrading from the CD I already have, just to get the DVD). But I doubt I would have a clue it was released unless either an HTFer posted about it, or I stumbled across an ad while doing the Weekly Roundup (and I've stopped looking at the CD pages in the ads, pretty much).

But having an easy way to browse for these, in-store or on-line, would probably garner quite a few purchases of these, at least on my account.

Any ideas?

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
For this to really catch on, it would have to outsell the single cd without the dvd, by a substantial margin. I think it will eventually catch on, i hope we get some 80s artists releases like that as well.For example i would like a Debbie Gibson release.:)

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Does somebody maintain some sort of database of such releases. I would like to get some myself provided I find something I like, but I have a feeling I have to order most of it online...

James Reader

Screenwriter
Does somebody maintain some sort of database of such releases. I would like to get some myself provided I find something I like, but I have a feeling I have to order most of it online...
Just do a search for DVD in the CD section of Amazon. That will tell you if a DVD/CD combo is available.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I enjoyed the short but entertaining DVD that came with the limited release of the Chicago soundtrack. Not sure how rewatchable it was, but the fact that they offered the DVD not only got me to buy that version of the soundtrack, but also got me to buy the actual media, instead of buying it from the Apple iTunes Music Store, or just getting it from a less than reputable online filesharing network.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Just do a search for DVD in the CD section of Amazon. That will tell you if a DVD/CD combo is available.
Good suggestion, and one that at a quick glance nets me one item to add to the wishlist. :)

The problems I have with that as a resource are that 1) it is in an uncategorized order, so I cannot easily look through the 244-and-growing list of releases to find the type of music I like, and 2) it is way too dependant on the good graces of data entry folk at Amazon to input the key string "DVD" somewhere in the title of the CD release.

It's a good start, but does anyone have a better way? Thanks,

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
This is tricky, as I suspect that the DVD bonus versions are rather limited in availability, mainly to give releases that have been out for a while a second push (The White Stripes "White Blood Cells was re-released with a dvd of videos, and recently Johnny Cash American 4 came out with a DVD featuring the Hurt video(a must see IMHO)).

The flip side of course is, DVD bonus editions are part of the first print run of the CDs (Bob Dylans Live 1975 The Rolling Thunder Review, Emenems latest), and are now hard to find (in my neck of the woods).

So... seeing how they are generally limited in availability, as opposed to a constant (such as Weezers Maldetroit that has cd-rom videos on it), such a database would be hard to maintain.

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
The Ben Folds Live CD sports a really really good 7 song DVD of him in concert. You should go buy that.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I have 2 CDs that have DVDs included-

Chris Robinson- New Earth Mud
Dave Matthews Band- Busted Stuff

I think this is a good idea to restore interest in the
sagging market. This might lead to classic titles to be
re-released with interview DVDs. I would like to see
more of these. Another fresh idea to get more people to
buy music is maybe lowering prices. Some retail stores charge as much as $20 for popular CDs. No wonder the
industry is suffering. :thumbsdown:

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Here are a couple more with bonus DVDs...(music video+ extras)

TORI AMOS/Scarlets Walk ("Fairytale"-now available seperately)Sony

SHAKIRA/Laundry Service SE("Objection"-but NO "Whenever, Whatever"

PINK/MIzzundahstood (comes with bonus DVD)

I want to know *WHEN* WEA will see that they can make money by putting out TORI's last Video collection on DVD, which they cancelled at the last moment...

***Update: WEA are said to be releasing a TORI AMOS "best of" CD set in the fall-here is when we could see the postponed/delayed DVD of her Videos...

I will second the Ben Folds Live ccd/dvd and also add that the recent Zwan (Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins new album) cd/dvd had an interesting interview dvd attached. Not high on the replay scale, but an interesting introduction to the new band mates as well as some songs that can not be found on the cd.

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
The White Stripes Limited Edition with DVD is actualy still availiable as I got one off amazon a while ago. The Strokes also released a Bonus DVD with their cd recently. The new Sum 41 cd also had a DVD but its harder to find now. and the ZWAN CD also has a bonus DVD which someone already mentioned here.

-Mike

Joshua_W

Second Unit
Metallica's St. Anger CD will come with a bonus DVD of the band performing all of the songs on the new CD live.

Brian Bernardin

Auditioning
On the other hand, Spock's Beard released a two-fer DVD set ("The Making Of 'V'" and "Don't Try This At Home"), which included a bonus CD of live material and session work from their "Snow" album. One could also get this CD when ordering the "special edition" version of "Snow", but what fun would that be?

"V" and "Snow" are amazing albums, by the way.

Here's three more that were packaged as a CD/DVD combo.

Eric Clapton - "One More Car, One More Rider" - This is a 2 CD set with a DVD (2 hrs) of an LA concert.

Rush - "Spirit Of The Radio, Greatest Hits 1974 - 1987" - This is a single CD packaged with a DVD containing 5 videoes.

Ringo Starr - "Ringo Rama" - This is a single CD packaged with a DVD titled "Ringorama Land". It's a behind the scenes feature on the recording of "Ringo Rama" including clips of Eric Clapton & David Gilmour.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Remember when I said all of this in my first post?
Best Buy is singing a new tune so far as high-resolution audio goes.

The electronics retailer has begun mixing its DVD-Audio and SACD (or Super Audio CD) discs with its other audio CDs in the music section. Previously, they were merchandised in the DVD video section, mixed with the music videos and musical movies.

The chain started the new merchandising scheme a few months ago and should be finished rolling it out to its stores by the end of this month, a company spokesman said.

“Best Buy is always looking to get behind technologies that enhance our customers’ entertainment experiences,” the spokesman said. “These are exciting formats that our customers are interested in, so we want to support them.”

The number of DVD-Audio and SACD titles varies by location, but the chain carries more than 200 of them, the spokesman said.

The move, however, has nothing to do with Best Buy’s plans to beef up its stock of pre-recorded music. Executives of the Richfield, Minn.-based chain discussed those plans last month during the company’s fourth-quarter and fiscal-year earnings call with analysts (VSM, April 6-12).

“It’s simply part of Best Buy’s ongoing effort to stay in front of technology and offer our customers exciting new formats,” the spokesman said.
Read the article for the full text. There's lots more there, including comments about this strategy from the founder of DVDTalk.com Geoffrey Kleinman.

It's an interesting read for any fan of music on shiny round discs in any format.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The Jackass soundtrack comes with a bonus DVD. I should be getting mine from Amazon soon! I can't wait to see what it is.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Nick Cave's latest effort with the Bad Seeds, Nocturama comes with a bonus DVD that includes the astounding Babe I'm on Fire video, 15 minutes of pure madness. Worth it if you're into anything even remotely Nick Cave-related.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks