What's new

FINALLY, Love Boat Season 4, Volumes 1 & 2 coming out on DVD on 10/2/2018...details below (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
That would mean you never met anyone who went to baseball games, played golf, went on day trip sightseeing, visited museums or took their families to a big lunch or went out on a picnic etc. which would indicate a very narrow group of people you've associated with while so many other normal people in life did their activities in the daytime on a Saturday if they so desired and just wanted to relax in the evening. (and many other people don't stay out late Saturdays because they also have other activities planned for Sunday morning. The kind that the entertainment industry usually forgets that many people in this country do as part of their routine and who then might go out for a big Sunday noon dinner afterwards which is why they won't necessarily spend big money for dinner on a Saturday night out of the house).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I think CBS finally pulled the plug on future DVD releases for this. :( It is available on CBS All Access for streaming purposes for anyone interested.

I tried to get that here where I live, but we don't have the fastest Internet, so it doesn't work for us (we are on mobile hotspots w/Verizon).

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I think CBS finally pulled the plug on future DVD releases for this. :( It is available on CBS All Access for streaming purposes for anyone interested.
Do you think that applies to other stalled Paramount shows like Bonsnza, Beverley Hillbillies, Ben Casey , Our Miss Brooks.
I wonder if they would farm these shows out to other companies?

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
I've seen an All Love Boat and Price is Right Channel on Pluto TV

dstrong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Damon
I remember an interview with Bernie Kopell where he said each episode had what the cast and crew referred to as the "graveyard corner" because it featured a veteran performer who hadn't worked in a while.

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
Yeah, I've been seeing them on CBS access. The picture quality is great. You can also see episodes on Airytv and Pluto TV for free.
The picture quality is good on these episodes. I wonder if they are using 4X3 HD prints (remastered) for the streaming views. Are these the prints they would have used for the DVDs?

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten

Streamin' be the death of DVD.
Further, this doesn't bode well for season 6 DVD set including Hyde and Seek with super cute Kim Richards...

They took so long with it the DVD era has come and gone! or at least gone.
Good to know later seasons available in HQ streaming via CBS (and elsewhere for free, though @ lesser quality no doubt).

This show for me is similar to Moonlighting in both the era, to some extent, and that I didn't think much of it (and romantic comedy) at the time but can appreciate more now. Thusly, I'm certain there's quite a few episodes I've not seen.
(I think the nostalgia factor also colors my opinion).

Great to see all the cameos and guest stars.
I read that The Love Boat was inspired by Oh! Susanna so it's only fitting that Gale Storm guested twice (seasons 3 & 9) -
the original sitcom cruise director. Seems they might have hinted at an inside joke?
I think I've only seen one of the two episodes she appeared in; will have to check them both out soon.

Last edited:

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
I'm glad I downloaded a big bunch of Love Boat episodes from CBS.com before it became Paramount Plus because they stopped doing DVDs of the series and Paramount Plus has a strong block on it. The episodes from season 5 through 10 especially--the ones that didn't make it to DVD. It's good that on most of the episodes they used some seemingly remastered prints for the stream.

I wish that Paramount Plus would start a part in their classic shows section that concentrated on old short lived shows from the 70's/80's that Viacom/CBS owns. Viacom/CBS(Paramount) has some of the best older short lived shows made. That Canadian site--CTV--has a throwback section that airs some short-lived shows from the early 80's that were produced at Sony/Columbia. I'd like for Paramount Plus to do the same with CBS/Paramount shows.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
That Canadian site--CTV--has a throwback section that airs some short-lived shows from the early 80's that were produced at Sony/Columbia.

Would Bring 'Em Back Alive (that 1982-83 CBS adventure series w/Bruce Boxleitner, et al.) be one of those shows?

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
Yes I looked at the list of Sony/Columbia distributed shows and "Bring Em Back Alive" is one of them--but I hope Fabulous Films is going to put that out on DVD this year.

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
Sorry--I thought you were asking if "Bring Em Back Alive" was a Columbia show. It's not on the CTV site but it's a Sony/Columbia show I wish they had on there because they have shows from that company.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Sorry--I thought you were asking if "Bring Em Back Alive" was a Columbia show.

Oh no-- it was from Columbia, I knew that; I just asked if CTV was showing that particular one based on what you said about them showing old short-lived shows that were from CPT (whether CPT was the only one, or working w/other people), and thus Sony-owned now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks