What's new

FilmStruck Shutting Down 11/29/2018 (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
New[/b]
025161b6-3089-4e51-b66c-07213a36839f.png

NEWSLETTER – OCTOBER 26, 2018
9d94f1ac-8636-4222-a3bb-e81754f0b0c5.jpg

News About FilmStruck
We have some sad news to share: earlier this morning, Turner and Warner Bros. Digital Networks announced plans to shut down FilmStruck, the streaming service that has been our happy home for the last two years. Like many of you, we are disappointed by this decision. When we launched the Criterion Channel in 2016, we had two goals: to ensure that our entire streaming library remained available, and to address our audience in our own voice. We’re proud of the work we’ve done, bringing curated programming and the full range of supplemental features to the streaming space, championing a diverse array of filmmakers from beyond our collection and creating original content that invites you into...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Wow, I've never heard of these folks. Were they a big player in streaming or just a little niche group? I don't recall seeing their app in my Roku list of apps.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It's basically The Criterion Collection's streaming service. They moved all of their content to FilmStruck from Hulu. There's WB content as well.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I figured this might happen. I remember reading about WB setting up their own streaming site a short time ago so figured the writing was on the wall. It's unfortunate.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I figured this might happen. I remember reading about WB setting up their own streaming site a short time ago so figured the writing was on the wall. It's unfortunate.
Very unfortunate, I wonder what happens to Criterion's streaming titles next?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hang onto your physical media for classic films.
This has nothing to do with physical media for classic films as you're not paying to own these films digitally with what Filmstruck offered. This streaming service was more like a rental option than anything else.

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean

I can guarantee that the new Warner streaming site will have few , if any, classic titles.

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
This has nothing to do with physical media for classic films as you're not paying to own these films digitally with what Filmstruck offered. This streaming service was more like a rental option than anything else.

If you rely on streaming, whether music or video content, it can be taken away from your access at any time based on whatever whim a corporation or an artist may have. Once you have the CD or DVD or Blu-ray, it's yours forever.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you rely on streaming, whether music or video content, it can be taken away from your access at any time based on whatever whim a corporation or an artist may have. Once you have the CD or DVD or Blu-ray, it's yours forever.
We all get that, but I'm talking about Filmstuck and what was its business model which was more like a rental streaming app than anything else for classic film lovers. When you signed up for Filmstruck, they tell you that they rotate film titles in and out. It's not about ownership with that service. You want that then buy discs, but most people don't want to do that any longer which is why streaming and downloads have taken off among the masses. Furthermore, there are plenty of film titles that still haven't been released on disc or are no longer available to buy except for outlandish prices on Ebay that may be available to rent or whatever on some of these streaming and downloading services.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
We all get that, but I'm talking about Filmstuck and what was its business model which was more like a rental streaming app than anything else for classic film lovers. When you signed up for Filmstruck, they tell you that they rotate film titles in and out. It's not about ownership with that service. You want that then buy discs, but most people don't want to do that any longer which is why streaming and downloads have taken off among the masses. Furthermore, there are plenty of film titles that still haven't been released on disc or are no longer available to buy except for outlandish prices on Ebay that may be available to rent or whatever on some of these streaming and downloading services.

+1

Once you have the CD or DVD or Blu-ray, it's yours forever.

Unless it develops a defect and becomes unplayable, gets lost, is in a physical format that is no longer widely used or playable, etc. Physical media isn't infallible either. Don't get me wrong, physical media is still my preferred choice, but I've had more than a couple examples of how buying something on a physical format did not mean that I had it forever.

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
A few weeks ago I had to throw away my Blu-ray copy of Criterion's Walkabout because it would not play in certain areas of the disc. When I got my new disc I noticed the old disc had a brownish color and not a shinny metallic. It's the first Blu-ray in my collection to rot I guess.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A few weeks ago I had to throw away my Blu-ray copy of Criterion's Walkabout because it would not play in certain areas of the disc. When I got my new disc I noticed the old disc had a brownish color and not a shinny metallic. It's the first Blu-ray in my collection to rot I guess.
I would contact Criterion. They are pretty good about replacing defective discs.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay

I wasn't confused about how it works and I own hundreds of digital titles. But I do think this is one data point in the long period of things settling in, and I do wonder if pre-90's movies will be too niche to be a part of "a la carte" streaming packages.

I probably confused the issue unnecessarily by choosing "physical media" as the symbolic point of reference. But the reality is that if we want to access classic films, we are more likely to have to "collect" them in own ownership form or another, rather than assume they will one day all be at our fingertips. Time will tell.

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean

I don't disagree, but even on an extensive site like FilmStruck, with a huge catalog, you were still limited to what they had available at any time. I remember seeing they had "The Fallen Idol", and planned to watch it very soon...When I went back a week or two later ...POOF, it was gone ! Therefore, I could not watch it WHEN I WANTED to watch it. Someone made that decision for me.

Not to mention that while FilmStruck had one of the greatest film catalogs available for streaming, it's technical side was pretty poor for many users- not just myself- especially those who owned a Roku unit. There were several screenings I had to abandon due to the excessive buffering (none of which was a problem with any other app)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't disagree, but even on an extensive site like FilmStruck, with a huge catalog, you were still limited to what they had available at any time. I remember seeing they had "The Fallen Idol", and planned to watch it very soon...When I went back a week or two later ...POOF, it was gone ! Therefore, I could not watch it WHEN I WANTED to watch it. Someone made that decision for me.

Not to mention that while FilmStruck had one of the greatest film catalogs available for streaming, it's technical side was pretty poor for many users- not just myself- especially those who owned a Roku unit. There were several screenings I had to abandon due to the excessive buffering (none of which was a problem with any other app)
And there isn't anybody arguing that point! All of the titles available to them is on a limited basis. Poof, I'm done talking about Filmstruck's business model. It sucks that they're gone in 30 days and there's no way of getting around that reality for me.

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
And there isn't anybody arguing that point! All of the titles available to them is on a limited basis. Poof, I'm done talking about Filmstruck's business model. It sucks that they're gone in 30 days and there's no way of getting around that reality for me.

I totally agree. It was a great site that offered so many titles I had been dying to see. And now it will be gone soon, because film history and film art are considered "niche" by the bean counters....

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
You can thank A T & T for this. A T & T just made a 86 Billion buy out. And FilmStruck was part of the deal.
Funny. Right after the sale. FilmStruck is going down.
Now you watch. They will start a new online deal. It will take sometime. But it will happen. And you will get 50% less. And pay 50% more. I call A T & T. All Trash & Trash. And Comcast is part of this mess also.
A T & T and Comcast are the worst of the worst. And I for one will not deal with them. They are to big.
I must wonder who got the kick backs to let this 86Bukli

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks