What's new

Films That Personally Offend You (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
KILL BILL VOL.1 Don't know exactly why but this film irritates the hell out of me.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Zen me precioussss lad your post personally offends and induces anger in me.:angry:

:D

Films that offend me eh? hmmmm I remember The Patriot starring Mel Gibson pissing me off for reasons I won't go into.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Films fitting the description quoted here...

Not many, but at the top of the list for me is "Ready to Rumble." Oh this film makes me so angry...not just because its an unfunny 2 hour waste of time, but for reasons that go way beyond that.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I've never been offended or whatever by a movie, but I have been pissed off because of a few. Here goes...

-Bowling For Columbine
-Roger & Me
-Lord of the Rings (Any of the three)
-Moulin Rouge (They can die for using a Nirvana song in the movie. Kurt Cobain would be outraged.)
-Scary Movie 3 (Pretty funny, but I know David Zucker can do much better than this!)
-American Pie 1/2/Wedding ("He's humping a pie! How funny!" :rolleyes)

Alright! I'm not alone! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Zen, thanks for saying LOTR. Now I don't feel really bad about saying that it makes me angry. ;)

MattThiel

Grip
"Mission Impossible 2" and "Mercury Rising". I have seen worse movies, but I never, ever got the sense that these filmmakers were even *trying* to make a good film.

"Ulee's Gold". I have never walked out of a film before, but I wanted to walk out of the theater within the first 10 minutes. In retrospect, I should have left...

"Cookie's Fortune". A marginally better film than "Ulee's Gold", even though it has a much better cast.

"Orlando" and "Ratcatcher". I turned both these movies off after watching only the first half. Why? I had no idea what was happening on screen.

"What Lies Beneath". I am a fan of Robert Zemeckis, but this movie made me angry.

"American Psycho". I think we should have more movies involving killers who *love* to commit murder. Seriously. But they shouldn't have horrible acting like this film.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I would have to say, any of the formulaic chick flicks where the moral of the story is:

You have a nice guy for a boyfriend, but he's boring, so go ditch him for some new dude that will take you (but is also super nice) and fall in love forever.
Yeah, right. Normally being a nice guy I get offended by the "ditch the nice guy for the new guy" movies.

I think the "personally offends you" takes more than just dislike (I'm pointing at the LOTR haters like Tony-B :D)

I think the subject is more, where the very idea of the movie offends you. Not just, it was boring (Tony-B and LOTR, you crack fiend :D), or stupid (Scary Movie 3), or horrifyingly predictable (80% of chick flicks), because too many movies that exist are like this.

I think the subject is about movies that "OFFEND" you with a capital O. Like the comments on the historical racial propaganda-type movies.
I guess for the guys that are offended by Michael Moore movies, I kind of understand - I feel the same way about *cough* FOX news *cough*. I'm familiar with Moore's movies but I've never seen them.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Dave, WillG (the starter of the thread) said this...

Heh. Don't go into details. We'll get this thread shut down!

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I remember voicing my disgust of BOAN being on the top 100 of all time list, but then remembered those are often "Most influencial 100" not "best 100"

One of my friends looked at the top 100 list and said "Well, it's on the list." "It glorifies the KKK." "It was made before 1920, any film from that time would."

That comment baffled me...

KyleK

Second Unit
Any film with scatalogical "humor." I just don't think its funny to see someone get his crotch kicked, smacked, exploded, set aflame, removed, destroyed, yanked, etc. Baby's Day Out has to be the worst offender. Guy gets his crotch set on fire by a baby then stomped out by a guy who doesn't know when to stop. I also can't stand other kinds of scatalogical humor.

The only film I can forgive for this is Planes, Trains and Automobiles, because the rest of the film redeems it.

Kyle:D

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Freddy Got Fingered. This movie is so bad I watched part of it and felt like writing a nasty letter to someone. That kind of vile.

Bob Roberts - this is a movie I wanted to like. I like Tim Robbins. But this movie came of as so cornball that it bothered me from beginning to end. The sad thing is, there were certainly great moments in it. There were some good laughs, some decent writing.. but when it plodded, it plodded badly, and it stopped having a real political-commentary meaning as it did devolve into craziness.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
The collected works of Michael Moore come immediately to mind, for reasons I can't discuss here...

"50 First Dates", by virtue of the soundtrack (crappy covers of classic 80s tunes...Sandler could buy and sell all of us, so why couldn't he pony up the dough for the original tracks?)

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Calling it as I see it.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

You mean like Sleepless in Seattle? :D

The ones that I don't understand are the movies that feature someone ditching their fiance, who is usually pure EVIL!!!, in favor of the cutie that they met just two days ago. The question I always have after those movies is how the hero/heroine of the story got to be so dumb as to get so deeply involved in the first place with such an EVIL bastard :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

For me there is no question but that it deserves to be on the list. No matter how ‘best’ is defined (unless best is taken to mean that it has to align with a particular political or moral philosophy).

Still offends me however.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I know what you mean. I was being driven mad watching "Unfaithful" What a vile story. I really wanted to turn it off, but my girlfriend would not let me.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Uh, no I'm pretty comfortable with the word "offend", in the case of LOTR. Nothing to do with the wonderful production, great sets, costumes, music. Nope, just the content and intent.

Thank you

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
The mutated dog in The Fly 2.

I'm not bothered by much, love gore, realism, violence, and no words affect me. Seeing humans get blown away and to bits in movies and all kinds of monsters is what I love.

But that dog trying to eat in that movie is hard to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks