What's new

File sharing w/my wireless network? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

how difficult is it to enable file sharing if i already have a wireless network setup?

basically i've got the "master" pc, then two other pc's that wirelessly connect to it.

it seems like it should be pretty easy to configure but when i started goofing around trying to set it up, it started asking for all sorts of stuff, wanting to run a wizard, blah blah blah.

that's about as far as i took it before i thought i should ask here, so please excuse any advance stupidity on my part.

master pc = xp home
two pc's = win98se

anyway, thx!

ted

ps: john berger...i know you're out there! :)

Robert Mc

Auditioning
My wireless hardware came with sharing and mapping software that would basically map the drives and printers automatically so that all the machines on the network could use them.I use Intel Anypoint RF wireless network. So check to see if you have sharing and mapping software that came with your wireless hardware.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Ted: Sharing files from your main computer is pretty easy. Right-click a folder you want to share, click on sharing and security, then check the box that says share this folder on the network. Go onto the other computers, click My Network Places/Network Neighborhood, then click the name of your primary computer. The shared folder/s should show up, which means you're ready to share. :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
robert - afaik, the hp wirless thing doesn't have any additional software for file sharing. it only came with a control panel type app. but i'll double-check.

brian - i'm gonna crack up if it's that easy. thanks!

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
john berger...i know you're out there!
Much to the dismay of some. :D

It should be as easy as Brian stated; however, you might have issues regarding security and authentication depending on the operating systems that are involved. Windows 2000 in particular is very anal-retentive on its security. I've had loads of issues with mounting my 2K systems from non-2K systems. That's certainly good because it means that there's security in place, but it can cause some headaches if you're not expecting authentication problems.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
there he is! ;)

i'll be sharing a folder on a xp home box to a 98se box. the only reason i'm doing this is because the 98box has a burner on it and i'd like to copy some large files from the xp box.

i'll give it a try tonight....

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Since XP is based on Windows 2000, you might run into authentication issues.

If so, what you'll need to do as add the user of the Win98 system (it does have a network user account even though you might not know it) as a user of the Win XP system and add the user to whatever group has access to the shared folder. Even if you share the folder out to "everyone", you still might get authentication issues.

Now, on the other hand since XP is meant to be used more by the home user XP might have slightly laxed authentication in comparison to Windows 2000, so you might not run into any problems whatsoever. I just wanted to give you a heads up, though. ;)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i feel like a total doof! brian had it pretty much nailed.

the only problem i had was trying to find the share via network neighborhood. when i tried that i got some error.

so i just mapped it via windows explorer: \computernamefoldername and it found it instantly.

i did notice that the file transfer speed is terrible!. i assume this is because i have 128bit wep enabled. i may have to momentarily (don't worry john...only for a moment :) ) disable that...i'm trying to xfer over about 200mb! :D

thx again all!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks