What's new

Fastest processor I could install? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I have a Shuttle HOT-637/P mobo with a 440LX chipset, AGP port and 128MBs of RAM. right now I have a Pentium II-300Mhz running on it now. The fastest system bus is 66Mhz, just curious what's the fastest processor I can buy and still run on it? My infosheet on it lists a 333Mhz but perhaps that's just a little outdated. BTW, I have tried running it at 333Mhz but I get alot of IPFs and stuff..
Not sure if it's worth it or not, I'm guessing its not, how much would an old PII-333Mhz chip be. I forget what kind of socket it's on, but a rough estimate would suffice.
Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks, does my multiplier have anything to do with this? According to my documentation, the highest mulitplier is 5.5 and my system bus is 66mhz, that makes roughly 366Mhz. Now I'm not an expert at this CPU upgrades, but does that mean the highest CPU speed my mobo supports is 366 or is it just based on your system bus speed, which in my case, would be 66mhz, so I could get a 450Mhz cpu chip or something like that as long as that uses a 66Mhz bus and that would work? Perhaps I might brush up on a FAQ or something..
Of course, I just checked some prices on some CPUs....
eek.gif

Jay

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Have you checked Shuttles site??? If they don't have anything listed there then 333Mhz is the fastest you will get. You can only run processors that use the 66Mhz bus and nobody makes those anymore. Another thing is that your Mobo is Slot 1, there are no more Slot 1 chips. But still the board is a 440LX, and MOBOs are cheap, as are processors, ram, etc.....Why not build a nice little Athlon system like this:
Mobo: Shuttle AK31A - $85
Proc: AMD Athlon 1Ghz 266Mhz FSB - $77
RAM: Crucial 256MB DDR PC2100 - $37

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hey, still trying to check Shuttle's site www.shuttleonline.com but everytime I do, some applet is freezing Netscape 4.77, both at work and at home so I haven't yet been able.. might try IE soon.
Sounds cheap, except I probably would need a new power supply, I hear those Athlons are power hungry CPUs.. My power supply might be even older than the Shuttle Mobo, but I vaguely remember giving my old P133 to my sister and getting a whole new minitower and a motherboard...
Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks guys, I was finally able to connect to Shuttle's website, and 333Mhz would be the fastest CPU I could put, which makes my Motherboard worthless to upgrade. Hence, I'm checking out Kelley's suggestion as I speak. Kelley, you've got mail! I just sent you an email. Been checking out NewEgg's site.
Jay

JohanK

Second Unit
I can also recommend Newegg.com really good prices and great service.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hey everyone,
I have this P3500 from Dell. I was wondering what I can upgrade this to? It's a Slot CPU, so it may be hard to find a replacement CPU nowadays, but I'll try.
I can't really do much to this computer because I'm not able to change the motherboard.
Basically, I just want to upgrade the CPU to the fastest that it can support (it's on a 100MHz bus).
If anyone can help me out here...maybe even with where I can find a Slot P3 CPU from also.
Thanks.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I think I might follow Kelley's suggestion and get a new mobo with an Athlon Thunderbird CPU. The value seems high and 1gig is certainly fast enough for my intended use. Newegg seems fairly cheap...
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES!
Certified HTF bike nut and mayor of
Obscuria.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Andrew, if you can't get a slot 1 CPU in a shop, then there are loads on ebay. The ones above 600MHz tend to be rarer and more sort after. The chipset and mobo will determine the fastest CPU you can install. I think that Intel changed the voltages of the chips as they got faster.
An alternative is to get a slot 1 to socket 370 adaptor which will allow you to use a FC-PGA Socket 370 chip in a slot 1 machine. I think that these adaptors will also handle voltage differences as well, but bes to check first. You'll need a 100Mhz chip, unless you can overclock your mobo to 133Mhz (You'd need to make sure the ram is P133 if you do this).
Not sure how much room these adaptors take up, especially if there's not much space inside your machine.
------------------
My HT My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks