What's new

FAQ or overview on using HTPC for scaling and progressive DVD? (1 Viewer)

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Is there a FAQ on this? I was about to buy a Panasonic RP91 DVD player until I started looking into building an HTPC. I already have a Radeon 8500 and can get the DVI -> Component adaptor for it. I could then run output from the HTPC into my TV. I am considering getting a Toshiba HDTV, and one of the few flaws with the Toshiba is that it upscales all 480 line input to 540. This tends to yield some artifacts.

So I got to thinking that using an HTPC to do the scaling and sending the input as 540p directly into the Toshiba would probably yield a better quality image rather than relying on the TV to do the upscaling. Same goes for 480i and 720p inputs.

Are HTPC-based DVD players capable of doing 3:2 pulldown, etc? And what sound cards use toslink type digital optical outputs for DVD audio? I have a soundblaster live platinum 5.1 and I don't think it has a toslink out - just some proprietary spdif connector in the back. I haven't looked at the livedrive that closely, though. Even though the card can decode dolby digital I would rather output the raw audio from the DVD into my receiver and let it do the decoding..

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

The SB series are not popular as it doesn't pass direct "bit for bit" digital- instead has some elaborate resampling system. If you want to use a HTPC for DVD playback- probably best to invest in a Maudio card- as those seem to be the popular worry-free solution.

Again, a search on Maudio in AVS will yield more info than you could shake a forrest full of sticks at...

-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks