What's new

Evil Dead Rise (2023) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Seems odd to have this many reviews out for a horror film a month in advance of the opening. Seems like most of them don't usually even screen for critics.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
evil-dead-rise-still-image.jpg

Here is Alyssa without the contacts and bloody make-up... but almost as un-nerving!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm kind of wondering if this is really going to be too gross for me. I've loved all the Evil Dead projects so far, but seeing the scalp ripping and cheese grater scenes in these trailers makes me wonder what they're not showing. :eek:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm kind of wondering if this is really going to be too gross for me. I've loved all the Evil Dead projects so far, but seeing the scalp ripping and cheese grater scenes in these trailers makes me wonder what they're not showing. :eek:
The reviews are definitely going to get me to go see it (honestly, that it's an Evil Dead movie will get me there) but yeah, the trailer that I saw makes it look like it's in Terrifier 2 territory where it's not scary, it's just gross.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member

The original had some pretty gruesome scenes (pencil in the foot, etc.) as well. Granted, the special effects back then were relatively low budget but still, the act is comparable to scalp ripping and cheese grating. :D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just got back. I thought it was a pretty generic horror film with lots of gore and little originality.

Didn’t feel like an Evil Dead film at all to me despite the few callbacks.

I enjoyed Renfield more. Considering the high score at RT, I may be in the minority but I was expecting way more..especially with the Evil Dead name. Disappointed

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
By the way I also didn’t think this film was scary at all. I didn’t jump once. Pretty much all about the gore unfortunately.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Just got back. I thought it was a pretty generic horror film with lots of gore and little originality.

Didn’t feel like an Evil Dead film at all to me despite the few callbacks.

I enjoyed Renfield more. Considering the high score at RT, I may be in the minority but I was expecting way more..especially with the Evil Dead name. Disappointed

Thanks for the feedback, Tino. I had high hopes for this after the trailer but maybe I'll wait until I can watch it at home.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thanks for the feedback, Tino. I had high hopes for this after the trailer but maybe I'll wait until I can watch it at home.
I would never tell anyone not to see a film just because I didn’t like it Joe. If you’re interested in it, I of course suggest seeing it and making up your own mind. You may love it.

And then again………..;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Still riding pretty high at RT. Unusual that the critics and audience ratings are about the same.

1682111049430.png

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I would never tell anyone not to see a film just because I didn’t like it Joe. If you’re interested in it, I of course suggest seeing it and making up your own mind. You may love it.

And then again………..;)

Well, you and I have similar opinions on many films, so I'm relying on your feedback exclusively. ;)

I know I'll see it - it's whether it's in cinemas (generally preferable for films like these) or at home. I would have to go by myself, though, if I do go to a cinema...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I pretty much agree with this review by James Berardinelli

“Younger viewers or those new to the genre may wonder what’s special about this film. The answer: nothing. This is yet another victory for nostalgia over originality.”
April 21, 2023 | Rating: 2.5/4 | Full Review…
Critic profile image

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks