What's new

Epson 5000 / 6000 series owners: Any issue with grinding gears? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So apparently this is a pretty big problem, widespread and not something Epson will cover under warranty:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1449027-epson-5020ub-owners-thread-36.html#post39310226

Here's a link to a user designed fix:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1609002-epson-5010-6010-cinema-filter-error-grinding-noise-red-light-fix-pics.html

And another where the repairer actually went and replaced the shitty plastic gear with a metal one:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1609002-epson-5010-6010-cinema-filter-error-grinding-noise-red-light-fix-pics.html#post30416170

Mine just started doing this, going to have a friend try to do it since my warranty is bust-o. Planned obsolecense sucks, get the extended warranty on all Epson PJs is my new mantra.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Follow up: Have had to sent it to an authorized repair center for out of warranty repair. NOT happy. Or any other of the 7 dwarves.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sam Posten said:
Follow up: Have had to sent it to an authorized repair center for out of warranty repair. NOT happy. Or any other of the 7 dwarves.

Mind if I ask what the estimate on that is? I'm not having this issue, but if it ever happens, I might as well have my sticker shock and heart attack in advance..

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok. This is very interesting. I don't think I'll buy an Epson projector if they've not addressed this problem.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have to say that I'm on my second Epson projector, no problems whatsoever with either. (The first was an SD projector I got in 2006 - I rarely use it anymore, but it still works perfectly when I do.) And the one time I needed Epson customer service, it was hands down one of the best experiences I've ever had.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
So apparently this is a pretty big problem, widespread and not something Epson will cover under warranty:

Cant be a big problem, I have not heard of it until now.

Keep us posted, too bad you are out of warranty :-(

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
$250 later my PJ is back, the vendor says they changed the AUTO IRIS, not the Cinema Filter, and never tested it hanging from ceiling style.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

So far it doesn't sound nearly as bad, will see how it goes but I am not confident it will really have done jack.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
$250, you got off cheap....you should be posting :P :P :P

Hmm...did you test the auto iris before sending it off for repair? - it is a very rare / weird failure.

I turn the auto iris off on Epsons when calibrating....I see them to be quite annoying.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I use th THX modes and I'd have to check but pretty sure they turn auto iris off. It does a check on start up and moves things around tho apparently. The PJ still rattles violently on start up, regardless of what is doing the shaking, but is quite quiet in operation. Hoping I can get another 18 months out of it before I upgrade to 4K.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The guy who looked at it last time will take another look tomorrow. I hope to not have to replace it. You know my thoughts on fake 4k but if I have to replace in 2016 I think my only recourse is going to buy the 5040, even with my frustration with Epson! I will definitely hold off buying anything until after CEDIA tho, and may try to go to CEDIA myself for the first time ever. I'll be sure to give Epson a piece of my mind if I do, this situation with their corporate run around is very vexing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Good luck!

If the $2999 pseudo-4K Epson is good, I'd be hard pressed to buy a $1999 HD projector instead. I'd be looking hard for a 10% discount on the Sony 45ES if it were to be a consideration.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
$140 on top of what I paid last time. Frustrating expense for what is obviously a defect. If it gets me to CEDIA 2017 and reasonable priced 4K PJs it will have been worth it

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks