What's new

Episode II 27 x 40 Poster Information (1 Viewer)

Bill Geiger

Second Unit
Hey Guys. I figured I would ask here since any of you would probably know poster values. I just recently purchased 2 27 x 40 Episode II posters... very cheap I might add. I was wondering what the resale value would be. These are in perfect condition and would sell one sooner or later if the price was right. If you wouldn't mind, can you give me some ideas? I'll tell ya, this is going to look good on my wall.

By the way, just purchased 6 27 x 40 frames from Suncoast for $20.00.

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Hi Bill,

The resale value will largely depend on one thing: are the posters you have single-sided (picture on the front, white paper on the back) or are they double-sided (picture on the front, reversed picture on the back)?

If they are single-sided, then they are the editions that are made for resale, while the double-sided are the ones that are designed for display in theaters (this is due to the backlit poster dispays theaters have now. Single-sided posters appear "washed-out" when backlit). The dimensions and artwork are probably the same between the two types, so as a relatively inexpensive decoration for a home theater, resale posters are a good deal.

However, the posters with any real value for a collector are the double-sided kind. If you're looking to start collecting movie posters, keep in mind that older movie posters (pre-backlit days) can be single-sided and still be authentic.

If they are double-sided and you want to sell one, I'd say that a safe time to unload it is right around the opening of the movie. That'll give the hype a chance to work it's magic, but won't give too much time to allow potential negative reviews to spoil the market. As to how much, who knows? I've seen good posters go for anywhere from $20 for a run-of-the-mill movie to many, many hundreds for rare stuff.

Also, if they're authentic (double-sided) and you want to preserve their resale value, DO NOT dry-mount them when you frame them. Doing so will negate any resale value they might have had. This may mean that they'll sag a little in the frame, BTW.

Hope this helps!

RogerB

Second Unit
I don't think that they have released any official posters for Episode II yet. If you have one - it's priceless!

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
So far, there is only one official poster for Episode II out there: it's a profile shot of Anakin and Amidala, facing away from each other. It's actually a fairly nice looking poster.

RogerB

Second Unit
The official banner measures 9' x 5':
ep2.jpg

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Yep, that's it. They have a one-sheet of it, too. The theater that I part-time at has a couple (haven't been able to get my hands one yet, though! :))

RogerB

Second Unit
Dry-mount is a method of gluing a poster to a piece of foam board or cardboard. It makes the poster nice and flat but renders it practically worthless to a collector.

Bill Geiger

Second Unit
The poster above is the correct one... however I have the 27 x 40 version. It looks fantastic in the frame!

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Peter-

A good, professional framing can usually make a poster look good even without dry-mounting. The poster may sag a little over time, but overall it'll look fine. The problem with professional framing is that it's expensive. If you go this route, make sure you emphasize that you do NOT want the poster dry-mounted.

A friend of mine has a good approach. He places the poster on a sheet of acid-free foamboard, then wraps it in clear mylar, taping the mylar to the back of the board. By pulling the mylar as tight as he can before he tapes it, the poster is held pretty flat and he's only out the money it took to get the board and mylar (any decent hobby or craft shop should have them).

The favorites of my poster collection I have professionally framed, the others I have my friend do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks