What's new

ENTERPRISE 04/16/'03: "Horizon" (1 Viewer)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Enterprise 04/16/'03: "Horizon"
episode: #46
original airdate: April 16, 2003
writer: André Bormanis
director: James Contner
synopsis: "Mayweather discovers his father has died and that things on his old home, the E.C.S. Horizon, have greatly changed."

Generic title. Generic "family-interest" episode. Written by Star Trek's long-time science consultant. That's not a good mix. It will perhaps render Mayweather even duller than he seems already.

I don't expect much.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
The preview looks horific. It looks like a parody or something.
Mayweather and the actor who plays him just dont do anything for me.

Poor Trek.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Eeech.. They don't come any more formulaic than that!!

That Mayweather is about as exciting as a bowl of bland flakes..

But the excitement over at Enterprise made the other parts of the show worth while... :rolleyes

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
On the next very special Enterprise Event...

yawn...I'm not even going to record this weeks episode.

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
well, I have a SP for it, but it got bumped down in priority, so it may not record until Satrday...

Not like I will be missing much...

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i liked this episode. it was a decent person story pushed episode. kinda like a lot of the better next gen episodes.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, I missed it because UPN decided to show one of those talent shows at 7 instead of Enterprise. So, I got Arsenio on tape, but no Enterprise. I'll have to catch it on Saturday.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was really hoping to see what T'Pol thought of Bride of Frankenstien. It would have been interesting to see how they handled her reaction to the black humor.

Nelson

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Speaking of T'Pol, anyone notice she ate food she touched? Popcorn during the movie. In the VERY first Enterprise episode she made a real point of the fact that Vulcans never touch their food. Even cut and ate a breadstick with her fork!

As for this episode...bleh!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The franchise is on freaking creative life support. I can't take much more of this. I'm cycling back through my TNG discs for another sequential nightly run. Watched, of all things, first season's "Code of Honor" after Enterprise and enjoyed myself so much more (well, enjoyed myself period). And "Code" is such an embarrassing, overly Roddenberry-esque TNG episode.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Time to damn with faint praise...

When details about Enterprise first started leaking out two years ago, the idea of the "boomers" was one I liked, a lot - there's a great, old-Astounding/Heinlein feel to the concept of family-crewed vessels that take months to travel between destinations (but are still the fastest things available), and the idea that they would have an uncomfortable co-existence with Starfleet was a neat bit of world-building. I can be very easily pandered to with stuff that seems like it comes out of old issues of Astounding (see also my raves for Broken Bow, and a couple episodes earlier this year).

And writer André Bormanis at least seems to be interested in the science stuff - he doesn't take gravity for granted in the first scene, and does slip a bit of sense-of-wonder into Enterprise's encounter with the rogue planet (although, really, how does a planet get into what's apparently a cometary orbit?).

And yet... All these ideas floating around, and nothing really interesting happens. Mayweather's brother feels betrayed. The rest of the crew watches a movie - and even that misses the mark; it just seems absurd that Tucker or Archer would be surprised at T'Pol sympathizing with the monster in Frankenstein - everybody does. Phlox's interest in Victor's methods is more unusual. A B-story about T'Pol learning about humanity through its popular art might have had potential, but it just peters out.

I enjoyed Horizon; it kept my attention enough that I wasn't doing crosswords while watching (my typical way of watching shows I'm only half-heartedly interested in). But, again, I'm frustrated by how there are ideas here, rich "historical" material that could really make a prequel show worthwhile, but the producers just can't quite seem to wrap their brains around how to use it.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
First time I decided to skip the first half of the show, and didn't really care what was happening. I came in around 8:30, and was able to pick up what was happening instantly. Not usually a good sign when the first 30 minutes of the show are worthless.

WHEN will Paramount wake up and realize that a change in the shows direction isn't needed for Season 3, but FRESH BLOOD is what this thing needs?

They could be doing so many interesting Klingon War stories, or Federation Birth stories. Maby even a season based on the creation of the Federation fleet for pete sakes..... but the way it's going now is unacceptable.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Someone here noted that Enterprise, like Voyager before it, doesn't accept spec scripts. Next Gen did.

I wonder if the reason why the Star Trek franchise has been such a failure lately is because they've cut off their one source of fresh ideas.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
An appallingly bad episode. It looked all the worse, because I've been watching a lot of DS9 episodes lately and remembering that, not so long ago, the Star Trek franchise had interesting writing. fine actors and genuine drama.

M.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It almost slipped my mind that I had the previous 2 Enterprise episodes recorded. This show has nothing to say, nothing to offer besides the production values of being on the Enterprise and on the other worlds they come across.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks