What's new

Emergency! Coming To DVD Tuesday- Whos Buying? (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Dave, the problem is that Universal's DVD's seem to be defective on at least one disk out of every set. I have suffered from this problem as well. I have experienced problems with Buck Rogers, A-Team, Brady Bunch and a few others as well. Not only that, but this idiotic pricing for the Emergency set at $35 for 12 episodes? This is why I'll be passing on this set.

I really had my plans set on buying this set but I'm so tired of these DVD-18 disks because of a particular problem with one of my Magnum PI DVD's from my Season 1 set. The top side of the disk gets smudged from the box shell for Season 1.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I also hate double sided discs. There is no way to keep from scratching them. One side is always pressing against the jacket cover.

I am going to rent this series and any others that come double sided.

I will say tho, I am very happy to see this series on DVD. I grew up loving this show. It will be nice to see them without commercials and logos.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I have had issues with every Universal set I've bought that used DVD18. Problem is this a faulty layer change, tough to detect unless you watch all the eps in real time.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

I'm watching the set right now. I'll post a full review in the next couple of days, while y'all can still benefit from street week prices. Sorry for the delay--it's a lot of content, and the discs only showed up on my doorstep this evening.

So far, I have finished the pilot and the second episode. It was fun to see how the paramedic squad was formed, and how Gage and DeSoto met. The picture quality is not perfect, but very good considering the age of the source. I am impressed by the vibrant color palate. I think you have to keep something like this in perspective--the larger your screen, the more flaws you will notice. I also think I need to track down that tape measure and check out DaViD's rules of sitting distance. :)

Now for the fun part...

Universal was kind enough to also include two additional copies of the set, so there will be a giveaway posted in the review thread! Now I just need to figure out some sort of trivia contest questions... hmmm...

- Steve

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator
I've already finished watching the entire 1st season, and now I'm ready for the second season! Hopefully it won't be long before we hear an announcement about another release.

Emergency! was every bit as enjoyable now as it was 30 years ago. The picture quality and sound may not be as good as a recent season of CSI or 24, but it was better than I remember the broadcast airing over 30 years ago.

This is certainly one of the timeless classics in TV history.

Now I'm off to finish the last episode of McCloud and start on Adam-12. :)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I have no issues with the transfers Emergency looked good and Adam 12 looks great. It's just the DVD-18's, the layer breaks on these disks are really terribe and I've tried them on different machines, they all about stop for a few seconds.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I watched the first side of Adam-12 yesterday. While the image is great, unfortunately episode 6 freezed up on me. Since this happened on a relatively new player, I'm sure it has something to do with the DVD-18 pressing. Also, something else I found odd...the first side was suppose to have 7 episodes, while the flip side has 6. Pulling up the "title" option, it shows the first side having 12 epsiodes. I chapter-skipped ahead to 8, and the first show began playing. I'm guessing that Universal encoded 12 episodes on the first side (with numbers 8 thru 12 being dupicates of episodes 1 thru 5).

All and all, I'm still happy with the set, and hope Universal releases the other 6 seasons too.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'll be sure to give it a layer change torture test. I don't like DVD-18 either, but it's not for the concern that the discs themselves are flawed... it's because my 40-year-old eyes can't make out the fine print on the inner rings of those discs directing me to side A or side B. I need pictures and big print, like a kindergartner. :)

I'll take up with the set tonight... meanwhile I have to get to work!

- Steve

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I don't understand all the difficulties that people seem to have with DVD-18. I have never experienced problems with them. What is the pause that everyone talks about? I have just finished Magnum - the Complete First Season, Dragnet, and Green Acres among other DVD-18 sets and they played beautifully. I do agree that they are far easier to damage, and they can be a pain to flip, but I would rather have them than cut episodes.

Jim Saunders

Agent
I picked up the last copy at my local BB today. I'm about to sit down and watch the first few episodes. My daughter just turned 4 and I'm curious as to how she will take to it. I remember watching it and loving it when I was as young as 5. I'll post a quick review here either later tonight or tomorrow.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's the earliest show I remember. In fact, it's one of my earliest memories. I was laying in a crib at a daycare, wearing diapers, and it was on. I don't know why I remember that, but I do.

I haven't started the set yet--been watching more movies than TV lately--but I should start it tomorrow. I watched the entire run twice through a few years back, but it'll seem fresh on DVD. I can't wait until the episode where:

the cute girl's toe is stuck in the bathtub faucet, and Johnny's too embarrassed to help her. It falls to Roy, who says he doesn't mind since he's married. :D

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
In the interest of time, and for those who plan to go shopping Friday and Saturday, I'll say that Emergency! Season One has exceeded my expectations.

The picture quality improved when I got to Side B, probably because there was not as much content to encode. Side A includes the 2-hour pilot (less commercials), plus two other episodes. Side B includes three standard-length episodes. While I was looking for and finding imperfections on Side A, they were minimal on Side B. The worst of it is dirt and speckles--not bad for a show that is 33 years old.

The colors were vibrant and at times very Seventies. Remember Harvest Gold appliances?

The Dolby Digital 2.0 sound is mono, but full.

I had no layer switch problems.

My only disappointment was that there were no extras--none.

I'll post a full review as soon as I can, probably Saturday. Meanwhile, I would not hesitate to pick this up, especially while the sale prices are good.

- Steve

Jim Saunders

Agent
I watched side A last night. I dont recall ever seeing the Pilot episode before, but it has literally been years and years since I've watched the show at all. I found it to be enjoyable and the picture quality good for the age. I would also recomend purchasing this.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
My copy is still on the way. I swear, Amazon Prime shipping is slower than molasses in January. It didn't even ship until Thursday. :angry:

peggy

Stunt Coordinator

Thank you! I am certainly glad to hear I am not the only one having that problem. :)

Also thanks for the quick review, I was wondering if I wanted to buy this since I don't remember it all that well but it certainly sounds like something I don't want to miss.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

I've noticed that WB has solved this little problem (at least on some releases {Dallas S.3 for one}, which will probably continue in the future on 2-sided discs), and that is to simply eliminate altogether all the writing on Side B of two-sided DVDs. That way there's no eyestrain required to ID the sides -- if it's got ANY writing on it at all, it's got to be Side A; and the blank side is Side B.

Some people dislike this one-sided labelling; but IMO it's a very good idea. There's simply no reason at all to label Side B.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Universal does the same thing. One side has the writing, the other doesn't. Also, they tend to use a lot of different colors, so you can usually distinguish between sets at a glance (if you have several in rotation, in different jewel cases, as I do). It's not working for Adam-12 and Emergency, though, since they both have red! So, I just have 30 minute shows in one area and hour shows in another. It's nuts getting this organized just to enjoy a little TV on DVD! :)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I think it looks cheap to put no printing at all on one side of the disc- they should use the ENTIRE center of the disc for printing, like a small laserdisc. That's how I label my 2-sided blank discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks