What's new

Embarrasing DVD collections. (1 Viewer)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I'm going down Paul's list like a checklist. I think I've got all of his categories covered.

My feeling is that if people didn't want you to see their collection, they wouldn't have posted a link to it. Its often fun to go over others collections. Every once in a while you'll find one that you would be compelled to ask why they thought they were "purchaseable", much less viewable. But then I think to myself, "I'm not going to ask them to justify Mission 2 Mars if they don't ask me to justify Rabid Grannies and The Swarm". :D

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I have a friend who buys discs on a whim all the time but refuses to let any of them go. Here goes a typical conversation:

Me: You boughtThe Mummy Returns??!!
Him: That one part was cool...

But I'm sure others think the same of me...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm proud to be one of the few people with films like Citizen Kane, Lawrence of Arabia, and Metropolis...as well as Kung Pow: Enter The Fist, UHF, and Big Trouble In Little China.

Although, I don't know what to say about a collection with 8 1/2 and Road House.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I got into the vicious cycle of buying DVDs just because "I wanted more." I would just be wandering through the aisles and suddenly feel compelled to buy titles like Predator 2.
Even now, I'll look at my collection and ask myself questions like, "Why do I own 'Red Dawn', and not 'To Kill a Mockingbird"?

I own about 320 DVDs, and for the past few months, Ive been methodically weeding out all the titles that I feel are not "must owns". I'll gather up titles like "The 13th Warrior" and trade them in for titles like "The Big Sleep"

Its a slow process, but I feel as though Im nearly there.

I do have a few titles that some may question, but every DVD I own is a movie I love.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I can justify some things (er, "Reindeer Games: The Director's Cut") because of a certain director (though I draw the line at John Frankenheimer's "Prophecy").

Also, I take very perverse pleasure that my copy of "C.H.U.D" sits right next to "CItizen Kane" in alphabetical order. MGM is the biggest offender in my book— after all, I probably wouldn't own the "Deranged"/"Motel Hell" two-fer if it hadn't only cost me $10!

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I have a lot of classic and foreign films, but I also have many bad movies in my collection. However, for most of these, they have some kind of cult (mostly the horror films I own) or nostalgic quality (TMNT movies, G.I. Joe series). Plus, of course, a few guilty pleasures (Charlie's Angels).

There are some, though, that I either got for free or purchased a long time ago but now regret - i.e. Dr. Dolittle 2, Remember the Titans, Farscape and Andromeda TV shows, American Pie, etc.

This discussion kind of reminds me of the scene in Ghost World where the Buscemi character talks about blues music with his date. He's a snob and she likes a blues rock band.

I feel the same way about movies. I cringe when people tell me they "love movies" and then add that their favorites are films like "American Pie 2" and the Brendan Fraser "Mummy."

BTW - look at my DVD collection below.

Joe McKeown

Stunt Coordinator
Honestly, I don't see the debate at all. A fair number of my collection were blind purchases, Some were purchased by my wife and others still were gifts for which I provided no input.

Many movies I thought I would like and now think stink. Others I thought would stink, but honestly did "grow on me." I have children, and have purchased titles solely to please them.

In all, one's collection provides only a very cloudy view into their personality. I would have a hard time taking seriously anyone who would criticize personally my collection.

Wan

Auditioning
How about pr0ns? Do you guys add them to your collection list? If you think having Ballistic:Ecks vs. Sever going to embarass you, how about having Extreme Bestiality part XXI is going to make you feel? :D

I have several category III movies from Hong Kong (nudity or extereme violence) and I track them in my collection. I don't have any hardcore pr0ns though. Really. Honest. ;)

My collection

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I am like no other in the world.

I could give a s**t about what other people think of my collection......they're not watching them :D :D :D

I AM!!!

GarySchrock

Second Unit
There are some, though, that I either got for free or purchased a long time ago but now regret - i.e. Dr. Dolittle 2, Remember the Titans, Farscape and Andromeda TV shows, American Pie, etc.
Well, if the farscape embarasses you that much, you could just pass them along to me :).

Seriously though, some people just watch stuff that's different. It doesn't embarass me at all that I watch stuff that many of you might consider crap. Quite frankly, a lot of the "classic" directors and stuff just don't interest me at all. I'm certainly not going to tailor my movie watching experience to what someone else thinks is a "proper" list of movies.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Movies, like speakers, are the most personal choices a person can make for their HT. There's no right or wrong, everyone just has different tastes. I don't feel uncomfortable with other people looking at my collection, not that I have it posted.

I'm usually very selective about the movies I buy. If I haven't seen a movie before, I will always rent it first to see if its worth adding to my collection. There are a couple of impulse purchases that I wouldn't repeat. But oh well...

I think my collection varies quite a bit from classics such as Lawrence of Arabia and The Guns of Navarone to martial arts (Fist of Legend, Sword of Vengeance) to newer blockbusters such as Harry Potter as well as some sappy movies my lovely wife bought (Cutting Edge, Fools Rush In). Some people may agree with our collection and others won't. This just provides for the debate and discussion of movies on this and other forums which is what its all about.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I bought the new Emmanuelle Collection because I really liked the way the cover-art looked :emoji_thumbsup:

But really, embarrassment should come at the moment of buying. If you aren't embarrassed to buy a title, why would you be embarrassed to own a title? I guess I can understand DVD gifts, but I don't see that making up more than a small portion of any collection. Personally, there are titles in my collection that I look back on with regret, not out of embarrassment but out of the fact that I don't watch them more than once or twice.

Bruce

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
All I can say is that I have some titles that I don't like but my kids do, and I probably have some titles that others hate but I like. I really don't care. I find it rare that I look at anothers collection and like most everything they have. Don't worry about it. Place your collection online. We won't judge you for it.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Mmmmmmmm... prawns.....

My collection is meager. I'm only sixteen with no job and can't afford to buy DVDs often, so I buy what I can.

To look at my collection, you can tell that I really dig childish humor, like the Muppets, VeggieTales, Scooby Doo, etc, but I'm also really into Star Wars and LOTR like virtually everyone else here.

Jedrek

Stunt Coordinator
To avoid people asking me why I have a movie in my collection, I right my opinion of it and why I own it underneath the title for all to see.

I know some of the films in my collection are considered by the vast majory to suck, but I own them either because: A) I like 'em or B) they remind me of a certain period in my life.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
A few years ago I found myself staring at a DVD collection of over 800 titles due to my working in the industry at the time. Since then I've been actively reducing that number although it's still too high for my taste.

The odd thing is that I have a much easier time letting go of some of the classics and a harder time parting with the dreck. I happily sold my copies of "The Passion of Joan of Arc" and "The French Connection" but here I am holding onto copies of "Bring it On" and "The Beastmaster."

Beneath the dignified, high-brow film-lover exterior lurks a die-hard B-movie fan and I'm afraid my shrinking DVD list is reflecting that fact more and more every day. I think I need professional help.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
"Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense", "The Accused", "The Muppets Take Manhattan", "Lethal Weapon: The Director's Cut", "Snow White & The Seven Dwarves", "Commando", "Amelie", "Singin' In The Rain", "Desperately Seeking Susan", the "Back To The Future Trilogy", the "Die Hard" trilogy, "Moonlighting: The Pilot", "Earth Girls Are Easy", "Oliver & Company", "Reform School Girls", "Ruthless People", "Fatal Beauty", "Victor/Victoria", "Scarface" (1983), "The Running Man", "Network", "Spaceballs", "Demolition Man", "The Goonies"...

Just a smattering of the many DVD titles I have managed to acquire. I enjoy them all, and I hold no shame (except for "Action Jackson" and "Sharky's Machine", and that's only because of the transfers, not the movies themselves)

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

And I'm only 20 years old!

Al Stuart

Stunt Coordinator

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I generally filter my collection every year of the crap I can't believe I actually bought. (Generally I throw them into my parents collection). However, I stand by the 300 I have now. Basically I buy the movies I enjoy, no matter how frowned upon they may be (Zoolander still makes me laugh).

Still, I'd love to know what all of you think.

My Collection

*Side note: I bought the Vista Cerise Pearl Harbor to show off my home theater system... I really do think its bad, but laughably bad. Much like an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks