Ed: Might Be Hope Just Yet

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Michael Martin, May 2, 2003.

1. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

According to a report on AICN Coaxial, Ed might be coming back for a 4th season after all.

IF the show comes back, I'd like to see the writers planning the season out. Not in detail, but to have a basic idea of where the plots are going and what they want to do with the characters. I'd also like to see the show end after season 4, or at the latest, season 5.

For once, I want a show that is strong go out completely at the top of its game. I DO think there is humor and drama to be wrung from Carol and Ed finally being together, but it's going to change the show. One or two seasons is good enough without having to resort to a lot of Sam-and-Diane antics.

Just my own opinion, of course...

2. Trenton McNeil

Trenton McNeil Second Unit

Please!

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

So, will we soon see retractions from the folks who claimed NBC was trying to kill Ed by putting it on Friday night?

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I loved Ed, but it should not come back.

Ed was a romance. In a romance, the guy gets the girl. When the guy gets the girl it is time for the credits to roll and the house lights to come up and the audience to file out.

5. Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes Second Unit

I would take another year of Ed and the quality writing of that show, over Fear Factor 2 anyday, which is what NBC may put in its place. Quality TV is hard to find and hopefully the life of Ed will continue.

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I hope that Ed will return for a fourth season. I, also hope that this past season's final episode was not their "Shark-jumping" moment. Remember what happened to Moonighting after the two main characters went to bed together.

7. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

What can you do after Ed and Carol get together. The whole story of the show is Ed chasing Carol. Trust me I would love to see another season of Ed this is one of my favorite shows on TV. I just dont know what they could possibly do with the characters besides mess with there situation and do make up brake up the year which would piss me off. With all that aside, How could this show be going away!

8. Michael Hughes

What about the many shows where the couples are already together and did it kill Friends with Monica and Chandler?, What about the Bob Newhart Shows, Dick Van Dyke Show, etc? Especially both Newharts where it closely resembles Ed's style in quirkiness and comedy. These comedic shows succeeded on a couple format. Why does everyone think this well written, smartly thought out show would nosedive now that they satisified the public's appetite with the ending of this chase. I think the opposite has happened, and many viewers were turned off last year when they did not get them together earlier. Now they may have another chance to create a 2nd life for this series.

I know the couple demise has happened before in Cheers and Moonlighting but you could argue those shows were running out of gas anyway. In fact, it probably helped Cheers achieve new life as they ditched SLong for the better and gave the show new focus for 5 more years.

I would expect the writers of Ed to continue with more of the same wit, and continue to build up some of the supporting storylines even more. Warren Cheswick in College, Molly and her new Beau, Carol starts a new career, Ed's law practice continues, and now we get to see Carol and Ed in action finally. Screw the romanace of ending the show on that high romantic note, lets see them in action in forging there new relationship and continue this quality show. There are so few of them to let them bow out. This show has not jumped the shark.

9. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

10. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

11. Michael Martin

12. Jim Douglas

Jim Douglas Second Unit

13. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    AICN has a piece up saying that today's "Hollywood Reporter" reports that "Ed" has indeed been renewed!! [​IMG] The official announcement of NBC's fall schedule is this afternoon.

In addition, NBC has also renewed its outstanding freshman series "Boomtown", and is moving it to Friday at 10/9. Assuming they leave "Ed" in the 9/8 slot it moved to for the final 3 episodes of this season, NBC has a one/two punch that could make Friday a "must-see TV" night for the first time since "The X-Files" hit the airwaves a decade ago. [​IMG]

14. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

Today's Washington Post is reporting that Ed has been indeed renewed.

15. Michael Hughes

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

17. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

18. Michael Martin

Here's to hoping they don't get jittery and break Ed and Carol up right off the bat (or ever, even). I'd like to see the writers challenge themselves by exploring the relationship now that it's explicitly romantic, and see where it goes.

19. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

What's sort of interesting is that Ed will be back on Wednesday nights in the 8 p.m. timeslot (followed up The West Wing and Law & Order).