What's new

Ed 12/17/2003 (1 Viewer)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Ed continues an upswing - barely - and the NBC promo department once again proves that it's utterly out of touch with reality.

From the promo, the main storyline of Ed and the old classmate looked like classic soap opera stuff, but it was handled very well. It's very real situation faced by nearly everyone in a committed relationship, and I thought the writers and actors did a good job.

Carol's refusal to talk to Ed about her "true" feelings about the job had me yelling at the screen. I'm glad she came clean in the end, and saved us all some truly painful episodes. And, as we all predicted:

Ed and Carol will remain in Stuckeyville!

I thought the lawsuit was lame - not the idea of it, but how it was handled. It was funny seeing Ed getting irritated with the self-important NYC attorney, though.

Mike, again, had some great moments: bluffing the contractor on his own home improvement skills; and his check up on Ed at the bowling alley and doing the slow turn and lights out.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I guessed the mistletoe kiss. I admire Ed's fortitude. Me, I'd have to give serious consideration to Madchen Amick. :)

I was cracking up with Mike, wearing stilts, swatting Ed's shots on the basketball court.

Overall, a good episode for the holidays.

Can't believe NBC is putting "The Apprentice" on in Ed's Wednesday spot. Grrr...

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
huh? where/when/why is Ed moving?? (with Tivo, I never keep track of when things are on, but I'd be checkng that "ToDo" history to see WTF happened next Wednesday!!)

I enjoyed tonight's episode as well, the show has been very good lately, IMO.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Could anyone summarize the episode for me? I ended up seeing the Return of the King last night and forgot to record the show.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

I'll try - others may want to fill in details I leave out or forget.

Ed and Carol - Ed prepares to move to NYC: packing up the house and his law practice. Carol, as she is preparing to leave NYC to spend Christmas in Stuckeyville, is told by her editor to stop doing work on a story Carol considers meaningful and to write a fluff piece on elevator flirting.

Carol spends the episode wrestling with the article, and comes to realize her "dream job" is not all she thought it was. However, she's reluctant to tell Ed, since he's willing to sacrifice so much to make her dream happen.

Ed runs into an old classmate of his (Madchen Amick,
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
) and sparks fly. Ed spends a lot of the episode trying to figure out what it means, since he assumed once he was engaged, his attraction to other women would magically stop. In the end, despite the classmate's willingness to go further, Ed declines any romantic involvment and stays true to Carol.

Carol writes something - NOT the assigned article - shows to Ed, who is really impressed, and tells Ed she can write the things that move her anywhere - meaning they don't have to move to NYC!

Mike and Nancy are hoping to have their home ready by Christmas, and spend a lot of the episode bugging the contractor in charge of the work. They come and see the house 2 days before Christmas, and Mike accidentally puts a screw through a water pipe, thus ending their chances of getting the house done by Christmas. Mike tells Nancy he wants contractor stilts for Christmas.:D

Ed takes on a "last" lawsuit before leaving Stuckeyville - a man getting sued by his neighbor because of his Christmas display. The man bringing the suit is represented by his own son, who is now a snotty NYC attorney. They agree to settle the suit by having the neighbors vote on whether to keep the display; the initial vote is a landslide against, but Ed gets inspired and asks the neighborhood kids to sign a petition and thus wins the vote.

Not a GREAT episode by any means, and it had some annoying "why don't they just talk to each other" moments, but overall a continued upswing for the season. Let's hope we have more episodes like this week's and the previous one, where Ed and Carol basically get along and deal with things together.

Brett_H

Second Unit
Michael Martin,

Based on the preview last week, I was dreading this episode, fearing it would be another contrived example of trying to tear them apart, but like you said for some reason it just worked. It was believable, and I found myself actually getting ito it and coaching Ed to TELL HER he's engaged! Good stuff, and I must say he's got quite a bit of willpower.

Anyone know what happened to Phil, Eli & Shirley? AFAIK, there was no explanation given for where they were, only Ed calling for Phil in the beginning and explaining it away as he was on another "4 hour lunch".

Oh, and how about that 300 lb. guy coming out of M&N's master bath after dropping the kids off at the pool? I'd be too scarred by the sight of that to ever use my own throne again!

-Brett.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
It's not that the NBC promo department is out of touch with reality, it is they are just misleading as hell. When they had the promos for Ed to ask Carol to marry him, they kept showing a buggy ride in Central Park. I never saw that on any of those episodes.

The promos for last night's episode implied a possible break up and confrontation between Carol and Ed. We can do without these misleading promos. I think the show can stand up on its own. Too bad it is moving to Friday again, though. This might indeed be the last season.

MattBu

Stunt Coordinator

When Ed was standing in the bowling alley I felt like they were practicing for a series finale.

Any show that has Madchen Amick in it, is great IMO :b I only wonder why she dyed her hair blond. I've always thought she was the sexiest brunette on TV. Hard to believe I've had a crush on this woman since the Twin Peaks days!

Ed is becoming annoying of late. I think I would've killed Carol after all the hell she's put the poor guy through. I still believe the biggest flaw the show committed this season was the rapid courtship. In 2 episodes they were moving in together and next thing you know, weeks have passed.

NBC is also at fault for choosing Wednesday. That day is waaaay too busy. My PVR works overtime trying to get all the shows. Especially during November sweeps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks