What's new

EB: Trade 2 DVD's for Lord of the Rings (1 Viewer)

Travis D

Second Unit
Well, I didn't see it posted so I felt compelled to share this. My local Electronics Boutique is running a promotion that lets you Trade any 2 DVDs (as long as it's in their computers) and in return they give you a voucher to come and pick LOTR up on street date. Supposedly they will also take promo DVDs like Lost in Space and Stepmom. That bit of info came from the DVD Bargins section of DVDTalk.com. What I did was I bought 2 $3 DVDs at a local Mom n' Pop Shop and traded those in. LOTR for $6 is not to damn bad. As long as they are in reasonable ahape and have their inserts, it'll trade.

James D

Second Unit
Tony- according to the thread at dvdtalk, you'll be able to snag the widescreen version. The guy that started the thread and dished out all the info is a manager at an EB, so I think that it is a safe bet that it'll be available in widescreen.:emoji_thumbsup:

Travis D

Second Unit
Yes, I requested that it be the Widescreen Edition and said that's what they'll get. Also, if they give me a fullscreen edition I can always remove the wrapping and trade it in at Circuit City for the WS version.

Jon Torres

Second Unit
What 2 DVDs did you buy for $3 each? It's hard to know which cheap dvds to buy not knowing what's on their computer list.

ShawnF

Stunt Coordinator
I just traded in The Mask and Fools Rush In. Both were promos from when I purchased a Sony DVD player two years ago. Both DVDs have "Promo - Not For Sale" on the casing. I never even took them out of the shrink wrap.

The transaction was painless!

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Call me stupid, but are these two USED or NEW DVD's? Seems like you are talking about NEW DVD's because you had to go to a Mom and Pop to pick them up, but then you say that they only need to be in reasonable shape with inserts later on in the post.

I have a few DVD's I wouldn't mind getting rid of, but I doubt I would go to the trouble of trying to flag down two very cheap NEW and unopened titles.

Fill an idiot in. Thanks.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
This is a load of BS..I went to EB last Friday and traded (TRIED)in My HACKERS and GET SHORTY and the guy at the counter tells me that the DVD's were not NEW enough and they are worthless and I cannot trade them in for the LOTR. They have to get a DVD that they can SELL for OVer $10.00 a piece before they do the trade.

Just some Info on this deal for the ones that want to try it!

Good Luck!

Angelo

PS. BTW..the DVD's I wanted to trade were in MINT condition with all the inserts!

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
I traded "6 Days/7 Nights" and "Stargate" that were promos with my Toshiba DVD player. The manager in Indianapolis said that they would take any 2 DVDs as long as the titles came up in their database, regardless of their value. No problems here. I'll be picking up FOTR (widescreen) next Tuesday.
BTW, I would suggest taking 3-5 different DVDs in case they won't take certain titles.
JKS

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Well, I went in to my local EB today with 4 movies...two promos and two others. Promos were Stepmom and Stargate, and the others were Swingers and Escape From New York. I love the latter two, but because both are coming out with SE's later this year, I can part with both of them now.

My local EB would NOT take the promo's so it seems like it's store specific. If you are going to do this, I also suggest bringing in multiple titles as well for safe measure.

Travis D

Second Unit
They wouldn't take Hackers? Man that store sucks. Also, the only reason I went to a Mom n' Pop store is because I didn't have any DVD's I wanted to get rid of.

JaredB

Agent
The EB I went to in LA also said that they would take ANY two DVDs (new or used) as long as the inserts were intact and they came up in their system.

For some reason, Inventing the Abbots didn't come up in their system, so I'll have to go back. Funny, they wouldn't take Inventing the Abbots but they'll take the beat up copy of The Punisher that I picked up for four bucks. (just for this deal of course)

The manager mentioned that the Punisher came up in their computer as only worth $3 but under the rules of the promotion they would have to take it. (I actually think they're being a little generous with the value on that title)

Also, as I understand it, this is a once-per-person deal and runs out on August 5th. You will be given a voucher for your two dvds that allows you to come into the store on the 6th and pick up LOTR.
I wonder what EB will do when they find themselves trying to unload thousands of horrible DVDs....

BillBobs

Grip
I traded in used copies of South Park: Timmy and South Park: Winter Wonderland. Great deal, thanks for the tip!

JoelB

Auditioning
I just got back from EB and did this deal. Thanks Travis!! I traded in a crappy Tarzan (Casper Van Dien) movie and the old Highlander edition. The clerk said they valued them at $3 each. Not a bad deal at all. I had previously taken these 2 to Music Warehouse and they wouldn't even buy them.
I was really hoping the EB had the LOTR in the back, then I could be watching it now :D

EvanB

Stunt Coordinator
did this at the ebx at mall of america today. traded in my promo mask and without limits without any hassles. does anyone know if i have to pick the dvd up on the 6th? im going to be out of town in colorado, so i cant get it until the next week. thanks guys....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks