What's new

Easy Cable management (1 Viewer)

blabolat

Grip
Real Name
Ken
I"m not sure what everyone does for cable managment, I do know it is a mess and a constant issue for me.
I've looked around and have found no good ways of managing cable, so I created my own and thought I'd share since I haven't seen anyone use anything like this.

It is very very simple and whats better, it costs like $7.95 to do a complete cable management system.

sump pump piping.. available at any box hardware store

11N179_AS01.JPG

just slit length wise, throw all your speaker cable.. power cords, component cable, HDMI cable into it.

Actually, it adds this very modern looking component, cause no one knows that its sump pump tubing.

I don't have a picture of my own system at the moment since I'm doing this at work, but I will post later, if anyone is interested.

Anyway, just my solution to a messy problem and I hope I put this thread in the right place.

blabolat

Grip
Real Name
Ken
8727f21e-69b9-4632-89a6-c565c3ef4043_zps6cab408b.jpg

In this picture, of my old projector screen I had setup, you can see the piping across the window there.. not a very good pic, but you can get an idea.

blabolat

Grip
Real Name
Ken
Jim Mcc said:
That screen is REALLY LOW !!
Yeah, I had it that way, I don't like looking up. I find it rather tiring.. I"m not sure how people can have their screens up above their fireplaces or anywhere they have to look up.

Talk about duct?

mmm ok, not sure but it's all in quotes so not sure what that means.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Fairly unobtrusive. I had to look at you picture for a minute to see that it was on top of the window.

I like it. It keeps them together and out of sight. Mine are in an equipment closet, only visible at the bottome (now covered) and from the back. I'd keep your idea in mind if my equipment was in sight. Thanks for sharing.

blabolat

Grip
Real Name
Ken
tv.jpg

This is a bad pic of what I'm working on now, my screen on a modified tv mount, but you can see the piping, maybe..

It was nice since the tv is off the wall, and really any cableing would be visible.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dumb question...

But what on Earth are you running through there?

Based on where your equipment is to where the screen is...what?

The only thing I thought was in there were six speaker wires.(are you running dual center? And that is height correct? Looks like you have three speakers on the shelf...and a speaker under the screen...in addition to the wall mounted towers)

blabolat

Grip
Real Name
Ken
schan1269 said:
Dumb question...

But what on Earth are you running through there?

Based on where your equipment is to where the screen is...what?

The only thing I thought was in there were six speaker wires.(are you running dual center? And that is height correct? Looks like you have three speakers on the shelf...and a speaker under the screen...in addition to the wall mounted towers)

Basically just speaker wires..

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
blabolat said:
Yeah, I had it that way, I don't like looking up. I find it rather tiring.. I"m not sure how people can have their screens up above their fireplaces or anywhere they have to look up.
I find it ironic that this is the correct way of doing it but because its impractical in most situations its somehow considered incorrect. Dont you believe it sir, you did good and a display should be as close to eye level (when seated) as possible. In your case the only drawback is your screen is not acoustically transparent and as a result your center channel speaker is too close to the floor, the sound wave interaction with the floor likely affects your center channel clarity.

blabolat

Grip
Real Name
Ken
Type A said:
I find it ironic that this is the correct way of doing it but because its impractical in most situations its somehow considered incorrect. Dont you believe it sir, you did good and a display should be as close to eye level (when seated) as possible. In your case the only drawback is your screen is not acoustically transparent, meaning your center channel speaker is too close to the floor and the sound wave interaction with the floor likely affects your center channel clarity.
Thank you,

Though accoustical clarity never crossed my mind concerning the speaker on the floor, I do have a top speaker. I thought in my strange logic that a top and bottom speaker would equalize some how, somewhere in the center. ..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There are AVR out there with height(Yamaha started it) channel that offer Dialog Lift to eliminate the need. I assume that is height you are using...not just more L/R...

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
blabolat said:
Thank you,

Though accoustical clarity never crossed my mind concerning the speaker on the floor, I do have a top speaker. I thought in my strange logic that a top and bottom speaker would equalize some how, somewhere in the center. ..
Its good that you discovered dual centers will not raise the sound but rather will create dual sound waves interacting with each other and result in acoustic nulls. A better solution is to correct at a processor level. Something like "dialog lift" where the processor splits the center channel to the center channel and an additional pair of speakers mounted high and outboard of the mains. Still not prefered to a center speaker mounted behind an AT screen (like in a commercial theater) but it does work really slick as a compromise. And even then the same rule applies, your low center needs to tilted up towards the listening area and picked up off the floor as much as possible without interfering with the screen.

blabolat

Grip
Real Name
Ken
Type A said:
Its good that you discovered dual centers will not raise the sound but rather will create dual sound waves interacting with each other and result in acoustic nulls. A better solution is to correct at a processor level. Something like "dialog lift" where the processor splits the center channel to the center channel and an additional pair of speakers mounted high and outboard of the mains. Still not prefered to a center speaker mounted behind an AT screen (like in a commercial theater) but it does work really slick as a compromise. And even then the same rule applies, your low center needs to tilted up towards the listening area and picked up off the floor as much as possible without interfering with the screen.
Actually I do have "dialog lift" and I used it, too, I did have the speaker off the floor on a plank, and it was angled toward the prime lisening area.. so it worked out pretty welll, except they were lousy front speakers.

I did that project on a budget, with space saving concerns as you can probably tell the room is prett small.

I do appreciate the input. thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks