What's new

DVDs at Dollar Tree store (1 Viewer)

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
My review of the Flash Gordon DVD from the Treasure Box Collection.

Disc contains three episodes.

Episode 1:

Deadline at Noon

While on a routine mission through space Flash Gordon and company see several planets explode. Dr. Zharkov suspects an atomic force. After investigating they return to Earth. On Earth weird weather occurs and people panic. At the Galaxy Bureau of Investigation they interrogate a person who may be responsible. He states that Earth will explode at Noon. He went back in time and planted a bomb that takes hundreds of years to reach the point of explosion. Flash Gordon and company time travels to 1953 Earth to try to deactivate it.

Episode 2:

The Race Against Time

In 3063, some member planets want to end the central control of weapons by the Galaxy Bureau of Investigation. A delegate leaves to report Earth's vote to the council on Mars. They come under attack by a ray gun used by a group who wants to prevent Earth's vote from reaching the council. They avoid crash landing, but are forced to land on a planetoid. They come under attack by the same people who tried to shoot them down with the ray gun. They defeat the attackers and take off for Mars.

Episode 3:

The Forbidden Experiment

On a distant plant, a friend makes an urgent call to Dr. Zharkov. Dr. Zharkov leaves to his aide with special medicine he requested. Upon landing, he discovers that his friend was killed by a creature that forced him to make the call because he needed the medicine. Flash and Dale leave Earth to the doctors aide. After landing, Flash and Dale are also captured by the creature. The creature is half man, half lion. The Lion-Man wants the doctor to fully transform him into a human, as well as all other animals. They escape from the Lion-Man, leaving him stranded.

Audio quality is clear, but I had to turn up the volume louder than usual to be able to hear it. In Mono.

Video quality is overall good. There is film specks/ dirt visible throughout, but is acceptable. There was a digital problem on episode 3, at around 15:30 a slight digital breakup occurs around the edges. It's on and off for about 2 minutes. Video is reasonably clear.

Each episode contains 4 chapters. 1 for the beginning credits, 2nd for the first half, 3rd for the second hald and the fourth for the end credits.

There are no extras at all.

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit
I've noticed that there are two discrete brands/imprints of these dollar DVDs: The Treasure Box Collection and Movie/Television Classics. The Classics seem to be of a slightly better quality. I recently picked up (and watched) a Classics' collection of The Dick Van Dyke Show . The disc contains three episodes: Never Name a Duck (originally aired on 9/26/62), Bank Book 6565696 (10/17/62), and Hustling the Hustler (10/24/62). The audio/video quality is rather good, considering the price and the selection offers a good example of the type and tenor of the show, so I would recommend the disc.
Also brought home, but haven't watched yet: Hitchcock's The 39 Steps (I'm really looking forward to seeing this classic MacGuffin movie--I hope the quality is passable), The Jerome Kern biopic Till The Clouds Roll By (have heard good things about this musical and it does have an impressive ensemble cast), Pot O Gold (another musical, this one starring Jimmy Stewart:D ), Mark of the Hawk (with Sidney Poitier), and the following television compilations: You Bet Your Life (the original, Groucho Marx incarnation of the show), the aforementioned Flash Gordon (thanks for the reviews/synopses Douglas),a Milton Berle collection (no idea what's on this), and a Jack Benny collection (same here). I'll check back in after I've watched some of these.

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
Just went to the Bolingbrook, Illinois Dollar Tree store.

Went in and found that the display of DVD's were gone.

Looked throughout the entire store, couldn't find them.

Got some other stuff, and there by the checkout was a small cardboard box of them, then behind the cashier was another box of them. Too much of a bother looking through them right next to a busy register or asking to look at the other box.

From the original amount they had about a week ago, now to the very small selection I would estimate that they sold about 75 to 80 percent of the original amount they had.

These things must be flying out of the store.

Hopefully they'll get more in and put the display back out on the floor.

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I picked up about a dozen different titles at my local store and considering the price and the fact that they're all PD titles I can't complain much about quality. The only ones I thought really sucked was "Nothing Sacred" which was made from a very grainy print and "The 39 Steps" which wouldn't play at all. I returned them and ended up getting another three "Steps" and none of those played either.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Just to give an update, you can now get $1 blurays here.
All of them are the Mill Creek blurays.
Worth checking out.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Aaron Silverman said:
Thanks, John! Hopefully I'll get a chance to check 'em out.
It's worth going there to buy blurays of
Ernest Goes to Jail
Ernest Goes to Camp
Another Stakeout
Consenting Adults
All for $1 each.
I might even go there to buy some titles I haven't seen.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Aaron Silverman said:
Oh, I've seen those for around $5 at Target before. Not anything I need to own, really. :)
They are also $3.99 at Fry's.
A bunch of us from the HTF Hollywood meet saw them from one of our many trips there.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Visited another Dollar Tree in a different state and found a whole stack of blu-rays. Picked up a few. Not really any "must have" titles, but for $1, they could be used as spare cases if nothing else. :)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
checked today.
My dollar tree set out Shout Factory dvd's of
G.I. Joe M.A.S.S. Device
Electric Company The Best of

other stuff...
Richard Scary Busytown Mysteries (Halloween cartoons)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My Dollar Tree has a new selection of DVD and a few Blu-Ray discs. Many horror films if you're looking for some cheap views for Halloween. This is what I picked up:

1601608879510.png

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It looks like there was another re-stock of DVDs and blu-rays at Dollar Tree. Mostly HBO and BBC shows with some WB. Momentum/Magnet/Magnolia and some random Canadian* versions of Independent films. As always, your mileage may vary. objects in mirror may be larger than they appear to be. Do not back up as severe tire damage may result.

* I picked up the Canadian Version of Are You Here - released by vvvflims.ca

1611399207323.png

US version released by Millennium:
1611399571879.png

In the past I've found that the digital versions on Canadian issued disks require an email address ending in .ca to get the digital version. There is no digital code with this disc

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Apparently there was another restock at DT possibly on Monday were were still some blu-rays but they usually go first.

They were in a "scramble table" at the front of the store. As well, I found a small group of them in the "electronics" area Pretty much all of the major (Sony, Fox, Warner Bros./BBC) and a few minor companies (RLJ, Echobridge, Magnet eOne) were represented.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
When I went to Dollar Tree on Saturday 05/01/2021 it looks like the "deal of the week" is DVDs and blu-rays. There was some Shout! WB, BBC, Magnolia and eONE items. They were in a "scramble table" at the front of the store.

Oddly, I don't know if it was a mistake, there was one Olive blu-ray. EDIT: It did have a barcode sticker so it may have been part of a shipment to DT in error. It was one of the titles on sale at Hamilton books (there was some duplication between Big Lots! and Hamilton Books at Dollar Tree).

Your mileage may vary and most of the blu-rays do go within 2-3 days.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It looks like there may have been another DVD/Bluray dump at Dollar Tree on Monday. mostly Magnolia/Magnet for the blu-rays. I did see five copies of the same Olive DVD ...

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It looks like there was another dump of mostly DVDs and a few Blu-Rays at DT. Something interesting was "MgM" titles such as Radio Days and other TT Woody Allen titles on DVD. (These were in the electronics/auto/tools/lightbulb area). I did get a DVD of Copying Beethoven which has been playing on THiS -AFAIK this was not released on disc in the USofA. On closer inspection it says it is "under license from Deuce Entertainment."(It is also pressed, not burned) I know they are currently providing the discs for 99cents Only and I suspect they supply at least some of Big Lots! and DollarTree and Hamilton Books as well.

This was a barebones disc - in fact there's no menu at all. Leo roars and the movie begins. The transfer was good- though I suspect some DNR and compression issues are there.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It looks like there was BF dump of DVD and blu-rays (& I found 1 4K YMM) at the Dollar (and a Quarter) Tree. I my store they were on a endcap next to the electronics/auto/tools/lightbulb area.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks