What's new

DVD-R vs. DVD+R (1 Viewer)

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
It sounds like a DVD-R doesn't burn continuously from start to finish?
I think what Philips is saying is that since -R doesn't have lossless linking, it HAS to burn continuously from start to finish. The +R format, on the other hand, has the option to do otherwise.

You can stop recording and when you start again, it isn't a problem. Your player shouldn't recognize the fact that you did stop recording, whereas the -R fromat doesn't offer this feature and will cause your player to freeze.

Now I'm not sure if this is only for entire files, or for the entire disc. For example, could you record a short movie onto a -R one night, then record another one on another night? If you can only do this with the +R, then I can think of when this feature can come in useful quite a bit. Can someone shed some light on this point?

I also remember reading somewhere some time ago that the +R format was compatible with all players that played -R, and then some. Since this is obviously not the case, it causes me to wonder also why they would've claimed that. Since the formats are so closely compatible, with the -R & +R both being about 85% and the -RW & +RW at around 70%, I would say to check the player that you will play them the most in and get the format that is compatible with it. If you are worried about friends and family, then get the Sony recorder that can do both. But I must say good luck trying to explain to Uncle Leroy how to check his player to see what format it can read. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks