What's new

DVD player unable to recognize any CD but no problem with DVD? (1 Viewer)

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator
My 8 year old Pioneer DVD player is unable to recognize any CD but no problem with DVDs? The problem started to happend about 12 month ago that it takes couple tries for it recognize any of CDs. Lately it just doesn't recognized it period and once out of bluemoon it'll recognize 1 but it sounded bad with a lot of distortion. Also, during the initial recognizing run there are funny noise coming out like the CD is not spinning properly. Is it time for a new player? I test running DVD concert and no distortion only when its playing the 101 CD that it happen to recognized.

Any one is experiencing the same issue? Please advise?

ChrisCan

Agent
It's possible the DVD player is just dirty inside. probably wouldn't hurt to open it up and go at it with some compressed air. Just blowing air into the tray area will probably make things worse. The odd noise is probably just the laser lense trying to focus. I think cd's are read with a different laser or at a different angle than DVD.

Jorge M

Stunt Coordinator
This happened to me in my notebook computer. You would put in a CD and it would "stutter" -- it would spin up for a second and stop, spin up again and stop again, etc., until Windows would say the disc was bad. It still plays DVDs fine, though. Dell says the CD laser went, can't be repaired. Same thing probably happened to you. I doubt that cleaning the lens would help as it reads DVDs fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks