What's new

DVD or HDTV tuner DVI signal to a comp. monitor? (1 Viewer)

DanielGM

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,
I couldn't find this answered else-where so if it is, please let me know:

What is the compatibility of the DVI signal that is prodcued by DVI equipped items like the Bravo D1 dvd player(etc.) and HDTV tuners with the DVI input on my IBM P260 CRT computer monitor?
In the past I have used a VGA transcoder and gone through the s-video input, but this is low res, and the hi-res component-video transcoders (i.e. key digital) cost an arm and a leg. Will my monitor display the signal coming out of a DVD player or an HDTV tuner? If so, what will the picture be like (especially for HDTV) will it be up to par with a dedicated HDTV? (in it's day this monitor was TOTL).

Thanks for the help.

DanielGM

Stunt Coordinator
bump, and in case my first post was not clear I'll make it more simple:

DVD PLAYER ------DVI---------> COMPUTER MONITOR
HDTV TUNER ------DVI---------> COMPUTER MONITOR

Yes or No?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Check the monitor instructions to find out what DVI resolutions (640 x 480, etc.) the monitor accepts.

The HDTV tuner may output 1920x1080 (interlaced), 1280x720, 704x480, and/or 640x480 depending on the show being received. (Some HDTV tuners don't output 1280x720, converting shows of that format to one of the other formats.

It is actually unlikely for a computer monitor to accept 1920x1080 interlaced since the processing is somewhat different compared with the usual computer resolutions which are non-interlaced.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

DanielGM

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, so what you are telling me is that there should be no difference in the format of the signal between the HDTV output and what the monitor is expecting at the input? I have heard talk of YbPbG and RGBhv formats..

As stated before I have an IBM P260, it's detailed specs are here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=MIGR-4EJTHQ

scroll down to see the resolutions
It doesn't state explicitly, but it seems like they are saying it will sync-up to any Rez between the H and V scan frequency bandwidths. It also seems to say that it will only accept a non-interlaced signal. If someone interprets this differently or has some definitive info. that would be great.

I just checked and my monitor can definitely do 720p from my video card. Most HDTV broadcasts are 1080i though, correct? I am doubting that the tuner can convert a 1080i to a 720p signal...

So, those are my questions, and I appreciate any answers you can give. Also, has anyone used their monitor as a display with any success?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks