What's new

DVD is grainy on my 50H81 (1 Viewer)

Huzefa

Stunt Coordinator
What should I do? I'm using new monster component cables to connect my Toshiba sd-1600 to the TV (50H81). I put in gladiator to watch the battle at the beginning and the picture is very grainy. I don't think this is something to do with the DVD or the dvdplayer, but it could. What should I do? Can somebody suggest a referrence disc to view so I have something to compare it with? Thanks.

H

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Try "Vertical Limit" or "The Fifth Element" superbit DVDs -- very smooth, sharp picture quality (at least on my TW40X81). Very little grain. I'd also check to see your TV's 'sharpness' level, which should be close to '0'. I assume you've used the Avia DVD to lower the brigthness & contrast (from factory presets)? Not sure what else you could do.

Huzefa

Stunt Coordinator
Getting Avia today. Why should the sharpness be at 0? Right now I have it on 25.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
After Avia, the right 'sharpness' on my RPTV was 10 (0 actually looks better). Sharpness just adds unnecessary edge enhancement to the picture, making it look less film-like.

Huzefa

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Bradhay. I'll be sure to check that setting when the AVIA disc arrives.

GarryW

Stunt Coordinator
Try playing Starship Troopers, as it was rated by Stereophile Guide to HT as a reference quality disc. My kids got me this one for Fathers Day and after watching it, I agree that the video transfer is excellent.

Make sure you do a good convergence, as that will greatly affect video quality, as well as the sharpness being set too high. I have a Sharpvison 55RWP5H (HD Ready) set, and my sharpness setting with AVIA is 13.

You will get some grainy looking pictures from some discs, and these bigger screen sets will accentuate a bad video transfer.

Huzefa

Stunt Coordinator
My apologies Brajesh, I think I subconsciously put your entire name into one word. I've never heard of anyone named Brajesh; I know many Rajesh and Rakesh, but never a Brajesh. But you and GarryW were completely right. My sharpness was set to 100! I turned it down to 0 for now and the picture looks great. Once I get the AVIA disc, I think I'll have a better idea of what it should be set at. Thanks for all your help.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Okay...It's official, everyone from now on has to call Brajesh, Bradhay! :D

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
No messing with my name Matt! :)
I've been called up-da-hey-hey, u-papaya ... you name it. I'm originally from Nepal (the little country w/Mt. Everest) & considered changing my name for about a minute. I soon realized many western names were just as hard to pronounce.

Huzefa

Stunt Coordinator
You don't have to worry; my name is just as hard to pronounce. I just ask people to call me H. :D
BTW, what does ISF mean? Is that where a tech comes out and calibrates the set professionally? How much does something like this cost, and what happens if it goes bad again (is there a warranty)?
Thx

Huzefa

Stunt Coordinator
Nice, I've seen Jim Burns website, he's in Chicago. Maybe when I have a little more $$$ freed up, I'll look into it. Thx

TommyB

Stunt Coordinator
Funny...I was just experiencing and posted on the same problem. I am using a progressive scan (Panny RP-56). I went ahead and also turned down my sharpness (was at 60), but I still don't feel like it is up to par. Am I wrong in thinking that I should have a crystal clear image (like the HDTV feeds running at the showrooms)?

Also, I have not done the 9-point or Avia/VE (need to pick up the disc(s)). When can I do the 9-point...the manual says after 30 minutes of use?? When Best Buy delivered today (to my upstairs apartment), they brought it up on a dolly...slamming it down on each step. Hopefully the convergence will make a world of difference.

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
To Tommy:

You asked: "Am I wrong in thinking I should have a crystal clear image, like the HDTV image running in showrooms."

Yes, and no. Your progressive scan DVD image should look (roughly) twice as good as analog cable, better than regular satellite, _much_ better than VHS, but NOT as good as an HDTV image. Still, it (progressive DVD) often stuns me, on my 65 inch Mits -- especially if I put in Shrek, or Toy Story, or one of the Superbit DVDs such as Fifth Element or Vertical Limit. In other words, it should look very, very good, generally -- (so long as you are not playing some poor transfer, such as a $9.95 bargain-bin DVD version of The Three Stooges). Note that there are also some films with deliberate graininess for aesthetic reasons -- the movies "Pi," "Memento," and "Seven" come to mind, for example.

Get the Avia Home Theater Essentials Disc, and perform a complete, thorough, do-it-yourself calibration. Yes, you should warm up the set (at least 20 minutes), but you do not need to wait any longer, and the differences afterward will justify the cost of this DVD. (If you are really on a budget, rent it... I have seen it in some rental outlets).

Later, you can consider the TRUE calibration... You can read hundreds of testimonials from those who claim it was worth every penny.

Turning down the contrast should be immediate. I have often seen 35% as a recommended starting point. Then, the Avia will help you properly set your contrast correctly, (it often ends up between 30% and 40%), and also to set the brightness, sharpness, color, and tint. It is also strongly recommended that you turn off most of the "automatic" features which many brands include (edge enhancement, iris, automatic room lighting sensors, etc.). Almost every one of these is trying to compensate, and in so doing they are actually degrading or distorting the intended image.

I hope that this helps,

-Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FFMichael
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale